Passed CatC, But offered van work

I passed my category C licence about a month ago, I just got all my CPC/Tacho cards and stuff.

I started looking for work about three days ago applying online and walking into recruitment agencies. Despite having passed my CatC the agencies only offered me van work.

I’m a novice driver so it doesn’t seem completely unreasonable, but Is this standard? Should I take the van work in the hope they will find me some CatC work after a week or two? Or decline and try and find other recruiters?

Right now I’m of the opinion I will take the offer of van work while applying for other CatC jobs. Money is not a problem for me right now, I just want the experience.

******* UPDATE 13/6/18 *********

I fished about a bit with some other agencies and got offered some work driving Bin lorries, It wasn’t the type of work I had in mind when I took my test but the hours are comfortable and it utilises my Cat C Licence. I quite like it so far and despite it being quite scary my first week I’m getting the hang of it now. Its not a traditional driving job but there is lots of technical ability involved. I’ve probably spent more time reversing down little terraced streets and cul-de-sacs than driving forward! I feel like I’m learning a lot and that’s all I care about at this point. The management are very accepting of the fact that I’m a new pass too and are quite patient with all my little errors and questions.

I wouldn’t even consider it and would be mildly annoyed if an agency called me offering this sort of work. The only way I’d consider it acceptable is if they started with an apology and saying they were desperate - and I’d expect to be paid class 1 or 2 money for getting them out of trouble.

But it depends where you are based and how much work there is. Most agencies don’t like letting you loose with their good clients in case you upset someone and lose them business. So they throw crap at you and see how you handle it.

I’m at the point now where I’d just refuse point blank to put up with it. But when I first started on agency I was more likely to take it.

stgodd:
I passed my category C licence about a month ago

:smiley: :smiley:

I also passed my cat c last month, I have given my current employer plenty of notice as he was going on holiday and I’m the only one he has. I will be hoping to start trucking at the start of june so I’ve been sending my cv out to companies and applying to jobs through indeed. I am willing to take a rubbish wage for a while to get experience so been applying to anything. Had a couple of calls from agencies through indeed, one said need license for 3 month before working for the co-op. Today I got a call from another asking how long I had my license and if I’d driven 7.5 tonners which I haven’t and he said agencies couldn’t insure me as I didn’t have any driving experience of driving over 3.5 tonnes. After finishing the call I got the feeling he was wanting me to ask about any 7.5 tonne jobs.

Would it be worth going for it or do you guys just think he was trying it on, he has my cv so knew before he rang about when I passed cat c and that I haven’t had a driving job before.

Cheers

Gav

GavNormandale:
I also passed my cat c last month, I have given my current employer plenty of notice as he was going on holiday and I’m the only one he has. I will be hoping to start trucking at the start of june so I’ve been sending my cv out to companies and applying to jobs through indeed. I am willing to take a rubbish wage for a while to get experience so been applying to anything. Had a couple of calls from agencies through indeed, one said need license for 3 month before working for the co-op. Today I got a call from another asking how long I had my license and if I’d driven 7.5 tonners which I haven’t and he said agencies couldn’t insure me as I didn’t have any driving experience of driving over 3.5 tonnes. After finishing the call I got the feeling he was wanting me to ask about any 7.5 tonne jobs.

Would it be worth going for it or do you guys just think he was trying it on, he has my cv so knew before he rang about when I passed cat c and that I haven’t had a driving job before.

Cheers

Gav

Co-op thing sounds like garbage. I say this with some confidence as on my desk I have an offer for an assessment with them for class 1 when I had my license for just over 1 weeks. If they are willing to take on class 1’s then I can’t see them not being willing to give class 2’s a try. Maybe agency is different though.

Here is my personal tip… When I call an agency I ‘big it up’ I simply ask "have you got any class 2 work on?’ If they say yes I wait for them to demand a certain amount of experience. I wouldn’t jump in and put blocks in my way. And it’s worked for me.

I wouldn’t take van work if that was me. I didn’t pay £1700 to pass my class 2 for then having to settle for van work.

When I first passed, the agency started me off on 7.5t work. Even though I didn’t want to, I did it for the experience and I’m glad I did as going straight onto a class 2 would’ve probably been overwhelming but that’s just me. The company I was put into were brilliant with me and knew I was a new driver but wasn’t aware I had a class 2 license (don’t know how they didn’t know). I’d been driving the 7.5t for about a month and wanted to move up so made the company aware of my license and they were happy to put me on the 18t when a route became available. A week later, I was given training on the route and was handed the keys.

As I had my test in a 7.5t, I’m glad I started off on one and eased myself onto the 18t. Having said all that, if they offered me van work or even a 5.5t, I would’ve told them I wasn’t interested and looked at another agency.

Good luck in whatever you decide but if you accept van work, they will probably keep feeding you van work.

Cheemap:
As I had my test in a 7.5t, I’m glad I started off on one and eased myself onto the 18t. .

I may be having a Senior moment…but you said that you took your class 2 test in a 2 axle, 7.5t wagon? I didnt know you could do that. Or do some 7.5t have 3 axles?
Be gentle, I´m new :slight_smile:

Edit.
Ok, I did the research. Man, it´s all changed since I was on the road.

Just finished my first driving job, took the van job offered, only one day but its a start, day off tomorrow then got 7.5t work the rest of the week and possible class 2 next week so I think it’s worth taking the crap jobs if it puts you in good stead. As I have no driving experience apart from my own vehicles and work vans I’m prepared to take some rubbish.

After all my days van work was so easy, rubbish pay but so simple, stuff wasn’t too heavy and only 4 drops.

Gav

I thought a cat c was just a van licence? :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

I tease but seriously don’t turn it away it’s all experience.
I in one day often drive a fiesta van, rigid, draw bar and artic. I much prefer the little fiesta van.
Don’t be one of those drivers that only drives the biggest vehicle his licence permits… :imp: