Weekend Driving

Hello all,
I am going to be doing my training but really nervous about getting work. I was thinking of doing the training and only drive at the weekends, that way I can gain a bit of experience and keep a roof over my family’s head as I could continue doing my usual job. Has anyone got any advice or opinions if this is possible?
Thanks in advance

Chubbylah:
Hello all,
I am going to be doing my training but really nervous about getting work. I was thinking of doing the training and only drive at the weekends, that way I can gain a bit of experience and keep a roof over my family’s head as I could continue doing my usual job. Has anyone got any advice or opinions if this is possible?
Thanks in advance

What hours you’ll legally be able to do at weekends will depend on your finish time on Friday and start time on Monday, assuming you work Monday to Friday.

Most people who work Monday to Friday in none HGV jobs can legally do one shift every second weekend, but like I said it depends on your working week in your usual job.

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:

Chubbylah:
Hello all,
Thanks in advance

What hours you’ll legally be able to do at weekends will depend on your finish time on Friday and start time on Monday, assuming you work Monday to Friday.

Most people who work Monday to Friday in none HGV jobs can legally do one shift every second weekend, but like I said it depends on your working week in your usual job.

Sent from my mobile.

Ahh of course, it didn’t enter my head about the time off with my job at the moment being a non driving job. Thank you. Now I have to decide wether or not to bite the bullet and go the whole hog.

tachograph:

Chubbylah:
Hello all,
Thanks in advance

Sent from my mobile.

I tend to finish about 18.00 on a Friday and start about 08.00 on a Monday in my usual job.

With those times I would stick to one day driving every other weekend

Using a diary for your normal job start and finish times is acceptable for DVSA it seems

ROG:
With those times I would stick to one day driving every other weekend

Using a diary for your normal job start and finish times is acceptable for DVSA it seems

Spot on thank you very much.

Or just work the two days a week and if you get pulled by VOSA (Highly unlikely) just claim this is your only job.
Yes it’s illegal but your not going to get caught and it wouldn’t surprise me if quite a few people do this.

That being said as you just started driving it probably wouldn’t be the smartest thing to break driving regs straight away.

THAT BEING SAID AGAIN. Why would a agency/employer want to employer a newly passed driver who can only work once every other week…?

Simple answer is they wont. I may be wrong and you may get lucky but I doubt it.
I tried the same thing when I passed my test trying to get weekend work and no one was interested.

adam277:
Or just work the two days a week and if you get pulled by VOSA (Highly unlikely) just claim this is your only job.
Yes it’s illegal but your not going to get caught and it wouldn’t surprise me if quite a few people do this.

That being said as you just started driving it probably wouldn’t be the smartest thing to break driving regs straight away.

THAT BEING SAID AGAIN. Why would a agency/employer want to employer a newly passed driver who can only work once every other week…?

Simple answer is they wont. I may be wrong and you may get lucky but I doubt it.
I tried the same thing when I passed my test trying to get weekend work and no one was interested.

You have a good point there, I think I will have to scrap the weekend work and either take the plunge and go for it or just stay in my original IT job. Tricky cos my heart says go for it and head says stay to keep a roof over our heads.

I have been doing this for 18months now and all is working out fine. Finish my normal job Friday 4pm. Usually start on Saturday driving anytime between 1.30am and 3am. If finish by 11am then will get my 45hours weekly rest in by the time I start 8am Monday morning, so then I can work the next Saturday. If I don’t get a 45 break in then I won’t work the following Saturday. Normal job is 37hours a week, Saturday is no more than 10hours usually, so never go over the 48hour weekly working average

adam277:

This is the truth of it…

Now I’m not advocating anyone breaking the law. But the regs are a mess as they are. I can quite legally ‘work’ 5 days a week as a paid research student and then drive two days a week. I can also legally do nights 5 days a week and work in the day at the university. The reality is that whilst I’m not considered at ‘work’ as a research student, I am teaching people and working in the lab with deadlines to get results. So it doesn’t make any sense.

If I were stopped I wouldn’t go into all this detail with the DVSA. And I have been stopped and they didn’t even bother to ask. Just scanned my card - no infringement and moved onto the vehicle. Could just say you look after your kids in the week for your Mrs to work as she’s the higher earner… And drive when shes off on weekends. It’s not like they are going to go round your house and check.

Edit - without realizing it I just gave another example of how ludicrous the rules are. You can care full time for kids all week being woken up all night and legally drive at the weekend. But can’t be paid to do the same thing, but go home at night and rest… The rules are frankly not fit for purpose.

Karlos75:
I have been doing this for 18months now and all is working out fine. Finish my normal job Friday 4pm. Usually start on Saturday driving anytime between 1.30am and 3am. If finish by 11am then will get my 45hours weekly rest in by the time I start 8am Monday morning, so then I can work the next Saturday. If I don’t get a 45 break in then I won’t work the following Saturday. Normal job is 37hours a week, Saturday is no more than 10hours usually, so never go over the 48hour weekly working average

Spot on thank you very much.

adam277:

That’s true, few shifts so far in the last 6 months for me on weekends, not much, no problem to find full time driving job though.

Karlos75:

If your normal job is not driving then it comes under the normal WTD which can be fully opted out of

Driving comes under the driver WTD

The two different WTDs do not get added together

ROG:

Karlos75:

If your normal job is not driving then it comes under the normal WTD which can be fully opted out of

Driving comes under the driver WTD

The two different WTDs do not get added together

Spot on, thank you.

I have worked weekends for the last two years. Its hard on class 2 but eventually found a good agency who can work round me and I work on average once a month sometimes more some less. It certainly will give you a taster, try and use bank hol weekends to get a few extra days in, but a ROG said mind your hours.
It works well for me as Im happy with my main job, but love driving, and the challenge this brings. I’m certainly a lot more aware Monday to Friday on the road now.
Give it a go and good luck Op.

spacemanZ10:
I have worked weekends for the last two years. Its hard on class 2 but eventually found a good agency who can work round me and I work on average once a month sometimes more some less. It certainly will give you a taster, try and use bank hol weekends to get a few extra days in, but a ROG said mind your hours.
It works well for me as Im happy with my main job, but love driving, and the challenge this brings. I’m certainly a lot more aware Monday to Friday on the road now.
Give it a go and good luck Op.

Great advice, thank you. What part of the uk are you and is your agency taking on?

Chubbylah:

adam277:

You have a good point there, I think I will have to scrap the weekend work and either take the plunge and go for it or just stay in my original IT job. Tricky cos my heart says go for it and head says stay to keep a roof over our heads.

You have a Brakes or similar near you? They will take new passes. Safer than the agency if you need the steady income.

I would strongly advise against working both days. Yes you are unlikely to be caught but if you are in an accident and someone is hurt they will throw the book at you even if it wasn’t your fault