Pallet pain!!!

Hey guys,

Recent class 2 pass here and thought I’d sign up and say hi after months of lurking.

I’ve been working for a large pallet network for about a month now and I’m finding it to be an utter ballache if I’m honest. I still don’t regret leaving office work, which I hated for years, but I want to believe that there is better driving work out there (and maybe get some advice on how to work towards attaining it).

I do between 12-16 drops a day around mainly urban areas, followed by maybe three collections. All the experienced drivers I’ve been out with work through their breaks, drive down restricted/7.5t routes to save time, and hardly ever use ratchet straps (just using the side ones, even for one ton pallets). They complain about being overworked but still manage to get their runs done in maybe 10.5 hours. It always seems to take me at least 12 hours to do my drops and by the time I drive back to the depot it’s at least 8pm.

By the time I’ve done my paperwork and labelled the pallets/secured wagon etc it’s 8:30, meaning I don’t get home until 9:15 on most nights. I then have to get to bed for 10 so I can get up at 5am for a 7am start. Having just 45 mins a day to eat, shower, relax is killing me and I’m also struggling to do all my housework as I usually see my gf on the weekend (she lives an hour away, meaning I can’t see her in the week). I’ve just done last weekend’s washing up and it was ■■■■■■■ gross!

I don’t know whether to stick it out and gradually shave time off as I learn my routes etc, find a job closer to home, or maybe try and find some non-multidrop work. Or just get a loan and do my Class 1. I’m so jealous of the trunking drivers I sometimes see at RDCs who I’m assuming don’t have to buzz around city centres like a blue arsed fly like I do.

Sorry to be such a whining ■■■■■ on my first post! I don’t mind a hard graft but my back’s killing me today after having to pull four one ton pallets across a playground with a manual pump truck yesterday.

I’d jack it in,try to find another class 2 job then sort your class one out.
Don’t assume you won’t be running round just the same in a class one!,but the manual labour aspect of the job is far less likely…with the hours you are doing you’d be better off tramping,at least then you’d not have the travellling to and from to contend with every day!

xichrisxi:
I’d jack it in,try to find another class 2 job then sort your class one out.
Don’t assume you won’t be running round just the same in a class one!,but the manual labour aspect of the job is far less likely…with the hours you are doing you’d be better off tramping,at least then you’d not have the travellling to and from to contend with every day!

Try and find another job before packing this one would be better. Have a look around as you might be surprised at how many more options you have now you have some experience

There will be something better out there for you, look roubd, knock on even the unlikely doors.

We are the opposite end of the spectrum, two of mine going out tomorrow, one drop which will be thurs afternoon/Friday morning, then home Monday. 1 drop in ten days :laughing:

Grass isn’t always greener with class one.
Im class one and often do London multi drop. No taillift so have to hand ball pallets if no forklift is available.
To be fair I’m a mug I’ve stuck it out to get the 1 year experience.

Yes their are better class 2 driving jobs out I feel your pain . I done class 2 pallet network deliveries for over 10 years done the same sort of deliveries and collection and more but didn’t do over 10 hours a day as was only paid a day rate with no extra if you worked over your 10 hours so never did more than my contracted hours and was glad to finally get out of it no more dealing with crap residential deliveries with the customer expecting you to do the impossible with their delivery and shop delivers . Finally managed to put my class one licnence to good use and got a nice little class one night trunking job on better money and less hours with better benefits

Night trunking job can also be incredibly boring. Usually on the exact same roads everyday.

adam277:
Night trunking job can also be incredibly boring. Usually on the exact same roads everyday.

Depends what you want, I don’t want 10-15 drops on a rigid round housing estates, done that multi drop thing in a van, and 7.5,.

biggriffin:

adam277:

Depends what you want, I don’t want 10-15 drops on a rigid round housing estates, done that multi drop thing in a van, and 7.5,.

True but with multi drop there are often easy days.
Night trunking is especially for parcel companies is always the same.
Most wont let you stop at all and will phone you if they see you have stopped. You’re expected to drive usually 3/4 hours straight to the hub without stopping everyday.

For me the ideal job would be a tramper that had very few drops and was usually sitting about near RDCs waiting for booking in times. Finding an employer that offers that and pays well can be tricky though :stuck_out_tongue:. I’d also want my own truck.

adam277:

Audio books help :wink:

Plus most trucks now have support to access content from your phone such as audible or music.

They’re taking the ■■■■, mate. Take the time you need to do the job properly. Secure your loads, never ignore weight restrictions - is saving a few minutes worth a big fine? - have your breaks … you can bet your arse that everyone at the depot has tea breaks and lunch breaks … when you’ve done about ten hours of driving and other work just tell em you’re done. Use the WTD rules to your advantage, you can’t just keep working thirteen hour+ days indefinitely.
The fact is you just can’t work from seven until eight thirty every day legally.