Medical and provisional

I did my medical back on the 17th February and sent off for my Provisional straight away. I have high blood pressure. And when I spoke to the medical professional he said I shouldn’t have a problem.

Anyways 4 weeks later and I’m still waiting for my Provisional and I have contacted the DVLA and now they have to send something to my doctor. DVLA told me to contact them in 2 weeks. I obviously getting a bit anxious now.

My medication is ramapril and amlodipine.

Is any one on here taking the same tablets? Or got high blood pressure?

Getting abit worried that I won’t get my provisional now.

Any advice appreciated thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Cant help specifically with the medication query, but I can reassure you that a 4 week delay with the medical section is not long.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Chase your gp to ensure they do the report. Due to some medication I was taking they requested a report and it took the doctors 5 weeks to reply. Once they had it dvsa sent my provisional very quickly

Thanks I phoned the GP yesterday and said I think we have received that. Then she said we haven’t received it.

I’m going to phone them every day I think. Thanks for the advice.

It is fairly easy to reduce blood pressure,the difficulty is finding the right medication since most have some kind of side effect,but once on the right one for you,you should be ok.I used to take ramipril but a side effect is a persistent tickly cough.I take amlodipine but that causes a swollen tongue which is annoying when you bite yourself.I have no side effect from candesartan but we are all different.
Medics usually make an allowance for what they call"white coat syndrome"when they test blood pressure.A practice nurse suggested to me that if you hold your breath for several seconds and release slowly for a few times it will give a more accurate"normal"reading.Works for me.

Got me panicking now. Got my medical on 29.03 was hoping to to start my training in May, I am on similar tablets. My blood pressure is below the 180/100 threshold but I still need constant medication.

Keep us informed as to the DVLA process.

Don’t panic.180/100 is classed as slightly raised.If you flap the stress of your medical will raise this.I know it’s easy to say but stay calm.Breathe deep and slow.Hold your breath for a few times just before the test.Think happy thoughts.

Blood pressure isn’t tested on the medical. But you will have to declare your current medication and (I think) provide 3 recent blood pressure results.

EDIT: Blood Pressure IS tested on medical - - it’s memory that isn’t!!

Jaylee:
Thanks I phoned the GP yesterday and said I think we have received that. Then she said we haven’t received it.

I’m going to phone them every day I think. Thanks for the advice.

Thats a good idea. I do wonder if they dragged their heels as I didn’t use them for the medical.

They wanted 3 times more than I paid so I went elsewhere

RickyK:
Got me panicking now. Got my medical on 29.03 was hoping to to start my training in May, I am on similar tablets. My blood pressure is below the 180/100 threshold but I still need constant medication.

Keep us informed as to the DVLA process.

yeah try not to worry i know easier said than done. my last 3 readings before my medical was around the 150/85 mark than on the day it went to 178/90 definitely had white coat syndrome that day. i had it checked the other day at a cardiology appointment it was 140/80 so. yeah just don’t worry about it.

so long story short

i phoned the doctors Monday still no letter
phoned on Tuesday still no letter. this isn’t going anywhere fast
phoned DVLA Tuesday. they told me the doctors should have the letter because they sent it over a week ago. i ask what are my other options. “oh we can fax it if you like” WTF why cant they do that it the first place.

“oh and dont forget to tell your doctors they can fax it back”. are these people sure. government run departments are useless.

anyway

my doctors phoned me and told me they had received the fax and sent it back to them. so out of curiosity i asked what is it the DVLA was asking for. bearing in mind i had gave them a copy of my ECG echo cardiogram and other bits and pieces i had got from my doctors because i paid for my medical records which was £10 if you ask me well worth it to send stuff with your medical.

anyway all they wanted was a copy of my cardiology appointment i had on the 9th of march which was after i sent the medical forms but because i told the D4 medical bloke i had it and i booked it online we wrote it in the box on the form.

so it took 5 weeks in total to get my provisional license back :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

so RickyK you have nothing to worry about just make sure you get your medical records and put copies of the tests you’ve had with the D4 medical when you send it off. you will just have to wait a little bit longer to get your provisional back than someone who has a good bill of health. all the best fella.

Peter Smythe:
Blood pressure isn’t tested on the medical. But you will have to declare your current medication and (I think) provide 3 recent blood pressure results.

Mine was :open_mouth: I must of got a touchy feely doctor.

JakeWS:

Peter Smythe:

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Mine was :open_mouth: I must of got a touchy feely doctor.

Blood pressure is tested on the D4 medical done mine in February.

Just to share with people that I passed my medical today. I used one of recommendations on here so it only cost £50 which was a £70 saving on using my own doctor! The company was Ready to Drive and they did the test in Warrington which is my local town.

I could hardly understand the Polish doctor but for the record he tested my eyes using a very crude cover one eye and read the bottom line technique. I had passed an eye est with Spec-Savers at the start of the month so wasn’t an issue.

I think because of my previous bloods presssure history he felt compelled to take a reading which was 138/79 so no problems. The rest of the medical was questions and answers which I had prepared for. He never weighed or measured me and I had to bring that info in.

So I will now send the D4 off and will let you know when I hear back just to finish my part in this thread off. Hope they don’t count how many units of alcohol I am drinking this weekend as it may get me banned before I even start!

Enjoy the weekend peeps

Peter Smythe:

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

You sure about that?.Just had mine on Monday and it was tested then.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:
Blood pressure isn’t tested on the medical.

Why’s it on the form? my last 2 medicals blood pressure was taken.

Gidders:
Don’t panic.180/100 is classed as slightly raised.If you flap the stress of your medical will raise this.I know it’s easy to say but stay calm.Breathe deep and slow.Hold your breath for a few times just before the test.Think happy thoughts.

180/100 is classed as high , it’s the upper limit !
Jim