Can't get a job

I have a CPC and Tacho, I have 12 months experience driving a 3.5 ton recovery truck. I am currently self employed, my last job shut up shop and I am currently out of work. I am applying for all kinds of driving roles and hearing nothing back. I have been able to drive for 23 years and have a clean licence. Any tips?

cheeseontoast:
I am applying for all kinds of driving roles

In person :question:

Write up a decent cv, make a list of hauliers and turn up to them dressed ready for a job. I have managed to get quite a few interviews this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where abouts are you?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Stick at the job hunt mate, something will come, I passed my Class C Nov 2017 and thought the same as you why can’t I get a job? I didn’t try to get a job after I passed with Christmas and all that coming up so I left it and went knocking on doors. New pass with no experience coming from a nursing background no one was wanting to take a chance or put in the time to show me the ropes. Then after knocking on the door of a company that was a transport company they gave me a chance. It was delivering for a well known Swedish furniture shop but that didn’t work out but I was able to that I had a brief amount of experience. I moved on to what I thought was a decent wee job but being salaried it was starting to take the ■■■■ with longer hours meaning lower £ per hour and so on Friday it will be at shift and I will be starting in the fruit market on class 2 on Monday on better money too. So keep it there and try the places that you wouldn’t expect to have there own trucks. Good luck and keep your chin up as something will come up
Cheers Paul

Valentine75:
Write up a decent cv, make a list of hauliers and turn up to them dressed ready for a job. I have managed to get quite a few interviews this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Def this, I used to just drive into haulage yards and request to speak to the TM or person involved with driver recruitment. Getting past gate staff at bigger places can be an issue without appointment. But best smile on, be positive, engaging and courteous to everyone you meet, inc grumpy gate staff :laughing: .

Dress really presentable but for the job and like you’ve put thought in and mean business - so clean shiny boots, smart work trousers and perhaps a smart plain polo shirt (no logos) or normal shirt tucked in. Smart bag with clean hi viz and gloves just in case and a Tesco document folder containing CV and copies of driving docs. You can get cheap laptop bags from Tesco. They look smart (rather than a scruffy grip) and carry enough accessories in case you get asked to go on a drive there and then.

cheeseontoast:
I have a CPC and Tacho, I have 12 months experience driving a 3.5 ton recovery truck. I am currently self employed, my last job shut up shop and I am currently out of work. I am applying for all kinds of driving roles and hearing nothing back. I have been able to drive for 23 years and have a clean licence. Any tips?

Have you phoned any recruitment agency’s they usually get you some work irregular and not the best work but might help you get started

Thanks for the replies, so just turn up to some and hope for the best, def will try it!

I’m in the West Midlands

cheeseontoast:

You don’t say what licence you have ?