O licence and recovery query

Hi there - first off hope this question is in the right place - First a bit of background to help regarding my question - I work for a garage and I drive a sprinter with a Tacho and a 2 an a half ton payload I mainly pick cars up for Sale from all over the country and we have a licence to so so - from time to time we pick up broken down vehicles and bring them in to repair, my question being if they are within 100km radius of the garage do i need to use the tacho ? Obviously ot will be flashing away telling me im driving without a card etc i would of thought we as a company would need a special licence for this? My gut instinct tells me its not ok ?

Jono_84:
Hi there - first off hope this question is in the right place - First a bit of background to help regarding my question - I work for a garage and I drive a sprinter with a Tacho and a 2 an a half ton payload I mainly pick cars up for Sale from all over the country and we have a licence to so so - from time to time we pick up broken down vehicles and bring them in to repair, my question being if they are within 100km radius of the garage do i need to use the tacho ? Obviously ot will be flashing away telling me im driving without a card etc i would of thought we as a company would need a special licence for this? My gut instinct tells me its not ok ?

If the Sprinter GVW ia not more than 3500kg and you are not towing a trailer then there is no legal requirement to use or have a tacho in it

Tacho regs etc only apply to vehicles or combinations where the total of the plated weights are more than 3500kg and then only if an exemption does not apply

The truck weight is 3ton and can carry 2.5 (from memory) so 5500. its a twin rear wheel thing - I do use the tacho all the time i just wasnt sure if and when we use it for recovery if we are exempt from using the tacho or if we would need a recovery licence ? Its a bit sporadic when we do recoverys but does come up quite a bit