Urban myths

Hi

I’m a new class 1 driver (approx 4 months working)

And something has been tinkering on my mind that I hoped some of you may shed some light on.

I basically run fridge trailers but for the last 2 months my Dailey route involves using an urban trailer, which is fine and I don’t mind what trailer I’m given.
However, part of me feels that an I limiting my experience driving these smaller trailers?
Should I ask for a different route that uses a full size trailer?

I often on a blue moon switch to a full size when I get given a trunk, I actually find them a bit easier to park, or more so I find myself overcooking it less.

My original concerns are that I’m getting so used to driving around and parking in tight spots or tricky blindsides with this urban, that I worry I’m not helping my much needed experience.
If that makes sense

Any thoughts ?

Many thanks

Size really doesn’t matter, ooh err missus.

The principle is the same just different lengths.

This sounds so far like a Dipper Dave thread!!

Assume your urban trailer is a tandem axle? Assuming no rear steer axle?

If so then reversing an urban trailer it will turn much quicker than a full size tri axle trailer. In short the smaller the trailer the quicker it will turn and harder to control (try a small trailer on your car and you will see what I mean). A tri axle trailer pivots on the middle axle a tandem on the front axle, watch the pivot point and its come easier.

simcor:
Size really doesn’t matter, ooh err missus.

The principle is the same just different lengths.

This sounds so far like a Dipper Dave thread!!

Assume your urban trailer is a tandem axle? Assuming no rear steer axle?

If so then reversing an urban trailer it will turn much quicker than a full size tri axle trailer. In short the smaller the trailer the quicker it will turn and harder to control (try a small trailer on your car and you will see what I mean). A tri axle trailer pivots on the middle axle a tandem on the front axle, watch the pivot point and its come easier.

Thanks for your reply

I totally get the pivot points on the axles, I was more concerned that I was just getting used to manouvering a shorter length (wayhey), day to day around towns and small roads and what ever tricky yards I have to swing around in.
In principle you are right, it’s just extra length, but I did question it which is why I posted for some clarity

Cheers

Sounds to me like you’re gaining great experience. Much more than dragging 13.6 trailer up and down motorways.

If I was looking for a driver, your experience would impress. So don’t worry about it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Sounds to me like you’re gaining great experience. Much more than dragging 13.6 trailer up and down motorways.

If I was looking for a driver, your experience would impress. So don’t worry about it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

:sunglasses:

PT14:
… However, part of me feels that an I limiting my experience driving these smaller trailers? …

Hi PT14,

There’s a school of thought that says… anybody can drag a 13.6 up and down a motorway on ‘long distance,’ but it takes far more skill to do locals with an urban trailer. Urban trailers are an invaluable experience IMHO, and you’ll set yourself apart from many other drivers because not everybody can claim to have driven them.

Then after that… what Peter just said. ^^^ :smiley: :smiley:

dieseldave:

PT14:
… However, part of me feels that an I limiting my experience driving these smaller trailers? …

Hi PT14,

There’s a school of thought that says… anybody can drag a 13.6 up and down a motorway on ‘long distance,’ but it takes far more skill to do locals with an urban trailer. Urban trailers are an invaluable experience IMHO, and you’ll set yourself apart from many other drivers because not everybody can claim to have driven them.

Then after that… what Peter just said. ^^^ :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers :slight_smile: