Outfits that take on newbies in or around Teesside

Good evening to all you lads and lasses on this wonderful forum :smiley:

Since I passed my Cat C test in October 2017, I have been really struggling to get any form of work, even weekends, through various agencies. Many of the firms here on Teesside, as in many other parts of our wonderful island, have all jumped on the ā€œmust have 2 years experienceā€ bandwagon, and I am getting very fed up of my current job (a ā€œyardmanā€, or sweeping brush attendant at a very well known German haulierā€™s yard in Billingham, which I could only describe as the Carillion of transport companies :imp: ). We have a few rigids in our yard, but the powers that be will not let me drive them, even to or from the dealers for service or repair. :imp: :imp: :smiling_imp:

Iā€™m currently on the books of three local agencies, which so far, have not given me an ounce of work. In fact, I signed up with one of them this month JUST because they promised me work at a small wholesalers in Thornaby, but got dropped after a couple of weeks because I was ā€œunsuitableā€ for this particular role :question: :question: Iā€™m starting to think that, like many of you on this forum, agencies are just lying parasites, promise you the world, but only offer you nowt in return.

Iā€™m also, in my spare time, printing off huge batches of my CV and touring the various industrial estates, waving them in front of any potential future employers that I find on my travels. So far, I had only one interview for a Palletforce contract in Darlington. They said they would invite me back for an assessment drive, but have since heard nothing (this was a couple of weeks ago.) Iā€™ve also been applying for jobs online (Monster, CV Library, etc) left, right and centre, even the ones that need experience, but had no success so far.

So I would like to know about any outfits or decent agencies on Teesside, County Durham, or a little further afield that would take on drivers with zero experience. Iā€™m willing to work weekends or part time to start with on any sort of work.

Also, I have just completed an ADR course last week (packages, tanks and classes 2,3,4,5,6,8 and 9) and now just waiting for my card to arrive through the post. Iā€™m planning to do my HIAB and C+E sometime in the near future. I also possess an RTITB counterbalance fork truck licence.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :smiley:

As someone who has also just passed their test its a bit worrying to hear a North East guy not finding work.

I passed my test the beginning of April but as I am currently running a job with my current employer I have promised to see it out till the end of May.

When I passed my test I signed the book at my training centre, ticked yes to looking for work and left my number. I was contacted the following week by a company called KW Couriers based in Sunderland, as I wasnā€™t looking to start so soon the conversation didnā€™t last long so donā€™t know a lot about the job.

On searching the Internet I found that they run 7.5 tonnes and vans but while on the phone he said they were expanding and were looking for class 1 and 2 drivers, as they are a courier firm it will probably be multi drop but I donā€™t know what they are expanding into, could be worth a try.

Also which agencies are you enrolled with, while I was training there was a guy in doing his class 1, he had struggled with agencies but found work with aspenwolf, based in Seaham I think

Gav

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

How do I edit a post in tapa talk, conversion should read conversation!

Gav

The Best Connection in Middlesbrough, First Choice, also in Middlesbrough, and Baxter Recruitment in Darlington.

I will give KW a buzz at the very first opportunity, along with Aspenwolf.

Thank you for the suggestions.

To be honest, Iā€™m not really sure about Tapatalk.

Did you contact KW, wondering if itā€™s worth contacting when I leave my job.

Gav

I havenā€™t had a chance yet to contact KW, but I may do tomorrow.

Iā€™ve got an appointment with Aspenwolf next Tuesday afternoon, and it may sound like they might have a few jobs going, but donā€™t quote me on that. I will update you after Iā€™ve signed up.

Also, if youā€™re interested in multi-drop foodservice (fridge) work, AF Blakemore might be taking on drivers at the moment. They have depots in the Boro and Killingworth (Newcastle). The phone number for driver recruitment is in the careers section of their website.

Hi mate,

Drivers direct, rapier (if your willing to travel to Darlington as they do Argos etc) Eddie stobart take on new passe, not sure where their nearest depot is mind, indeed and total job have 100s of agencyā€™s on there if you havenā€™t already looked!

Hope this helps

Tommy

J & J Ward might be worth a shot.

Both of my neighbors got on with them as fresh class 2 drivers.

One of my neighbors had to leave within a week though due tob his dad getting ill, he now works on concrete trucks in Hartlepool (canā€™t remember the name). However this company is rumoured to be buying all of wards class 2 trucks, wether wards are upgrading or sticking with class 1 I donā€™t know.

Just a bit of an update guys.

Rapier and Drivers Direct will NOT let you sign up with them unless you have held your licence for 1 and 2 years respectively :imp: :imp: .

However, I gave KW a buzz on Friday, and the owner sounds desperate for drivers, so Iā€™m going to see him next Tuesday and see what the crack is. He will give you a choice of days or nights out.

Garbo2018:
Just a bit of an update guys.

Rapier and Drivers Direct will NOT let you sign up with them unless you have held your licence for 1 and 2 years respectively :imp: :imp: .

However, I gave KW a buzz on Friday, and the owner sounds desperate for drivers, so Iā€™m going to see him next Tuesday and see what the crack is. He will give you a choice of days or nights out.

Good luck with it, sounds like they may be moving towards general haulage type of thing

Gav

Just another update.

Went for the interview (including a driverā€™s hours assessment) at aforementioned agency in Seaham today, and itā€™s basically just a repeat performance. ā€œNo permanent work at the moment. Will give you a bell if anything pops up.ā€

Also, the situation at KW is not as desperate as I first thought, so I saw the bloke in the office (CV in hand of course) and he said he will have to speak to the gaffer and see what he thinks of me being let loose on his motors.

I just feel like Iā€™m running out of options regarding building up experience that many outfits need :cry:.

It can be a hard game to break into as a newbie, sometimes luck does need to be on your side. Try thinking outside the box, not just general haulage or pallet jobs, but what about your local council, waste management or steel stockholder? Have you thought about getting some experience in a 7.5t doing white goods deliveries? ( Not what you want, but may help progression)

Stick with it, a door will open soon. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspen wolf is an agency

North East Truck and Driver Ltd.
Evans Incubation Centre
Durham Way South
Aycliffe Industrial Park
Co. Durham
DL5 6XP
T: 01325 328 832
Speak to Mick

ward brothers based in south bank are always desperate for drivers, but be warned they go through drivers ridiculously fast. they donā€™t give a dam about the drivers or the trucks but canā€™t keep staff so they take on newbies. only Ā£9 an hour and donā€™t be scammed into there class 1 scheme.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

if u press on the time posted in the top right of ur post there is an option to edit

GavNormandale:

Gav

mahall1988:
if u press on the time posted in the top right of ur post there is an option to edit

GavNormandale:

Gav

Thanks

I donā€™t know if itā€™s any use to you but I got taken on by Cowan transport at Durham lane industrial estate near yarm a couple of weeks after passing my class 2, Dave Cowan the owner and his missus are fantastic to work for and genuinely nice people, might be worth a call mate!

I will be giving NETAD a buzz first thing on Tuesday and see what they can offer. I saw a sign advertising for them on the A66 near Sadberge, just outside Darlo. Driver Hire in the Boro also sound promising.

Iā€™ve heard through the grapevine that Stiller are holding a recruitment morning for both Classes 1 and 2 on Saturday 2nd of June, so I will be definitely hot footing it there.

Also look at Wicked in Darlington

Davis in Darlington are advertising same as Frack in Newton Aycliffe