Driving test tomorrow, again (C+E)

10-11am and I thought it would be a lot easier than it is, my neck and eyeballs hurt from checking that N/S mirror.

Any examiners on here? Would I be marked down for going too slow, say 40 in a 50? My mains areas of error are, not checking the N/S mirror when changing to the right hand lane, roundabout planning (have pulled out on cars in lessons as not seeing blockers coming round til the last minute then pulling away and the car coming from my right out of the junction has to slow down, can be hard to tell in my opinion as cars move fast truck moves slow) and leaving the indicator on too long.

Everything I seem to fail on in lessons is a major fail on test :frowning: who said truck driving was easy? I honestly cant see me passing first time!

Ghiabox:
10-11am and I thought it would be a lot easier than it is, my neck and eyeballs hurt from checking that N/S mirror.

Any examiners on here? Would I be marked down for going too slow, say 40 in a 50? My mains areas of error are, not checking the N/S mirror when changing to the right hand lane, roundabout planning (have pulled out on cars in lessons as not seeing blockers coming round til the last minute then pulling away and the car coming from my right out of the junction has to slow down, can be hard to tell in my opinion as cars move fast truck moves slow) and leaving the indicator on too long.

Everything I seem to fail on in lessons is a major fail on test :frowning: who said truck driving was easy? I honestly cant see me passing first time!

Doing 40 in a 50 when there is no reason to is a minor and if you keep doing it or do it for a long time then it is a fail

Roundabouts - if you have a busy one near you then can you stand and observe what goes on whilst pretending to be in a lorry trying to get out :question: - try and work out who is going where and when as well as how fast

Ghiabox:

Drive to the conditions. On a dry, clear day, providing the road permits, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be making good progress.

An example: we have a local single carriageway which is national speed limit. 50MPH in a truck on this road would be fairly dangerous - it is quite twisty in places. However, on a clear dry day, where the road opens up for a few hundred metres, there is no reason why candidates can’t build up a little speed, creeping just over 40MPH. This shows safe progress and also indicates that the candidate is aware of the speed limit.

Mirrors are essential - you should be checking them BOTH every 10 seconds minimum. Don’t forget to check them before changing direction, before signalling, when passing pedestrians or parked cars in built up areas, and when slowing down. Remember to check your blind spot every time you pull away from standstill, BEFORE the wheels start turning.

Take your time at roundabouts and junctions. There is no rush or time limit - only proceed when you are 100% confident it is clear to do so. I’m sure you would rather pick up a minor for undue hesitation than a serious fault for observation (cutting someone up). As I was always told, the space will always open, you just have to be patient.

It seems a lot to remember, but plenty of practice should get you into a rhythm/routine. ROG’s suggestion is a good idea - also, try and turn the interior mirror around on your car and drive using just the OS & NS wing mirrors to improve your routine.

Hope this helps - best of luck for tomorrow.

All that stress and I passed with one minor! Thought I’d failed early on :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley:

Congratulations! Well done

Thanks, now for a dumb question. I post my pass certificate and driving licenece off ASAP to get the cat c entitlement added dont I? I haven’t done mod 4 yet (29th of this month I do that)

Ghiabox:
Thanks, now for a dumb question. I post my pass certificate and driving licenece off ASAP to get the cat c entitlement added dont I? I haven’t done mod 4 yet (29th of this month I do that)

You need to show the examiner your licence on the 29th

OK, wont post it off yet lol thanks!

Not even a year later (just lol) and I’m onto C+E tomorrow in Darlington.

Got the reverse boxed off, uncoupling and coupling boxed off just need to remember to ask the examiner to check the lights for me and hope I can get the roundabouts right as thats the main issue around the outskirts of Darlington.

If anyone sees the Twinway driving school artic between 12/13:00 ish do me a favour and be kind :laughing:

Good luck Darlington is where I passed my Class One (as it was called back in those days) test.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, do you remember the roundabout at the bottom of the A66 where the car garage is (Evans Halshow?)? Absolute nightmare that one.

Test cancelled due to high winds

Ghiabox:

Bummer :frowning: but there again you’ve got enough to think about with out the added wind affect on the trailer

blue estate:

Ghiabox:

Bummer :frowning: but there again you’ve got enough to think about with out the added wind affect on the trailer

Personally I dont feel the wind was bad enough to affect my ability on that, I’m not going to say I can handle a trailer in high winds on open motorway etc but the routes they take learners on I dont feel I would have struggled at all. But its their call and they made it so what can I do?

Test is rebooked for 27th but I hope they can get me in sooner as I’m back to work on the 26th from which I’ll have had two weeks off and a week of that was specifically for this :laughing: :unamused:

Ghiabox:

Got the reverse boxed off, uncoupling and coupling boxed off just need to remember to ask the examiner to check the lights for me and hope I can get the roundabouts right as thats the main issue around the outskirts of Darlington.

If anyone sees the Twinway driving school artic between 12/13:00 ish do me a favour and be kind :laughing:

I did my class 1 just a few weeks after my class 2. Passed class 2 last December and class 1 in January. March 4th, 2 weeks ago, I started my 1st Job as a class 1 tipper driver. Apart from the very, very steep learning curve, I’m loving it :smiley:

Hey Ghiabox, good luck bro @)
I passed me class 2 in Darlo, fresh faced 18 year old frpm Catterick Camp.
One thing sticks out in my memory from the test route.
coming up to going underneath the railway, you go downhill, under the railway, and straight away there is a nasty right angled turn to the right. Narrow road. Does that ring any bells, mate?
Flat bed AEC 10 tonner, no power steering and a gearstick with a knob the size of a small football. Sweating all day in that.

Jasesonix:

Ghiabox:

I did my class 1 just a few weeks after my class 2. Passed class 2 last December and class 1 in January. March 4th, 2 weeks ago, I started my 1st Job as a class 1 tipper driver. Apart from the very, very steep learning curve, I’m loving it :smiley:

Just wait til you have to go back out in a rigid :laughing: I wanted a years experience on the roads before going for c+e and I think I made the right choice. Each to their own though and well done to you getting both passed so quickly!

steviespain:
Hey Ghiabox, good luck bro @)
I passed me class 2 in Darlo, fresh faced 18 year old frpm Catterick Camp.
One thing sticks out in my memory from the test route.
coming up to going underneath the railway, you go downhill, under the railway, and straight away there is a nasty right angled turn to the right. Narrow road. Does that ring any bells, mate?
Flat bed AEC 10 tonner, no power steering and a gearstick with a knob the size of a small football. Sweating all day in that.

I know where you mean mate, headed towards the roundabout where you go left for town centre parking or right (well straight on but its a slight right bend) for the bottom of north road or head out to the A68.

The area has changed a lot in the last 10 years and I dont think the part you’re on about is part of the test route these days, no power steering must have been a bit of a bast@rd :laughing:

BishBashBosh:
Mirrors are essential - you should be checking them BOTH every 10 seconds minimum. Don’t forget to check them before changing direction, before signalling,

I never understood why you have to check your mirror BEFORE signalling. What happens if you signal first? Serious question. Thanks

ETS:

BishBashBosh:
Mirrors are essential - you should be checking them BOTH every 10 seconds minimum. Don’t forget to check them before changing direction, before signalling,

I never understood why you have to check your mirror BEFORE signalling. What happens if you signal first? Serious question. Thanks

How about doing that may cause another driver about to pass you to slam on as they are think you might signal and pull straight out

Make sure your signal will not cause others to change course or speed - look first :smiley: