New drivers job hunting stories

Hello Newbies! I don’t come in here all that often. Some of you may have seen that my first Commercial Motor column was about young and inexperienced drivers and how hard it is to find their first job thanks to this short sighted industry. This led to an offer for me to do a speech at the Microlise Transport Conference this Wednesday (nerve wracking) so I was hoping for some examples of your struggles to find their first driving job. Questions like what age did you pass at? How long did it take to find your first job (if you have one) or how long have you been looking so far? What made you want to be a driver (runs in family etc)? Will you give up looking if you can’t find a driving job after certain period of time and how long is it? And finally what are the main excuses transport companies have given you for knocking you back?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your stories. I’ll find a picture of the Commercial Motor column for you to read.

P.s you don’t have to be a young newbie, happy to hear from all regardless of age

This probably won’t make it into your speech. But I passed class 2 at 28. I’ve found it very easy to get work. I’ve out of choice done agency work (mainly ad hoc) with one spell of about 2.5 weeks when I took some time off my other commitments. However I have been offered several full time jobs without asking for them. I also as a test decided to apply for the ‘big’ companies to see if a new pass class 1 driver (which I got a few months after class 2) would get a look in - about a week after passing. Every single one offered me an assessment. I’m happy to back up what I’m saying with the emails etc - as my story seems unbelievable given what you will read on here.

I spread out those applications throughout the country. Andover, Southampton, Avonmouth and Rugby. Just to see how geography changes things. And as I’ve said not one turned me down due to lack of experience. Admittedly I could have failed the assessments which I turned down - but the idea that companies will not give people a change is frankly laughable.

To get into work it generally requires calling a few agencies and asking. One will say yes and will ask you to come down and register straight away. You will then probably be asked to start that night or the next day. It’s one thing that makes me really glad I did my licences - I feel that I can always get some paid work so it’s a great insurance policy.

Furthermore the ‘industry’ don’t make it hard to get a job. They bend over backwards to make it incredibly easy. You can apply for the big firms online without a CV. They call you back. And then offer you a chance. The lie of this great barrier to entry is causing far more problems than the companies who seem all too willing to employ people - and train them. Even as an agency driver they were willing to put me with other drivers (which I hated) but also let me practice reversing in the yard/shunting if I wanted.

So in your mind the fact you didn’t struggle to get your first job means it’s the same for everyone and the whole thing is just an elaborate myth? Interesting point of view I suppose. You’d almost certainly have had a completely different experience were you 18/19/20/22 etc and not 28

switchlogic:
So in your mind the fact you didn’t struggle to get your first job means it’s the same for everyone and the whole thing is just an elaborate myth? Interesting point of view I suppose. You’d almost certainly have had a completely different experience were you 18/19/20/22 etc and not 28

Frankly - yes I do think it’s a myth.

I didn’t apply to ‘Big Steve’s haulage’ and he didn’t offer me a chance because I played 5 a side in the pub team with him. I am talking about the well know national companies. If they all offered me assessments it shows they are not holding the two years experience against people. They have set policies and will go by them - not make a special exception for me because they have seen me on facebook and I’m stunning to look at :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: .

I don’t know if they would hold age against someone. It’s worth asking - as I think that people coming into this job do face a wall of negativity when they ask people about it (especially on here) - and some factual information would help. I can get you the contact details for the HR people who do the hiring if you want. I’m sure they will tell you what they accept and don’t accept.

sammym:
It’s worth asking - as I think that people coming into this job do face a wall of negativity when they ask people about it (especially on here) -

I don’t know if they would hold age against someone.

They do

sammym:
and some factual information would help. I can get you the contact details for the HR people who do the hiring if you want. I’m sure they will tell you what they accept and don’t accept.

Thank you but I’ve already spoken to a selection of companies about this issue.

sammym:
This probably won’t make it into your speech. But I passed class 2 at 28. I’ve found it very easy to get work. I’ve out of choice done agency work (mainly ad hoc) with one spell of about 2.5 weeks when I took some time off my other commitments. However I have been offered several full time jobs without asking for them. I also as a test decided to apply for the ‘big’ companies to see if a new pass class 1 driver (which I got a few months after class 2) would get a look in - about a week after passing. Every single one offered me an assessment. I’m happy to back up what I’m saying with the emails etc - as my story seems unbelievable given what you will read on here.

I spread out those applications throughout the country. Andover, Southampton, Avonmouth and Rugby. Just to see how geography changes things. And as I’ve said not one turned me down due to lack of experience. Admittedly I could have failed the assessments which I turned down - but the idea that companies will not give people a change is frankly laughable.

To get into work it generally requires calling a few agencies and asking. One will say yes and will ask you to come down and register straight away. You will then probably be asked to start that night or the next day. It’s one thing that makes me really glad I did my licences - I feel that I can always get some paid work so it’s a great insurance policy.

Furthermore the ‘industry’ don’t make it hard to get a job. They bend over backwards to make it incredibly easy. You can apply for the big firms online without a CV. They call you back. And then offer you a chance. The lie of this great barrier to entry is causing far more problems than the companies who seem all too willing to employ people - and train them. Even as an agency driver they were willing to put me with other drivers (which I hated) but also let me practice reversing in the yard/shunting if I wanted.

I so wish I had your luck mate. I’ve just put another post on a couple of days ago in which I’ve said of thinking of giving up the search for a job after TWO years of looking… And yes I’ve tried everything possible, agencies, knocking on doors with my CV and gear ready to go out, online, you name it and I’ve tried it. I’m willing to commute a fair distance just to get that first break, also willing to do any work ie 7.5t class 2 even though I’ve got class 1. Like I said anything for experience. Anywhere I go, get told to go and get some experience a day then come back to us. How the hell do they expect me to get experience without anyone giving me that first opportunity? I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire, have my own transport, willing to travel to/from depots, fully flexible and yet still no driving job. Thank heavens for my warehouse job to pay bills in the meantime. To be fair I’ve had a few driving assessments and passed all with some big names but then get told will talk to insurance and get back and guess what… Sorry our insurance won’t accept you.

ProudNewbie:

sammym:

I so wish I had your luck mate. I’ve just put another post on a couple of days ago in which I’ve said of thinking of giving up the search for a job after TWO years of looking… And yes I’ve tried everything possible, agencies, knocking on doors with my CV and gear ready to go out, online, you name it and I’ve tried it. I’m willing to commute a fair distance just to get that first break, also willing to do any work ie 7.5t class 2 even though I’ve got class 1. Like I said anything for experience. Anywhere I go, get told to go and get some experience a day then come back to us. How the hell do they expect me to get experience without anyone giving me that first opportunity? I live in Bradford, West Yorkshire, have my own transport, willing to travel to/from depots, fully flexible and yet still no driving job. Thank heavens for my warehouse job to pay bills in the meantime. To be fair I’ve had a few driving assessments and passed all with some big names but then get told will talk to insurance and get back and guess what… Sorry our insurance won’t accept you.

Have you tried Stobarts mate? They are still pestering me to see if I’ve changed my mind about having an assessment with them. Get a call once or twice a week. They claimed to be open to anything with me - but if it’s a commute would you consider tramping? A mate of mine thought he was stuck in a crap job as he has an old drink driving conviction… But they started him about a week ago. People will knock the money - but it’s a start. Just fill in the online form and they call you back.

If you have had your licence 6 months (or as close as possible to use their words) you can join stobarts agency. They garantee 45 hours a week money. And it pays slightly better than stobarts normal drivers. Doing the same work but for a bit more money. It’s call ‘the logistics people’ - you can have a chat to them on their website and I found them really friendly.

Ineresting article in my local rag that is loosely connected to this last week…
stokesentinel.co.uk/news/jo … 519926.amp

As said it’s loosely connected to the apparent struggle and in turn shortage of drivers that is being reported which I do believe exists but is very localised in specific areas as Sammy said some areas of the UK you could walk into a job tomorrow or even tonight where as some places say Cornwall from what I’ve read on here if you’re a new pass you’ll have to travel some distance to find work due to masses of experienced drivers looking for work within that area…In the area I live when the CO-OP moved upto Wrea Green and shut the Talke depot my mate who was made redundant struggled to find work as for every driving position there were upwards of 10 drivers applying for the one position.

Myself personally I was very lucky because at the young age of 21 i payed for my class 2 licence and then was given a job driving from the company I was already working for and then they payed for my class one.
During my first 9 years and 50 weeks of driving I had zero accidents and cost the company nothing in terms of insurance excesses whilst drivers much more experienced than me were hitting bridges,writing off cars,taking canopy’s off petrol station forecourts,tipping wagons on roundabouts…
I’ve always argued that a new pass driver will take more care when manoeuvring that MOST experienced drivers yet the new passes or inexperienced drivers seem to unreasonably discriminated against when it comes to finding employment.

sammym:

ProudNewbie:

sammym:

Have you tried Stobarts mate? They are still pestering me to see if I’ve changed my mind about having an assessment with them. Get a call once or twice a week. They claimed to be open to anything with me - but if it’s a commute would you consider tramping? A mate of mine thought he was stuck in a crap job as he has an old drink driving conviction… But they started him about a week ago. People will knock the money - but it’s a start. Just fill in the online form and they call you back.

If you have had your licence 6 months (or as close as possible to use their words) you can join stobarts agency. They garantee 45 hours a week money. And it pays slightly better than stobarts normal drivers. Doing the same work but for a bit more money. It’s call ‘the logistics people’ - you can have a chat to them on their website and I found them really friendly.

Cheers for that mate. I have tried stobarts directly, over phone and filled online form at least 3 times but don’t hear owt back. When spoke to them on the phone the lady said they have got my application and someone from HR will call me, that was 2 months ago. I’ll try the agency next. Probably my last effort. There’s only so much I can try. It had cost me nearly 3k to get my licence (failed class 2 once) and hundreds more in fuel and time driving to/from depots to drop off CV and for assessments

Im 30yrs old but passed when I was 21, the key I found was to try not to give away your age. So obviously don’t put your DOB after your name, address etc and don’t put years on qualifications (They might notice you use terms like GCSE instead of O level but I doubt it). I was working at a company that ran its on trucks so they had me on a night trunk the day after passing but I had been there for years working in their greenhouse so my CV just stated the years at my current job but not the fact I was a loader/shunter for 90% of the time.

Once you get in front of the TM you can add such details if asked but at least at that point you are sat in his office :wink:

I am 48 and passed both my C and C+E only last year.

The reason for doing this is because i wanted to fulfil a life long dream of being a truck driver inspired by the Middle East and long haul drivers during the 70’s & 80’s.

Only last year I felt i was secure enough financially to pursue this dream.

I have replied to a number of adverts on the likes of Indeed and Total jobs for either for Cat C or C+E work but to no avail.

I even applied for the Maritime new driver scheme and also heard nothing as well as applying on companies websites direct for a job also and again to no avail.

I do put this down to lack of experience, but it would be nice for the company to reply your email stating you were not accepted rather than hanging on for hope.

I actually phoned one company who i was eager to join and asked them if they received my C.V and was told they did and if i didn’t hear anything i have not been successful,. well you don’t really need to be a Rocket Scientist to figure that out.

After reading this forum I then decided to get the glad rags on,armed with my CV and a cover letter and went visiting companies direct and low and behold the first one I walked into will give me the chance, starting on CAT C and as I gain experience move unto C+E. The pay is nothing spectacular but as long as i get experience this is all I am concerned about at the moment. So role on next Monday!

Reflecting over the last few months, I am sure I was Naive when I started this journey but i would have thought with the driver shortage everyone goes on about it would have been a bit easier to get a job :slight_smile:

I’ve been driving for 3 years, started on agency on class 2, did 23 shifts, then passed class 1 and continued with the agency on class 1 until the work dried up after Christmas I then went to see a local company and got set on straight away and i have now been with them 2 years. I have also been offered 3 other driving jobs within this time frame. I might have just got lucky being in the right place at the right time but where I am in Nottinghamshire driving work seems plentiful… I think the availability of work depends on where you live to a large degree.

I passed my Class 2 in December 2017 and my Class 1 in February. I worked at the time for a supermarket and got speaking with some of their drivers. One of whom put me forward on a ‘recommend a friend’ scheme and although they don’t employ brand new drivers off the street, because I was employed through the supermarket and was recommended I got taken on. I do however have an extended probation compared to experienced drivers but that does not affect my pay or t&c’s.
My advice to newbies; if you are going to do this job, ask drivers questions about it first to get an idea of what employers are like, do they take straight on from test etc. If you know someone who drives, see if they do a recommend a friend scheme or likewise. If not then sign on at an agency to get the experience, stick it out then start applying for the better jobs.

I now work for a supermarket contract (not Stobarts) and it is by far the easiest job I have ever done and also the best pay (approx £15 ph).

Good Luck [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hi Luke, I’m 21 years old and when I managed to pass class 2 around 12 months ago I did struggle to find a permanent job at the start which led to me being touted to terrible firms by agencies who couldn’t get any other self respecting driver to fill the roles. I even had to do some van work and then 7.5tonne work before finally being given some work by a firm on Class 2 trucks (said firm was crap but that’s another matter) so I did have to earn my stripes so to speak.

Fast forward a couple of months and I was taken on by a local haulier who runs class 2 and class 1 vehicles. I spent a good 6 months doing class 2 work on the books before deciding to do my class 1 and was lucky enough to be given a start on class 1 straight away (although it is to be noted this firm wasn’t great either and did struggle to get and retain drivers) by the same firm. That job ran its course and before long I was back on the job hunt. I’ll be honest I did struggle a little bit especially because of my age. One or two firms said they’d be willing to give me a chance even without the experience but simply couldn’t because they’d have a pay a massive premium on their insurance policies for a driver under 23. One firm told me that to add me to their policy would cost them an extra £2,500 a year so I could understand why they might not want to chance it on me. I have now managed to find another job.

Fast forward to present day and I’m driving for Stobarts (laugh as you may, I know they have a reputation) but in terms of giving new drivers a chance Stobarts are absolutely fantastic. They’ll take you for an assessment drive and as long as you show promise they’ll be willing to give you a chance, they’ll send you up to their academy and train you on things like drivers hours and when you’re finished with your induction days they’ll spend all the time they need to in order to improve your driving to the required standard and send you out with a mentor for as long as it takes (if you need it). I’ve been told that they’re willing to do this especailly with younger drivers because they can mold you into the ‘Stobart way’ (and no that doesn’t include striking bridges :laughing: ). I personally think more firms should be willing to do this because after all, if they don’t they’ll have no right to moan if there is ever a driver shortage.

Different Insurers insure new drivers one of two ways, either front end as per ■■■■■■’s post, or they load the excess up. We run with a 1k excess normally, for new/under 25 drivers it’s 1.5k. So far we haven’t needed it, fingers crossed as we have one under 25 at the moment.

albion:
Different Insurers insure new drivers one of two ways, either front end as per ■■■■■■’s post, or they load the excess up. We run with a 1k excess normally, for new/under 25 drivers it’s 1.5k. So far we haven’t needed it, fingers crossed as we have one under 25 at the moment.

You might not like me Albion but please refrain from calling me ■■■■■■ :wink:

Not the first time auto correct has screwed me over :sunglasses:

Redrum:

albion:

I do like you reDRum…I’m just going to call you Red from now on. Or Mr Rum, if you want to be formal :blush:

albion:

Redrum:

albion:

I do like you reDRum…I’m just going to call you Red from now on. Or Mr Rum, if you want to be formal :blush:

I’ve been called worse :wink:

I’m just surprised Dipper Dave hasn’t come sniffing around with all the ■■■■■■ talk

Maybe I found a sweet spot, being 32, living in the Midlands i walked straight into a driving job having got my class 2 only a few weeks prior. I applied online to one of the big firms, think most here know who! Got straight in.

I can believe being under 30 makes it harder to find work. Either because of insurance or a misconception from those hiring. I think location might play the biggest part in how easy/hard it is to get a break.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk