Money money money yo

Hi

Not sure how to word this post but will try and get my point across.

I’ve been doing class 1 a few months on fridges for supermarkets, I’m enjoying it and will happily stay to build up my experience.

I have two small children and a wife, work life balance is ok at the moment, however I have been talking with my wife about what steps I could take next once I have my experience.
We obviously both want me to earn as much as I can, but don’t want it to affect family life etc, however we are open to some sacrifice if the money is worth it, or the balance is the same just shifted slightly (I.e time away and time off)

I suppose what I’m asking is your opionion on what sections in the industry could I look into that will pay well but maybe take more of my time but not living away forever, I don’t know? I know there will be lots of options and factors which is why I’m kinda asking what people’s views on any happy mediums there are

Many thanks

You said you are enjoying it - TBH I think you don’t need to say anything more. Once you stop enjoying it, then maybe look elsewhere. Also bear in mind that your children will only be young for a very few years, and you cannot regain missed quality time with them as they grow up. Even the best paying driving job in the world is not worth a candle against that.

Roymondo:
You said you are enjoying it - TBH I think you don’t need to say anything more. Once you stop enjoying it, then maybe look elsewhere. Also bear in mind that your children will only be young for a very few years, and you cannot regain missed quality time with them as they grow up. Even the best paying driving job in the world is not worth a candle against that.

Totally agree

I’ve found supermarkets will pay better money. Once you’re further in is it worth asking them for a change in patterns to allow for family time?

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

CarrieAnders:
I’ve found supermarkets will pay better money. Once you’re further in is it worth asking them for a change in patterns to allow for family time?

Was thinking of switching to supermarkets at some point as that’s where I deliver anyway.
Morrison’s have it cushy

Myself and husband are within Asda, he’s the driver. Other drivers have said to him to take what they offer then ask some months in to adjust. Makes sense to me. I’ve not come across anyone else that pays as high as supermarkets do, other places near us are Mon-Fri but pay significantly less.

As someone has said said already if you are enjoying it don’t change it! The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Don’t be tempted by a few more bucks to then wishing you had never left supermarket work. :-')

Thanks for your commments

I’m still not passed the golden 2 years yet but if I switch jobs and move onto working for a supermarket chain, is the only way in through agency?

Depends on the supermarket. Tesco didn’t advertise any years experience for their own drivers and there are agencies here that deliver for them who don’t ask for it either.
My husband is going in via store transfer as he’s already in the company.

PT14:

CarrieAnders:

Was thinking of switching to supermarkets at some point as that’s where I deliver anyway.
Morrison’s have it cushy

I work for Asda and there’s nothing wrong with supermarket work I’ll tell you, you’re not pushed, money and terms and conditions are good and there’s various shift patterns and start ties to suit any life style (I do 4 x 11.15 hr shifts a week) ok it’s slightly hands on at the delivery point but then that’s nice as you get to know the warehouse bods and can have a bit of social interaction, in my last job all I did was deliver to rdc’s which was very easy but might not really see anyone all day.

bald bloke:

PT14:

CarrieAnders:

Morrison’s have it cushy

I work for Asda and there’s nothing wrong with supermarket work I’ll tell you, you’re not pushed, money and terms and conditions are good and there’s various shift patterns and start ties to suit any life style (I do 4 x 11.15 hr shifts a week) ok it’s slightly hands on at the delivery point but then that’s nice as you get to know the warehouse bods and can have a bit of social interaction, in my last job all I did was deliver to rdc’s which was very easy but might not really see anyone all day.

My hubby is the warehouse bod, he knows loads of the drivers talking to them when tipping. After 11 years he decided he wanted to go the other side.

Carrie does he work for Asda ? If so they are good at recruiting from within and we have several drivers who have come from our own warehouse or from a store warehouse.

Yes he does, he’s done an internal transfer request and interviewed with them last week.

CarrieAnders:
Yes he does, he’s done an internal transfer request and interviewed with them last week.

Nice one can I ask where ?

Falkirk CDC

We don’t go that far :smiley:

Ha yea you’re the other end of the country.

bald bloke:

CarrieAnders:

Nice one can I ask where ?

Sadly they didn’t give him a position this time. Some questions asked that he struggled with the answers. Gutted, but he’ll carry on with the agency work and keep trying.

Thanks for your comments.

I’ve been speaking to a few drivers on my route and they all seem pretty happy with the conditions and pay, some of them reckon the night drivers on OT are racking up about 60k?

Out of interest is it weekly pay?