My journey to obtaining my C licence in Ireland

sammym:
Crazy long course. But you’d be a mad man not to get the class 1 if it’s free and you keep your dole money. After the course come over to England and get a job. A driver of my caliber (zero experience) as an experiment applied for a load of jobs (as people on here say you need 2 years experience) - full-time class 1 role applied for and offered assessments a few weeks after passing:

DHL - Avonmouth.
XPO - Co-op contract Andover
Stobarts - Southampton/Rugby (pretty much said I could work where I want)

And a few other smaller logistics companies. I don’t think any company actually knocked me back - but I didn’t bother applying if they asked for more experience than I had. I did this in about 20 mins on Indeed. And probably spent about 10 mins on the phone in total.

Every company was direct - and I didn’t even bother to write a driving CV. I just gave an email and telephone number and said I had a class 1 but no experience.

It just goes to show there is work all around the country. And that you don’t need years of experience to have a chance. I also think it shows the knocking on doors of smaller companies doors isn’t required in this day and age. Nor is having to go through an agency.

Not stressed about finding work, the training centre said they have a list of employers would take me after I pass as they are desperate for drivers. :stuck_out_tongue: