New Pass C+E - Agency Advice

Hello guys,

If possible, I would be very grateful for some advice. I passed my C+E in February and I currently work for a company as a warehouseman. This company have their own distribution depots that I’m trying to transfer into as a driver. In the meantime, on my days off from their what I would like to do is get some agency work maybe one day a week, to gain experience and earn a little extra money while I wait for a vacancy. I’ve not driven since I passed my test seven weeks ago so I’m rather nervous.

Could you suggest any good agency companies I could try? In the East Midlands area. I’m currently based in Nottingham and I’m willing to travel.

Thank you in advance.

Chris.

Try Adinas Recruitment Agency (based in Mansfield). Always been spot on with me and will accept new drivers.

Make sure you adhere to the weekly rest rules if doing EU regs driving because the warehouse work cannot count as rest

Would your current company let you practice reversing onto bays in your spare time?

Most clients of agencies would probably have you do some kind of assessment to prove you can reverse without hitting something…They will usually have you reverse onto one of their more awkward bays to prove you’re good to go.

UPS can take on new passes - Or my local depot does via smaller agencies anyway.
Not sure what Hermes or DHL require these days.

An update. I’ve signed on with Adinas and I believe I’ll be working for Sports Direct next Friday. I’m told I’ll be double manning. Does anyone have any experience with this? I’m a little unsure how it works.

My guess is that one person drives one way and the other drives back, while the first is sleeping?

This is a very established method of “bedding yourself in” and seems to work very well. Have no idea how the driving/rest is organised. But the beauty of it is that someone else knows the route, the drops and all the procedures. Several of our new passes have started their career this way.

Downside can be the length of the shift. But that’s life!

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Double manning on your first gig is the best way to go,better than the “here’s your keys and notes and good luck”.tell the driver your out with its your first day and should be fine,when he’s driving and gets to a drop get out and watch him reverse in,can see and learn more from outside,and when its our turn ask him to watch you in (he should do anyway if he’s half decent) and ask all the questions you want,tacho’s another minefield he will help with and good luck.
As Pete said can be long days but it is what it is experience that’s what matters.

Jeff.

Edited it can’t spell lol

Thanks for the replies.

It’s a relief knowing I won’t be alone especially after not driving for two months. I’m curious though, with double manning how will I be paid? From the moment we leave the depot to the moment we return?

You’re exactly the same position that I am in, I am awaiting transfer with my company whilst currently working their warehouse. I’ve been doing agency one day a week and warehousing the other 4. Double manning is a good way to get started, my agency has been sending me out the same way but delivering for Tesco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agentile:
Thanks for the replies.

It’s a relief knowing I won’t be alone especially after not driving for two months. I’m curious though, with double manning how will I be paid? From the moment we leave the depot to the moment we return?

I get paid from the start time the agency give me to whenever we finish. So if they contract me to 5am, I will arrive at the yard for 5am and paid from then, you will each get paid the full rate of pay they have quoted you. For me it’s usually £11 an hour.

Valentine75:
You’re exactly the same position that I am in, I am awaiting transfer with my company whilst currently working their warehouse. I’ve been doing agency one day a week and warehousing the other 4. Double manning is a good way to get started, my agency has been sending me out the same way but delivering for Tesco.

My concern is that I’m still working full time where I am, on top of this driving shift. I won’t have much rest time.

How many days/hours? I managed to squeeze it in when I was slightly more hours but the company restructured so I used to my advantage to cut down. Before that I found a clause in my contract to request a reduced contract for 12 weeks. Is there anything like that with you? I’m in a supermarket if that helps narrow it down, but not Tesco. That’s my agency work.

At the moment I work Sunday to Thursday - 36 Hours. Double manning Friday to Saturday - Up to 21 Hours. I won’t get a day off but, I get the experience and a nice pay bonus. I’ll have to drop a day somewhere.

From what I can see you can’t do it as where do you have our fortnightly or weekly rest if your working 7 days a week?

Daytrunker:
From what I can see you can’t do it as where do you have our fortnightly or weekly rest if your working 7 days a week?

If I was to get a reduction to 24 I could work alternate weekends or every third weekend?

Agentile:
At the moment I work Sunday to Thursday - 36 Hours. Double manning Friday to Saturday - Up to 21 Hours. I won’t get a day off but, I get the experience and a nice pay bonus. I’ll have to drop a day somewhere.

If under EU regs on the driving then you MUST by law comply with the EU regs weekly rest rules

Non driving work time cannot count as rest for the regs

ROG:

Agentile:

If under EU regs on the driving then you MUST by law comply with the EU regs weekly rest rules

Right so. As long as I have at least 24 hours between the two and drive for them every third week, I’m good. Correct?

Agentile:

ROG:

Agentile:

Right so. As long as I have at least 24 hours between the two and drive for them every third week, I’m good. Correct?

YES

Thank you for all of the great responses. I haven’t started yet, I believe they may have me booked in for this weekend. I have a question though…

For the non-driving work days in the week, must I enter them manually into the Tacho?

Agentile:
Thank you for all of the great responses. I haven’t started yet, I believe they may have me booked in for this weekend. I have a question though…

For the non-driving work days in the week, must I enter them manually into the Tacho?

No - it is too fiddly - do manual entries on printout rolls - just start and finish times needed

If doing more non driving days than driving days then a diary is acceptable with start and finish times for each day