New drivers getting work

Hi,

I’m currently setting the ball rolling to get my Hgv and hopefully c+e licence (ADR as well) and was wondering how difficult it might be getting Work once passed? Any help would be great. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is the worst part of the entire process .You have to get used to rejection, lies and blatant ■■■■ taking of crappy firms .But eventually you develope rhino skin ,You will work out who is and who is’nt worth the effort of applications or calls .Try to avoid agencies for a start as the parasites now use the two year thing to try and pay you much less than usual…Some firms are glad of new drivers as they can shape them to how they work.
Theres many newbie threads that explain it all if you search etc . .
Avoid facebook for jobs its a nightmare …

Thanks for the reply Beetle juice,

Every time I try and look up jobs it’s always bringing up loads of agencies [emoji849].

I personally found it very easy finding work. Got the first job I applied for at class 2 and then same again at class 1, I accept I probably just got lucky in that regard. I think a lot depends on where in the country you are looking and the type of work you wanting/willing to do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I suppose so. I’m in Bury, Greater Manchester so I’m guessing lots of company’s out there. Would like to start on class c for a while to gain experience before going onto c+e.

chrismollard:
I suppose so. I’m in Bury, Greater Manchester so I’m guessing lots of company’s out there. Would like to start on class c for a while to gain experience before going onto c+e.

Hi, try akw global in Manchester, if you haven’t. they have class 2 and class 1 jobs, akwgloballogistics.co.uk/job … -2-driver/

I have asked and confirmed they accept newly passed drivers. I’m waiting my licences return from dvla then will see start with who.

Andrey1:

chrismollard:

Hi, try akw global in Manchester, if you haven’t. they have class 2 and class 1 jobs, akwgloballogistics.co.uk/job … -2-driver/

I have asked and confirmed they accept newly passed drivers. I’m waiting my licences return from dvla then will see start with who.

Thanks Andrey1

That’s a great help. I will keep them in mind. Let me know how you get on [emoji106]

chrismollard:

Andrey1:

chrismollard:

Thanks Andrey1

That’s a great help. I will keep them in mind. Let me know how you get on [emoji106]

If you are financially fit for class 1 test, and if the main intention is to drive class 1 rather than Class 2, I would advise not to wait. I got my class 2 last year, but waited until now, as my only interest is class 1 tramping , and looking costs at 1500+ , not very happy to pay all in once, then find out Peter Smythe is offering interest free deal, so I jumped in and passed first time(3 days trainig and 2hr warm up drive and test on 4 th day). Travelled everyday to from Manchester to ng17 but worth it a lot. Last week received a greeting card from them, to congratulate my pass, made a smile on my face. That Little thing do make me feel I invested in right place.
I found not 1 but more firms happy to take newly passed drivers, so better build up experience in class 1 if that’s what you want.

In my experience, it’s easier to get Class 1 work than Class 2. I would get your C+E straight away, if you can afford it. There just seems to be more work and opportunities with artics. It depends on where you live, but in my area I would say there are four Class 1 jobs to every Class 2 job. The M62 corridor has a lot of distribution centres, so is a lot more Class 1 based.

On the job-hunting front, there are plenty of haulage firms who will take new drivers. Obviously the better firms will have more experienced drivers to choose from, so the ones who take new drivers may not be top rank. People abuse Eddie Stobart, but at least they take-on new drivers, happily give on-the-job training, and have decent kit. Not many firms would give you an 18-plate Volvo for your first job, but they do.

I would stay away from “driver apprentice” schemes though, I think they’re a scam. You can learn most jobs from a two-day induction and a few weeks of on-the-job-training with an old hand (like Stobarts). Then you’re on your own to learn the trade. No need to take years on apprentice wage to learn how to strap pallets, or work a powder tanker. Just a way of firms paying less. But, with some you get your Class 1 paid for, so the maths could (although improbable) work out in your favour.

But be careful, as some firms try to act like they’re doing a new driver a favour by giving them a job. So pay suffers. And when a firm advertises as “new drivers welcome”, there’s always a catch. They obviously can’t attract or retain experienced drivers, so something’s wrong. And a new driver is a cheaper option for them than using an agency.

Stay away from agencies. If at all possible. Agencies often flaunt the “must have 2 years experience” rule, or even worse the “must have held a licence for over 2 years”. The latter is a ridiculous rule, as simply getting your licence and not using it for 2 years does not make you a better driver. But yes, agencies use the lack of experience rule to offload the jobs nobody else will take for a pittance wage. Go employed, and save agency work for certain situations.

I walked straight from passing into a class 2 job. Ignore jobs boards as they’re full of agencies. If you want direct work use the company websites to apply direct and look at those known to take on new passes.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I will give the agencies a miss when the time comes.

If you are in bury you have heywood on your doorstep, alot of firms there take on new passes. Just drive along the fence in your car and see all the banners advertising for drivers.

chrismollard:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I will give the agencies a miss when the time comes.

Just my opinion:
Dont give all of the agencies a miss, there are still a few decent agencies around such as H&G who I think have an office in Manchester area, a few of the supermarkets have relaxed the new driver rule so will take you once you have passed your test, H&G will sometimes offer temp to perm, worth looking at www.h-g-recruitment.com

tommymanc:
If you are in bury you have heywood on your doorstep, alot of firms there take on new passes. Just drive along the fence in your car and see all the banners advertising for drivers.

Yeah I drove past Fowler Welch and noticed a sign up for new pass drivers. Does any body know if there a decent company to work for? Or what sort of pay they offer?

chrismollard:

tommymanc:

Yeah I drove past Fowler Welch and noticed a sign up for new pass drivers. Does any body know if there a decent company to work for? Or what sort of pay they offer?

They are £8 merchants .

Beetlejuice:

chrismollard:

tommymanc:

They are £8 merchants .

£8 an hour [emoji15]. That’s almost illegal. Haha. I hope that pay rate isn’t to common in the truck driving world?

chrismollard:

Beetlejuice:

chrismollard:

tommymanc:

They are £8 merchants .

£8 an hour [emoji15]. That’s almost illegal. Haha. I hope that pay rate isn’t to common in the truck driving world?

And this from a fella who hasn’t passed his test yet! There’s a lot of poor paying work around just don’t work for them mate!

I have heard the stories about ■■■■■■■ and squelch, a quick search on the main board should give you all the info you need.

I have only had 1 problem with agencies in 20 years. And that was resolved. Agency is a good way to start, and a handy stopgap if you run into problems down the road.

jbaz73:
I have heard the stories about ■■■■■■■ and squelch, a quick search on the main board should give you all the info you need.

I have only had 1 problem with agencies in 20 years. And that was resolved. Agency is a good way to start, and a handy stopgap if you run into problems down the road.

I started via agency too. They got me in to the yard where I am now. The gaffer said they wouldn’t have entertained me as a new driver as they only hire experienced drivers. The agency covered the insurance if I had an accident while I was assigned to them.

I kept my nose clean for 12 weeks as an agency driver and the gaffer took me on full time.

I’ve heard horror stories about the agency I was with but in all fairness, they were bang on with me and done what they said they would do. Agency’s should not be dismissed!!

I passed my Class 2 test in 2016. I have my HIAB, EPIC ,and FLT tickets. I have not used them much yet as the main problem I’ve found is getting taken on direct by a company. I have been driving a bus for 6 years but it doesn’t seem to give me any advantage. I laid off applying for a while and have started looking again recently and have had a couple of interviews 1 I lost out on experience and another with a well known builders merchant I was offered the job but would have been given a bond to sign of 2300GBP to do their version of the HIAB and FLT qualifications which I already had obtained at my own cost.

I have came to the conclusion that the agency route may be a easier way in but it’s getting enough hours to get by on until a full time job becomes obtainable