Manual Entry question

Hi.
After two months of sickness leave I had an assessment drive as I applied for a class 1 job. I jumped into the cab and put my card into the tacho. I didn’t do any manual Entry and I just started my day. When I finished my last shift before my sickness I’m sure I must have left my card on other work before ejecting as at my previous place of work we used to do it and we entered then our daily or weekly rest using manual Entry feature.

My question is. How is the time between ejection and insertion recorded in this case. Is it rest or question mark if I didn’t do a manual Entry after leaving tacho on other work?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So I’ve seen many YT videos now and I’m pretty sure this is recorded as a break.

Can anyone confirm that?

I know maybe that’s a stupid question but that’s the first time in my career I didn’t do a manual entry. So I’m not sure how it works without it.

Thx.

Where I work, you take card out at end of shift, start of next shift put card in and say rest untill now…
Having said that we don’t do anything else after card is removed.

I might be totally wrong, my company are happy with it though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Luke81:
So I’ve seen many YT videos now and I’m pretty sure this is recorded as a break.

From removing to re-inserting that is deemed as rest not break for that length of time

Only if going out of UK would you need a letter of attestation to cover that long a period

Luke81:
Hi.
After two months of sickness leave I had an assessment drive as I applied for a class 1 job. I jumped into the cab and put my card into the tacho. I didn’t do any manual Entry and I just started my day. When I finished my last shift before my sickness I’m sure I must have left my card on other work before ejecting as at my previous place of work we used to do it and we entered then our daily or weekly rest using manual Entry feature.

My question is. How is the time between ejection and insertion recorded in this case. Is it rest or question mark if I didn’t do a manual Entry after leaving tacho on other work?

As far as I’m aware if you haven’t done a manual entry nothing is recorded on you card for the time it wasn’t being used, looking at my analysis software mine just shows rest for days not used and no manual entry, but I always take the card out at rest.

However if by some chance it shows 2 months of other work and mr DVSA man looks at it, whats he going to think?
This driver has worked solid for 2 months without sleeping or even a tea break, this years Christmas party is going to be good?

It must be treated as a rest. Otherwise tacho would indicate required rest time during my assessment. Tacho was working as normal without any alarms so everything must be ok I think.

Luke81:
Hi.

What will be recorded will to some extent depend on how old the vehicle is.

If the vehicle was registered before mid 2012 and it’s the original tachograph the time the card was out of the tachograph will be recorded with the ? symbol.

If the vehicle was registered after 2012 the tachograph would want you to record what you was doing while the card was out, I don’t really know what’s recorded if when the card is inserted you leave the tachograph to do it’s own thing.

When inserting the driver card most post 2012 tachographs I’ve used have shown rest for the time the card was out, however several people have been caught out and had daily rest periods recorded as other work because they didn’t look what was going on when the driver card was inserted.

I would guess that if you looked at the tachograph during the assessment and there was no warnings flashing you’ve probably got away with it

No offence intended and I know lots of people on this board say they never do manual entries, but to be honest if I was an assessor and I noticed that you never even looked at what was going on when the card was inserted the assessment would be getting off to a bad start :frowning:

Actually the assessor told me they didn’t do manual entries at all so I naturally didn’t do it… So I guess in this type of tacho (type 2 vdo) the time between ejecting and re inserting the card is recorded as a rest. Otherwise they would have plenty of infringements I guess

Luke81:
Actually the assessor told me they didn’t do manual entries at all so I naturally didn’t do it… So I guess in this type of tacho (type 2 vdo) the time between ejecting and re inserting the card is recorded as a rest. Otherwise they would have plenty of infringements I guess

Yep the 2nd gen Stoneridge defo do when you put card in the screen says "rest till now " and you press ok to confirm and bobs your uncle

tachograph:
If the vehicle was registered after 2012 the tachograph would want you to record what you was doing while the card was out

Ok but even in this case doing a manual entry is not mandatory. Tacho gives you an option to do a manual entry or not. So in theory it should treat the time when the card was out as a rest. You know what I mean… If there is nothing to record manually it should be assumed that driver was resting… no matter what mode was set before card went out I guess

End of my shift everyday I always put it on break wait 2 mins then eject card. Thought everyone did that. If not why not. Even though use same wagon everyday never leave card in overnight just on off chance wagon gets moved around yard .registering it on my card

edd1974:
End of my shift everyday I always put it on break wait 2 mins then eject card. Thought everyone did that. If not why not. Even though use same wagon everyday never leave card in overnight just on off chance wagon gets moved around yard .registering it on my card

What’s your logic behined waiting 2 minutes?
Put it on break, eject card, never caused an infringement, never had any comebacks on roadside checks.
I leave my card in all the time when I’m away, been in for the best part of 4 weeks between downloads, only take it out when back at the yard.

muckles:

edd1974:

Put it on break, eject card, never caused an infringement, never had any comebacks on roadside checks.
I leave my card in all the time when I’m away, been in for the best part of 4 weeks between downloads, only take it out when back at the yard.

I cant answer for Edd but I treat my card similarly. Wait a minute so rest is actually showing, print out for my paper records, then eject. In the morning check machine is on bed, insert and wait at least 1min before switching to duty. A bit unnecessary and beltnbraces perhaps. I have in the past though omitted to enter "country of ending duty" and "country of starting duty" and been fined because of this. Ejecting and inserting the card gives prompts for this entry. (OK, Im the only person I know who has been fined for this but am determined not to go for a second one!)

Franglais:

muckles:

edd1974:

I cant answer for Edd but I treat my card similarly. Wait a minute so rest is actually showing, print out for my paper records, then eject. In the morning check machine is on bed, insert and wait at least 1min before switching to duty. A bit unnecessary and beltnbraces perhaps. I have in the past though omitted to enter "country of ending duty" and "country of starting duty" and been fined because of this. Ejecting and inserting the card gives prompts for this entry. (OK, Im the only person I know who has been fined for this but am determined not to go for a second one!)

There are no problems in waiting before ejecting the card, just seems pointless to me, but each to their own, (not going to get all offended and say that my way is the only way, enough of that in the World already :laughing: )
I know of people who have been advised about begin and end country, but not fined, was this in the UK or elsewhere?
I personally have no problem with leaving it in and using “Begin” and “End” country, it’s part of my end and begin shift procedure now so sort of done as a matter of course, a bit like you and Edd waiting for a while before ejecting the card. :wink:

muckles:
There are no problems in waiting before ejecting the card, just seems pointless to me, but each to their own, (not going to get all offended and say that my way is the only way, enough of that in the World already )
I know of people who have been advised about begin and end country, but not fined, was this in the UK or elsewhere?
I personally have no problem with leaving it in and using “Begin” and “End” country, it’s part of my end and begin shift procedure now so sort of done as a matter of course, a bit like you and Edd waiting for a while before ejecting the card.

I`m not saying my way is the only or best way, but it works OK.
I started doing it that way because of my previous laziness, and fine. I needed to break my old habit of doing nowt, and ejecting/inserting broke my habit.
The fine was in France. The gendarme seemed to be fining EVERYONE that time. Foreigners and locals were all queued up at the hole in the wall or writing out cheques. After going through all the hours, permits, tyres, lights, insurance, old CMRs he was frowning, but he eventually raised a grin at the Start/End error. He certainly seemed determined to get a fine somehow.*

Could it have been that it was early December and the office party still wasn`t funded?
Or would that be starting another conspiracy rumour??

• Most Gendarme aren`t like this one in my experience.

Franglais:

It’s legal and works for you then nothing wrong with that. :smiley:

Franglais:
The fine was in France. The gendarme seemed to be fining EVERYONE that time. Foreigners and locals were all queued up at the hole in the wall or writing out cheques. After going through all the hours, permits, tyres, lights, insurance, old CMRs he was frowning, but he eventually raised a grin at the Start/End error. He certainly seemed determined to get a fine somehow.*

Could it have been that it was early December and the office party still wasn`t funded?

Thought it might be something like that, overzealous cop on a mission and will find something regardless on how good you are.

Most of the athorities I’ve had dealings with have been ok, but you never know he might of caught his missus in bed with a truck driver that morning. :open_mouth: or worse his missus left a truck driver she’d run off with and come back home. :laughing:

muckles:

Franglais:

It’s legal and works for you then nothing wrong with that. :smiley:

Franglais:

Thought it might be something like that, overzealous cop on a mission and will find something regardless on how good you are.

Most of the athorities I’ve had dealings with have been ok, but you never know he might of caught his missus in bed with a truck driver that morning. :open_mouth: or worse his missus left a truck driver she’d run off with and come back home. :laughing:

I held a grudge for a while, but when I dropped it, I felt better.
I also rarely manage to keep a chip balanced on my shoulder for too long.
:smiley:

One more thing about manual entry.
So I had an induction today and going out fist time tommorow. Is it necessary to do a manual entry to record my induction? If so what should I put in? Other work?

Luke81:
So I had an induction today and going out fist time tommorow. Is it necessary to do a manual entry to record my induction? If so what should I put in? Other work?

I would say to be absolutly technically correct yes as its work related.

Luke81:

Legally you should record the time, assuming that you did no driving the time should be recorded as other work.

Legally the time can be recorded manually onto your driver card via a digital tachograph, or you can write a manual entry on printing paper or chart, I believe many people use a notebook.

If you write a manual entry on paper or chart ec’t, when you insert your driver card you should record the time from when the card was last ejected with the ? symbol.

Sent from my mobile.