From cat b to c+e

Hi there. I’m 29 and looking to get into hgv driving. At first I was looking into going for the cat c and then onto agency work most likely to gain experience (seems that’s the route to go down for newly qualified drivers) but thought, since I have the money, if I pass the cat c then I may as well go straight for the c+e whilst I’m at it since it would all be fresh in my mind. Is this something you would recommend?

So say I pass both and get my c+e licence, what’s the reality out there for newly qualified drivers? Would it be a case of taking what I can get with agency work, maybe doing cat c work for starters, or are there companies out there that employ newly qualified c+e drivers?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Cheers

It totally depends where in the UK you are.

There are proper jobs for new passes. I’ve been offered them.

I’d still do a bit of time on class 2 though. It will make class 1 easier and will allow you to work out if you enjoy it or not. If you don’t like curtains on an 18ter in the wind you won’t enjoy them more on an artic.

Thanks for the reply.

I live in Cambridgeshire. There seems to be a lot of hgv work around here.

Id say that doing some rigid work before going for a bendy licence wont be wasted time.
But with a C+E there is probably a greater variety of work. Rigids do come in variety of shapes but maybe there arent too many container or trunking (hands off) type work available to them? Certainly not a hard and fast rule, but look around, and it may be true in your area? If you try shop deliveries in a tail-lift box, and decide it isnt for you, does that mean you`d hate night trunking to a hub, or farm to dairy with a tanker?
SammyM is quite right of course that work is dependent on your area.

I’d be happy to do rigid work to gain experience but if I had a c+e licence behind me it would mean I could go straight into it should I want to. I just imagine going straight into c+e work from scratch would take a lot of getting used to?

I think you should get your class 2 done. Then do a few shifts. If your heart is set on class 1 then crack on. I did class 1 and after a few shifts on class 2 apart from reversing it’s really not that hard.

I can’t comment on Cambridge for work. But if you want tramping work you are not a million miles away from plenty of big depots. And contrary to what you will hear they will employ new passes as they just want bums on seats.

If you hate it - you don’t have to do that many shifts in your spare time to recoup your investment. So get it done.

It never even occurred to me to go straight into C+E when I started. Did little over 3 years before going to C+E where I am now. Another chap started same day as me. He went from car to artic. His reversing was frankly shocking to start with and road positioning apparently not great but the company were patient and he’s caught up quick and doing fine now. As others have said, rigid experience would definitely help but is not necessarily essential if your switched on enough.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

kscoombs:
It never even occurred to me to go straight into C+E when I started. Did little over 3 years before going to C+E where I am now. Another chap started same day as me. He went from car to artic. His reversing was frankly shocking to start with and road positioning apparently not great but the company were patient and he’s caught up quick and doing fine now. As others have said, rigid experience would definitely help but is not necessarily essential if your switched on enough.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I had my rigid 16 years before doing C+E last November and haven’t looked back as I hardly go in to London now :smiley:

MrBrinks89:
Thanks for the reply.

I came across this company at truckfest - mickgeorge.co.uk/explore/ca … er-academy = any good to you :bulb: :question:

Thanks for the replies.

ROG:

MrBrinks89:
Thanks for the reply.

I came across this company at truckfest - mickgeorge.co.uk/explore/ca … er-academy = any good to you :bulb: :question:

Looks promising, cheers.

I see Maritime are near me also. Anyone worked for them?

I only did my class 2 in order to get my class 1 - that’s all I wanted to drive and it’s all I’ve driven since passing.

I went straight into a full time tramping job for Downton, and now I’ve moved on to flatbeds once I’d built up the experience.

Don’t be railroaded into agency work or class 2 because you’re new. You can do it that way, but you certainly don’t HAVE to.

my twopennorth, do a couple of years on rigids then make your mind up. If you choose to go C&E you’ll have much more chance of passing because of the experience you’ll have gained. I passed C in 2010 and have yet to go for C
&E because I don’t see the point. More classes on your licence doesn’t necessarily mean more money and the work/life balance plays a big part in the decision. Bon Voyage…

Again, thanks for the info.

I’ve booked my medical (paying 40 quid with a surgery recommended on here rather than 140 quid with my gp! Absolute rip off!). I’ll update on how I’m getting on.

I see no reason why you shouldnt go straight to C+E after passing C. I’m on the same route. Passed my Class 2 in March, done ADR in April and Class 1 is on the way at the beginning of June. Once that is done I will start hunting. Preferrably few months on rigids - more to get used to driving anything bigger than a van, tacho, driving hours etc then move to artics.

TatteredPrince:
I see no reason why you shouldnt go straight to C+E after passing C. I’m on the same route. Passed my Class 2 in March, done ADR in April and Class 1 is on the way at the beginning of June. Once that is done I will start hunting. Preferrably few months on rigids - more to get used to driving anything bigger than a van, tacho, driving hours etc then move to artics.

I took my c and then straight to c&e test and then job on arctic. This was largely due to the limited cat c jobs in my area.

It is area dependant of course but I had no issue getting a start. I won’t say it was brilliant but it was a start which is the main thing