Best Android GPS app?

Hey all,

As per the title, I’m wondering what is regarded as the best app for HGV drivers?

I’ve been recommended Co Pilot which looks good, but just wondering if there’s anything else out there - especially, anything which allows me to download the route over wifi before leaving rather than caning my data for 48 hours a week. I think it could get expensive using 4G all day every day.

Cheers!

Download the route over WiFi to save data? Erm? Copilot?

I use Google maps. I have 5gb data never been over it yet . Use it about 20 hours a week maybe usually use it to mostly to places never been before . Although I most use road maps use sat nav for last few miles

jbaz73:
Download the route over WiFi to save data? Erm? Copilot?

Ah, if it can do that then sounds just the ticket…

Cheers!

Copilot downloads the maps when you install it, so you can use it offline if you wish. It only uses live internet for the traffic, I don’t bother. I use copilot to get me about a mile away and then switch to google maps to walk me to the door, never had a problem yet.

Your other option is aponia, I can’t pass comment on that, I’ve not used it but lots of people rate it. I don’t think you have any other hgv options at this time.

A free basic truck sat nav is also available.

Navmeto available on play store and probably available on apple store I imagine.

simcor:
A free basic truck sat nav is also available.

Navmeto available on play store and probably available on apple store I imagine.

Hmm… not quite free! in-app purchases and does not work on all android phones.

No truck satnav app is perfect? Neither is the Trucker’s atlas… I’ve caught it out on several roads e.g. Queen’s Road, Skegness - a 7.5T limit and not listed.

I have found OSM far more accurate than either Garmin or TomTom maps (see earlier post of mine). Phone apps have a tendency to crash and not so reliable as a dedicated unit - but are they worth the price and I think not.

Best value truck satnav app I have found with that also does waypoints is Navigator by mapfactor which uses TomTom maps and you only pay about £35 per year. Certainly guided me well around Sheffield with its nightmare bridges and weight limits. But I still prefer to use it in combination with the Trucker’s Atlas and often using the OSM data with waypoints to keep on a certain route.

Best two truck satnav apps I have used are Aponia and Co-Pilot (Sygic a close third). Google for 40+ hours a week is not worth it and the voice often gets directions wrong. Price £70-£80 per year.

For speeds sake (with loads of deliveries on multidrop) routing I have found Here maps is best - quickest on detour along with Trucker’s Atlas suits me. Here maps has not crashed on my phone like other apps. Navmii is a good car satnav for roadworks although I don’t like it’s latest version (buggy).

I think it’s fair to say that the days of TomTom and Garmin are limited - a small tablet allows you the choice of preferred satnav along with vehicle check, tacho apps as well as truck stops.

So I’m new to trucking and I’m crap with maps when driving ok as a copilot.
I now drive a lot in the M25 FULL ON ARTIC 15’.5” high
I bought (£8:99 a month) copilot it was highly recommended Such a disappointment on an iPhone 7 in town kept on dropping out and crashing down to poor gps and not that great for getting you right where you need to be considering it’s a pay to use and the live traffic tells you traffic is slow when your stuck IN IT.
Phillips navigator atlas is great for getting up and down the county but it’s an atlas not pinpoint in town.

Free iPhone car google maps yep if you’re good at rembering junction in London it could be useful but you have look where you’re going as to height wait bridges ect ect Hay we are professional drivers after all.
BUT 2 months on looking on eBay I got a Garmin dezl 770 lmt-d 6 months old for the bargain price £160.
I now have it on all the time even when I know where I’m going because it’s Speedo is easier to see as it’s the 7” screen.
It also knows what the speed limit is. It’s on the windscreen not in the dash And easy to see and it beeps when you over speed beeps at fixed and mobile speed cameras its linked to my phone so reads my text messages makes phone calls ect ect.
O it has never failed or crashed or had poor gps.
And at +/- .500m its not pinpoint
But it’s my 100% recommendation

Is the 5" version as good? Seen a few on ebay for 120 from Lithuania? I only drive occasionally and have relied on my road knowledge Google and reading signs. Thinking of upgrading tho, any other advice, on a budget. Are the Phillips atlas worth investing in?