Part time Work.

Was Just looking for some advice really , I currently work as an engineer for the Big British oil company on there ships .
However I work a 3 months on 3 months off rotation and I get very bored on my leave , and usually end up working during my leave.

I have tried Parcel work and quite enjoyed it , was thinking of doing my Class 2 and doing some agency work.

My question to you is do you think it is worth it , I get my bonus in april so was thinking of spending a little a bit of it and doing my class 2. This isn’t really to supplement my income however I am saving up for another house.

Would I struggle to find agency work if I’m not going to be around all year , once on leave I would likely be doing full time hours so that isn’t an issue.

Or would having 3 month gaps in driving time affect employment prospects , any feedback welcome.

In addition any recommendations on training providers in the North west region , I’m based in Blackpool but willing to travel anywhere really.

I have looked at the following online so if anyone’s trained with them where they any good.

Red rose
Lan train
ribble valley
Enterprise

and also heard good things about Pete smythes place.

I think you’ll only ever get agency work,but you probabaly know that anyway…
You may struggle to get work as a freshly passed class 2 driver and tbh I’d just stick with parcel work if you enjoyed that you particularly if you’re just looking for a boredom buster.
Most places will want you to go in for a assessment drive and jump through various hoops,Hazard awareness ect before considering you anyway in which time you could be earning driving a van and tbh the divide in pay between van work and class 2 in narrowing year on year due to minimum wage rises but class 2 wages going no where.
Agencies seem to be busy at 2 times of the year for class 2 driving jobs…summer time when drivers are taking holidays and covers required & the run up the xmas but with class 2 the xmas busy period is much shorter because most xmas stock is shifted in class ones doing trunks from RDC to RDC.
Personally given your situation I wouldn’t bother,seems way to much hassle for little reward.

On the other hand… as a new pass agency driver I have no problem finding work. Some of it is rubbish work - but I’ve told the agency what I’m not willing to do and they seem okay with that. But on class 2 at least in my area, you will get work no problems. People will say that must be cowboy type work… Well maybe so - but I do a fair bit for a sub contractor at DHL JLR sites and am given a nearly new vehicle - so it can’t be that dodgy.

I’ve never done a driving assessment/induction. I just rock up and am given keys. Rarely a company will ask to see cards - but a few do. One place who are a national builders merchants didn’t have me do an induction but did get a bit funny when I didn’t know their rules. I’m told that if you want to work directly for the really big companies you need an assessment - but in reality, you’d probably do a few shifts for smaller clients before you subject yourself to that.

Think I’ll give the class 2 training a go, a decent way to waste a few months getting all the paperwork sorted.

The market in my current job has fallen massively, so job security isn’t a given atm. Hence it can be a backup plan if it’s hits the fan in the future.

What’s the agency work like, regarding the times the market is quite after Christmas. Is all the times that I’m away at sea so no issues there

Cheers for the replies.

Hey Beefy you are already earning a good Weg as being an engineer in British oil, what more do you want?

crazyplay:
Hey Beefy you are already earning a good Weg as being an engineer in British oil, what more do you want?

Just something to keep me busy mate , Im so used to working all the time that sitting around twiddling my thumbs . Does my head in after a few weeks , When at sea we do about 10-12 hours every day for 3months no days off so enjoy being busy. Tried Taxi’ing and Parcels always enjoyed it , thinking driving might be my calling. In truth I hate my job so looking to branch out , moneys not everything although it does make life easier. Not sure I want to miss my Birthday and Christmas every year for the rest of my working life.

Maybe I’m a nutter and should just spend the money on a visit to a shrink.

If your thinking of it avoid red rose if it’s the one near Bolton.
I trained with them was ripped off. Paid for course to do c1 and c2. Passed c2 no problem . Then they said as passed in c2 to do c1 have do wag and drag . There reason was as because im use to driving c2 be easier as be in same wagon just towing a trailer. It wasn’t it was difficult to hook up and reverse. And they went interested in changing me to proper hgv to learn in said this or nothing and I failed trying reverse the thing around the cones.

Red Rose have a good rep on here so could it be that you simply found reversing difficult as many others have done for CE ?

I’d heard good things about red rose. Was going to have a look at lan train , red rose and enterprise when I get back from sea.

Any one got any experience with the east lancs place in Darren.

Stick at the Courier work. Thought about buying yourself a Luton van and doing man & a van type of work? People always want ■■■■ moving.