Aldi Apprenticeship

So I am planning to do my Class 2 end of next month which I am paying for myself. If you have seen my earlier posts you’ve seen I’ve had training before which was a disaster but that’s behind me now.

Anyway I was looking to see if any company pays you to learn driving a lorry like bus companies tend to do and came across Aldi who offer an apprenticeship (link at bottom). Do any of you think this would be worthwhile? The pay would be quite poor I guess since it’s an apprenticeship and to do it o would have to relocate but I think I might consider it if I fail my test in May as it covers your class 1 as well.

aldirecruitment.co.uk/appre … prentices/

They are paying £305/week. Which is just under £16k a year.

A class 1 licence from car costs between 2 and 3 grand. Let’s call it £3k.

Most drivers clear £500 a week easily. Which is £26k.

They want to keep you on those wages for 13 months. So to get £3k’s worth of training you will lose over £10k. I personally wouldn’t consider that a great idea.

Also the 26k is conservative. You can earn more even as a new pass. Which makes the offer even worst. I’d go to a proper training company and do your licenses yourself.

sammym:

They want to keep you on those wages for 13 months. So to get £3k’s worth of training you will lose over £10k. I personally wouldn’t consider that a great idea.

Also the 26k is conservative. You can earn more even as a new pass. Which makes the offer even worst. I’d go to a proper training company and do your licenses yourself.

Aldi pay their drivers very well… Much more than 26 k as you stated. And you won’t be doing silly hours… neither will you be sleeping in a can for the week.

SouthEastCashew:

sammym:

Aldi pay their drivers very well… Much more than 26 k as you stated. And you won’t be doing silly hours… neither will you be sleeping in a can for the week.

As I said it was conservative…

I’m talking about their ‘apprentice wage’ which is just shy of £16k.

As a new pass class 1 driver I’ve been offered an inteview/assessment for similar work well north of £30k. Which makes this apprenticeship even worst.

The OP wasn’t asking if Aldi were a good company. He was asking if he should work for buttons to get his class 1 with them.

I may have misread the pay details, but as I see it, it states they pay £10.17 p/h, £305 p/w.
This equates to 30 hours per week, therefore if the ‘average’ week is 48 hours, then the pay would be around £488 p/w.

I appreciate there are better paying jobs around, but is this not reasonable for a new starter.

I know that it is underpaid in terms of what a class 1 driver usually earns but at least you are straight in a job. Like I stated I get the impression a lot of companies seem to expect some experience before taking you on so it just depends on whether or not its worth taking reduced pay for a year just to make sure you have a job in the industry.

If you read it properly you have the opportunity to become a permanent driver upon passing the C+E, so on the same money as a class 1 jedi master.

Not bad to earn £305 while training for the tests - I didn’t earn much more than that in my very short foray into full time driving.

Jimmy McNulty:
If you read it properly you have the opportunity to become a permanent driver upon passing the C+E, so on the same money as a class 1 jedi master.

Not bad to earn £305 while training for the tests - I didn’t earn much more than that in my very short foray into full time driving.

I am tempted. I think if my class 2 training doesn’t go well I’m gonna apply for this but it seems worth it alone for the fact you don’t have to worry about finding work.

its £10.17 an hour while you are on this driver programme, I would say it looks a very good scheme.

Sammym might have a point that you’d be under paid whilst learning. But i take the view that long term it could be a good move. Especially if you think you might end up sticking with them long term, like the type of work and if they treat you well.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
Sammym might have a point that you’d be under paid whilst learning. But I take the view that long term it could be a good move. Especially if you think you might end up sticking with them long term, like the type of work and if they treat you well.

If it’s paid hourly I’m totally wrong and take it all back. Over £10 an hour whilst learning is spot on.

I presumed it was £305 a week total for 13 months with no extra.

I still don’t regret doing my training the way I did. But then I’m not looking for a long term full time job and really enjoy doing ad hoc agency stuff.

sammym:

IronEddie:
Sammym might have a point that you’d be under paid whilst learning. But I take the view that long term it could be a good move. Especially if you think you might end up sticking with them long term, like the type of work and if they treat you well.

If it’s paid hourly I’m totally wrong and take it all back. Over £10 an hour whilst learning is spot on.

I presumed it was £305 a week total for 13 months with no extra.

I still don’t regret doing my training the way I did. But then I’m not looking for a long term full time job and really enjoy doing ad hoc agency stuff.

Horses for courses and all that. I’m happy with how I’ve got in. ■■■■ I’m in the middle of buying a new home thanks to changing careers.

I enquired with Aldi a couple of months back what they interpret “Apprentice” as with regards to age wise. As I’m 45 I wanted to make sure they werent looking at max age say 25 for example. They said there was no age limit and to apply.

I’m in a similar position like many on here looking to learn. Getting the C and E is only just the start. Its the job hurdles of gaining experience. Yes there is the agency job route but probably like others cant take the risk of giving up a job to go on to agency books and the uncertainty it brings.

I’ll probably go for it in the coming months. I have done medical and got my license back. For peace of mind i’m going to do the theory first and hazard perception. Then at least at interview can say I am slightly a bit of the way there!!

Does anyone know if this is based only at one of their depots or will it be available at all depots? Couldn’t see anything on their website.

blueovalcraig:
Does anyone know if this is based only at one of their depots or will it be available at all depots? Couldn’t see anything on their website.

yes it is at all the depots but don’t look to be recruiting at the minute i know CEMEX do an apprenticeship as well and where advertising around Easter

Cheers AlliePallie

On the theme of budget supermarkets does anyone know if Lidl do their own distribution?

enzo:
Yes there is the agency job route but probably like others cant take the risk of giving up a job to go on to agency books and the uncertainty it brings.

I understand your anxiety, I was in a similar position. I just woke up one morning and thought “[zb] it”. I handed my notice in as a technical manager and signed up with an agency. I now have a great full time job with (in my opinion) a great operator.

If you don’t buy a ticket, you can’t win the raffle :grimacing: