Cat c failed 3 times

Failed cat c 3 times now.Is it better to try a different test centre next time or stick with it at Bredbury as I know the routes.

what are you failing on ? is it the same faults ? or are you like me , cant cope well in a exam situation (was same at school could do the work through the term but sit me down in the exam room and my brain shut down :cry: ).

I got a different serious each time.minors are less each time.Last time I slowed to let an ambulance through at some lights which left me going through on amber and he failed me for it only had 3 minors.First time failing was due to nerves stopped over the line at set of lights got 8 minors that first time.Second time I got 5 minors cant remember what the serious was
So my minors are decreasing each time but iv got a Jonah complex about the test centre at Bredbury.Got my hiab and ADR so im not giving up as Iv got some quality work waiting.

I failed first time (abysmally, I should have been banned from the roads ,so nervous you wouldn’t believe). anyway the instructor reckoned that I could actually drive ,if only I would relax in the test situation . he suggested talking myself through it for eg , the rd opens up to 2 lanes and I’m turning right , so tell myself check mirrors , indicate , prepare to move , check mirrors , get in lane , mirrors , etc . felt a bit of a prick at first muttering to myself but it kept me focused on what I was doing instead of worrying about what could, and invariably did go wrong. good luck with whatever you decide

thanx. ill head down to peter smythes open day, see what they can do for me.

Seems to me as though your are improving each time you go for the test

Whilst knowing the test routes is a bonus it shouldn’t be necessary. Drive to the required standard and you’ll pass anywhere.

So with that in mind if you’ve reached the point where mentally you’re put off that particular centre then I’d deffinately move to another. Anything that makes you happier and more chilled about the test can only be a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
Whilst knowing the test routes is a bonus it shouldn’t be necessary. Drive to the required standard and you’ll pass anywhere.

So with that in mind if you’ve reached the point where mentally you’re put off that particular centre then I’d deffinately move to another. Anything that makes you happier and more chilled about the test can only be a good thing.

Sorry mate - just my opinion but I totally disagree with this.

Since passing I’ve driven all over the country. And I can tell you driving in Central London, Manchester and ever parts of Birmingham are significantly more difficult than passing where we passed.

Even doing London at night is significantly harder when it’s not as busy. So I don’t think that you can say all areas are equal. I don’t think they even run hgv tests in central london… But if they did the pass rate would be abysmal.

sammym:

IronEddie:

Sorry mate - just my opinion but I totally disagree with this.

Since passing I’ve driven all over the country. And I can tell you driving in Central London, Manchester and ever parts of Birmingham are significantly more difficult than passing where we passed.

Even doing London at night is significantly harder when it’s not as busy. So I don’t think that you can say all areas are equal. I don’t think they even run hgv tests in central london… But if they did the pass rate would be abysmal.

One of the reasons I choose PSTT was a desire not to test on Birmingham roads. I agree not all routes/centres are equal. Yet people pass at all of them. There’s nothing wrong with stacking the odds in your favour but if you’re good enough you’ll pass anywhere. I do believe that.

I failed my cat c 3 times and told myself 4th would be my last pass or fail, luckily I passed it once I had a long heart to heart with MYSELF. Ask for feedback from the examiner as it makes a HUGE difference. Once I examined my own faults (which were merely nerves and nothing to do with my driving) I passed it with 2 minors and passed class 1 first time with 1 minor. I know it’s easy said than done but try and keep focused and positive and remain calm. Good luck mate

I trained class 2 in slough with Wallace training, first instructor was just mad, often shake his heads, sounds ffff puff,tells me I make stupid mistakes bla bla, put me in big stress. After first fail, I refused to train with him again. Second instructor was very helpful and motivated me… but, road conditions in slough…many and busy roundabouts with fast drivers…failed another 2 times because roundabouts. Passed on 4th time when I almost gave up.

I trained class 1 for 4 days with Peter Smythe, and passed first time… the traffic on that area was very quiet, almost no roundabouts, or not busy. And the instructor Chris was just excellent.

So , I believe location and instructor make big difference.

IMO it’s more to do with the instructors. I failed cat C twice after “training” with the worst possible school with the crappest trainers and I even successfully claimed some of my money back. I’d love to name and shame them but apparently it’s frowned upon in here but I don’t know why as it would be helpful information. I did my CE with a proper, professional school and passed first time with no problems. I know it can be difficult when you’ve already paid but if I were you I’d try a different school.
Good luck :sunglasses:

I failed on traffic lights but it was because I stopped too hard. I still think I was right to have stopped, the lights changed as I was approaching I checked mirrors braked and stopped before the line. When she said I had failed because of that I was stunned, she said I should of carried on through the lights. I said that I totally disagreed with her and that any other examiner would have failed me for going through a red light. Then I took a retest praying I didn’t get that woman. I was lucky I got a different examiner and I passed with a clean sheet.
Don’t give up, you will pass. I done my training with Peter Smythe and they are excellent, maybe have a lesson with them and do your test there.
Good Luck.

puddlehopper:
thanx. ill head down to peter smythes open day, see what they can do for me.

I did mine training with enterprise first time and failed miserably 14 faults with 2 or 3 serious can’t remember now But than a year later I been looking around and got offer from Peter Smythe 1 retest free and I went an extra mile and payed for pass plus so all in all I am okay for 5 tests, 1st time failed due to approaching on coming traffic on narrow road way too fast, 2nd time failed on something can’t remember 3rd time my car broke down on m6 jct 19, 4th time I passed with 6 minors only, at the moment all I can say is go with the Peter Smythe, don’t think of 300 extra for pass plus once you passed you will earn your money back in no time.
I recommend Peter Smyth whole heartedly they are a good bunch, No shouting no tapping on shoulders no nothing. Pass or not pass it’s entirely down to you on test date Goodluck.

A good instructor helps, no doubt, but at the end of the day, you are the one behind the wheel. I’m lucky, exam situations and nerves sharpen me up and bring out the best in me. When the instructions stop and the test begins I can focus my mind like a laser beam. I drive my best under test conditions and I find I can relax.

Doesn’t work for everyone though, some people tense up and fall apart. I would hazard a guess that that is what’s happening

puddlehopper:
Failed cat c 3 times now.Is it better to try a different test centre next time or stick with it at Bredbury as I know the routes.

I failed C 3 times at Bredbury too. I too thought about knowing the routes (bus lanes to be used etc), but switched over to Red Rose training at Bolton.

Passed C straight away and then 12 months later passed CE at the first attempt. I remember looking at the LGV pass rates individually (4 years ago now), and Leicester and Bredbury were the two lowest percentage pass test centres from around 70 ish from memory :open_mouth:

So my advice is simple-get yourself over to RR :wink:

Yeah will definitely use a different test centre next time.The only trouble with red rose is they only have manuals .Ill use Peter Smythe. Went to the open day and I was impressed by his operation.

puddlehopper:
Yeah will definitely use a different test centre next time.The only trouble with red rose is they only have manuals .Ill use Peter Smythe. Went to the open day and I was impressed by his operation.

I know they are manuals (which in my opinion ALL new drivers should learn on), but one of the main positives for RR apart from the instructors & price, is the fact that their cat C MAN’s are ex skip wagons with box bodies shoved on.

Very short wheelbase and you can stick them into small gaps if you have oncoming vehicles etc… :wink:

Went for a look at Red Rose, they look like 7.5 tonners. Have booked an assessment just to see how I get on with a split gearbox. Though I think Id be better taking a test with an auto as its one less worry.