Sink or Swim

Hi all,

It has been a while since my last post,
Having passed my class 2 in November 17, with Peter Smythe, I was lucky to get work locally, the advice given on the forum was spot on, I Went round the local companies and found one that was hiring, started 2 days later as I had just finished 6 shifts.
Driving a manual 3/3 split with half gears, on a 26T Volvo so since then I have been travelling around the country with refrigerated deliveries. Was saving up for my class 1 but the company put me forward with a local trainer, Dulsons, Excellent instructor, to the same standard as those at PSTT and a couple of modern Artics. The company I work for only has Artics and Rigids so no point in doing W&D.
Anyway… before you die of boredom, took my class 1 test yesterday, 8th May and managed to pass, despite it seems trying my hardest to fail with what i thought was my worst drive of any training session.
Returned to work a couple of hours later with a big cheesy grin, congratulations they said, oh by the way you are taking that Scania Artic down to Cardiff in an hour ! which I did, A49 and traffic in Hereford etc got back and today went to Bolton and Darlington.
Thank you again to PSTT for laying the HGV groundwork, Thank you to Dulsons for managing to take me to the next level.
Now driving a manual Scania, living the dream, thanks again to the professionals who have been gracious enough to teach me.

speedy9764:
took my class 1 test yesterday, 8th May and managed to pass

brilliant news speedy, well done on passing and I always think the best thing to do is just get out there and do the job. If you have time to wonder how your first run in an artic is going to be like,you’ll find you’ve worried for nothing.

Thanks Gents,

Now everyday is learning day.
Over the moon, just been allocated a unit that will be “mine” I really like that as you get to learn all the squeaks and rattles, can keep it fettled and tidy rather than just getting handed the keys to a unit you know nothing about.

Excellent. Sounds like a dream come true.

Thanks for your kind comments; all the best for the future.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

speedy9764:
Hi all,

It has been a while since my last post,
Having passed my class 2 in November 17, with Peter Smythe, I was lucky to get work locally, the advice given on the forum was spot on, I Went round the local companies and found one that was hiring, started 2 days later as I had just finished 6 shifts.
Driving a manual 3/3 split with half gears, on a 26T Volvo so since then I have been travelling around the country with refrigerated deliveries. Was saving up for my class 1 but the company put me forward with a local trainer, Dulsons, Excellent instructor, to the same standard as those at PSTT and a couple of modern Artics. The company I work for only has Artics and Rigids so no point in doing W&D.
Anyway… before you die of boredom, took my class 1 test yesterday, 8th May and managed to pass, despite it seems trying my hardest to fail with what i thought was my worst drive of any training session.
Returned to work a couple of hours later with a big cheesy grin, congratulations they said, oh by the way you are taking that Scania Artic down to Cardiff in an hour ! which I did, A49 and traffic in Hereford etc got back and today went to Bolton and Darlington.
Thank you again to PSTT for laying the HGV groundwork, Thank you to Dulsons for managing to take me to the next level.
Now driving a manual Scania, living the dream, thanks again to the professionals who have been gracious enough to teach me.

excellent post! Congratulations :smiley: