First ever proper interview coming up for a newpass

I’ve recently passed my class 1 and have been lucky enough to be offered a job interview in a fortnights time to drive class 1’s. If I’m honest I’m surprised I’ve even been offered an interview as I haven’t done any class 2 work at all. Now the problem is I’m only 20 and have only worked on various farms all my life but have never once had a proper interview at all so I have very little idea on what’s going to happen, so if someone would kindly explain what to expect it would be much appreciated.

And now for a few questions…
I keep reading people saying to dress smart but how smart is too smart and what would be considered acceptable?
I’ve been told by my potential employer I just need to bring my licence, tacho and cpc card with me, but this has left me a little stumped, as does that mean I don’t need to bring an attempt at a CV with me as I haven’t been asked to show them one at any stage so far, I’ve only had to fill out a lengthy application form?

Dress smart casual no need for suit and tie!

Licence cards etc are for them to check valid, they may want you to do an assessment drive.

Just drive normally and take time. They’ll allow for new pass.

Interview will be along lines of what work experience you have and to get to know you as a person. Expect questions on driving hours/wtd etc so brush up on those.

Nearly every interview I’ve done for trucks have been informal affairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with your boots and a high viz … .wear smart jeans or black work strides ,a clean nice top and have a shave .
Take your tacho cpc and licence .the night before
Brush up on eu hours and wtd hours .watch a few youtube vids on coupling and un coupling .Remember black .tell the assessor you are new .but the main thing is listen to the driver assessor and make sure you concentrate on driving safely take it slow and steady .take your time .do not drive fast and take on his advise .
Best of luck pal

If you get an assessment drive engage in convo …it will help relax you both .strike up a friendship it could last years …
Also research the company you are applying to .know what they Do .

Marky D:
I’ve recently passed my class 1

Have you made up a CV yet? If you have take it with you. Why not? Doesnt weigh much does it! :smiley: Not got one yet? No harm in taking an hour to make one up, but its very doubtful youll be asked for one at this stage Id have thought.

In my experience companies prefer their own application form over a cv. And they contain the same information so since you’ve filled out their application form I wouldn’t worry about bringing a cv.

Dress smart casual and bring work boots, hi viz incase needed.

Its always a good idea to know a bit about the company and the role you’ve applied for.

I’ve only had one driving interview but lots of others! Its standard to expect to be asked about yourself, the role. Your expectations.

Not on my driving job but in other roles I’ve been asked what would you do in this situation type questions and questions about passed experiences that relate to the role.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’m in a similar position (with out the interview) I’m a new pass and farmer but yet to take an interview, Im in the middle of compiling a CV but I do worry about a reference because it’s a family farm so it would be my dad. Also with out any GCSE (Well none that matter) I was hopping because im 30 they will not give a monkey puzzle

I would be interested to know how you get on with your interview.

P.s First post

Farmer Trucker:
I’m in a similar position (with out the interview) I’m a new pass and farmer but yet to take an interview, Im in the middle of compiling a CV but I do worry about a reference because it’s a family farm so it would be my dad. Also with out any GCSE (Well none that matter) I was hopping because im 30 they will not give a monkey puzzle

I would be interested to know how you get on with your interview.

P.s First post

Every firm is different. Admittedly we are a bit odd because we take on from recommendation rather than advertising, but I’ve only ever looked over a reference briefly. I work more on gut feeling about someone - and as far as farmers go, I’d take the view that you already know about hard work :wink: . Big firms are different, want more is dotting and ts crossing, but then they are sometimes more desperate.

Good luck