Looking at becoming a driver

Hi there,

Just nicely signed up to Truck Net UK, my name is Chri,s i’m 24, from Leeds, West yorks .

I have done a fair amount of warehouse work and taken an interest into the transport side of it. I am looking at doing class 2 and hopefully if all goes well eventually continuing it to class 1.

Still doing my research on decent training providers for this, any advice much appreciated!

Thanks
Chris :smiley:

Check out the link in my signature below as well as the forum sponsor offers

Hi and welcome. You might like to take a look at our April Anniversary Offer. Also our Open Day this Saturday. At least then you’ll be in a position to compare trainer with trainer.

Whatever you do, avoid brokers. They are easy to spot as they normally claim to have 30 or 40 centres around the country. No genuine trainer has. So stay well away.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t expect to drive a V8 in West Yorkshire though, unless you buy your own

Peter Smythe:
Hi and welcome. You might like to take a look at our April Anniversary Offer. Also our Open Day this Saturday. At least then you’ll be in a position to compare trainer with trainer.

Whatever you do, avoid brokers. They are easy to spot as they normally claim to have 30 or 40 centres around the country. No genuine trainer has. So stay well away.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Pete

Cant make it for this event saturday, how often do you hold open days?

how often do you hold open days?

Around every 4 months so the next will likely be end of August roughly.

But anyone is welcome to call in and have a look around without appointment during normal business hours. There’s often a truck or 2 to have a look at and get a general impression as to the quality we offer. Just turn up whenever it suits you anytime between 0730 and 1700 Monday - Friday. Who knows, you may even get a free coffee haha!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As has been said avoid brokers like a plague

Look at a few providers your area but go visit them just turn up if they are any good they won’t mind have a chat to the real people ( the trainers & staff ) see there yard might be some vehicles in you can ask questions

Cheers guys :slight_smile:

Ignore the £40,000 wages too, you will see them advertised but they are like unicorns

Good luck, if you enjoy travel, listening to the radio, meeting all sorts of people and checking your mirrors every few seconds go for it. It’s better than being in a warehouse all day if you can do it.

Wheel Nut:
Ignore the £40,000 wages too, you will see them advertised but they are like unicorns

As above, I live in London and earn more as a class 2 driver outside London than I do as a class 1 in London, and I’m home every night. Still don’t earn anywhere near £40k a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heaton30:

Wheel Nut:

As above, I live in London and earn more as a class 2 driver outside London than I do as a class 1 in London, and I’m home every night. Still don’t earn anywhere near £40k a year!

You can earn £40,000 but it will be long hours and hard work. It also won’t be the jobs you take as a new driver that pay that

kcrussell25:

Heaton30:

Wheel Nut:

You can earn £40,000 but it will be long hours and hard work. It also won’t be the jobs you take as a new driver that pay that

The New and Wannabe Forum [emoji23]

Wheel Nut:
[

Car transporter driver pays that. I don’t know how to post photos but a quick search on indeed will find plenty paying that. However that is hard work outside in all weather.

My first job as a new pass was pulling a fridge for £34k Sunday to Thursday. Was early starts, long hours and had to help load and unload many drops though.

So personally I would say good money can be earned but you will earn it

Wheel Nut:

kcrussell25:

Heaton30:

Wheel Nut:

Haha, been doing this long enough now that I no longer try working myself into a box for pittance, however, as was said above £40k jobs are like unicorns, and the general market, you’ll be lucky to find £35k even in London with experience

kcrussell25:

Wheel Nut:
[

Car transporter driver pays that. I don’t know how to post photos but a quick search on indeed will find plenty paying that. However that is hard work outside in all weather.

it

I drove a covered car transporter, We kept out of the rain and wind.

The OP asked a reasonable question but is also in an ideal position to seek his fortune, he already works in a warehouse, can ask drivers where they are going, how long it takes, and most importantly, does you company have any vans or drivers mates?

He might have to start at the bottom of the pile and do a bit of graft before his V8 is ordered

kcrussell25:

We have taken on drivers under 25. Highest paid driver last tax year was a shade over 48k and Jan - March averaged 63 hours a week, with 29.75 being work/driving - remainder was POA, either second man or ferry.

But we are a rarity that we will look at taking new passes/ young drivers. I’d be more reluctant if it were not for there being a lot of double-manning, meaning that we don’t let them loose on their own for quite a few weeks!

I think when people see our trucks on the road they don’t look twice, if they see where I operate from, they might think that we are some two bit general haulage operation - we certainly don’t try to dispel that thought :laughing:

I’m not saying that to big myself up, just to say that it can be done however unlikely and that if you go round knocking on doors, appearances can be deceptive.

chrisV8:
Hi there,

Just nicely signed up to Truck Net UK, my name is Chri,s i’m 24, from Leeds, West yorks .

I have done a fair amount of warehouse work and taken an interest into the transport side of it. I am looking at doing class 2 and hopefully if all goes well eventually continuing it to class 1.

Still doing my research on decent training providers for this, any advice much appreciated!

Thanks
Chris :smiley:

There are a couple of instructors in your area that use to come on this forum (although I haven’t seen them in a while)
elmetdrivertraining.co.uk/
tockwithtraining.co.uk/

might be worth a look

Wheel Nut:

kcrussell25:

Wheel Nut:
[

it

I drove a covered car transporter, We kept out of the rain and wind.

Well I guess that’s an advantage. Out of interest how many cars can you get on a covered one? I know it depends on size but assume its not as many as a non covered one?