More Agency Work Advice

Following on from another member who asked for help regarding taking agency work to gain experience while keeping his current job, having passed my Cat C a fortnight ago, I’ve been thinking about going down this route myself - especially as my instructor recommended it as a good way to get some hours under my belt while I’m waiting to do my Cat CE.

Currently, I’m a bus driver so I have the experience with large vehicles, it’s the “job” experience I’m in need of.

But my main question regarding agency work as a 2nd job is what are the tax and NI implications?

Steve

suvvers2003:
Following on from another member who asked for help regarding taking agency work to gain experience while keeping his current job, having passed my Cat C a fortnight ago, I’ve been thinking about going down this route myself - especially as my instructor recommended it as a good way to get some hours under my belt while I’m waiting to do my Cat CE.

Currently, I’m a bus driver so I have the experience with large vehicles, it’s the “job” experience I’m in need of.

But my main question regarding agency work as a 2nd job is what are the tax and NI implications?

Steve

They will give you BR tax code for the second job, it means they will take 20% off from your second salary for tax and NI.

milesahead:

suvvers2003:

Steve

They will give you BR tax code for the second job, it means they will take 20% off from your second salary for tax and NI.

Depends how much you earn. They will take 20% tax (assuming the total income from both jobs doesn’t bump you into the higher income tax bracket). They will take an additional 12% for NI, making a total deduction of around 32% from everything you earn on the second salary, provided your total earnings are not more than £45k for the year.

EDIT: No - scrub that. If you have a second job you’ll normally only pay 2% NI on the second wage.