Passed my class 2 yesterday interview on Monday

Hi thank you for reading this post.

I passed my class 2 yesterday and was going to go straight into my class 1 training. I was looking on the internet today and noticed a local haulage have class 2 jobs going, so I chanced my hand haha. Got a call back within hours offering an interview.

I did mention on my cover letter that I am looking to do my class 1 within a short amount of time, so my first question is if and it’s a big if I was to get the job would use hold off doing my class 1 for a while and get some experience of driving professionally?

And my next question is what interview clothes are acceptable for a hgv driver?
Smart/casual or shirt and tie.

Thank you for reading and any answers you give.

kopkings1:

I passed my class 2 yesterday and was going to go straight into my class 1 training. I was looking on the internet today and noticed a local haulage have class 2 jobs going, so I chanced my hand haha. Got a call back within hours offering an interview.

I did mention on my cover letter that I am looking to do my class 1 within a short amount of time, so my first question is if and it’s a big if I was to get the job would use hold off doing my class 1 for a while and get some experience of driving professionally?

First of all congrats on the pass.And for getting an interview so quickly.Does the firm have class 1 trucks.If so might be worth seeing if they will put you through it.After a period on class 2.Might tie you to them for a period of time of course.So normally better to get it yourself.So that if it does’nt work out you can leave.As for the interview.Definately smart casual.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply, yes they have a lot of class 1 trucks (more than the class 2)
I wouldn’t mind paying for it if they moved me onto the class 1 within a certain amount of time.
The company is a 10min walk from my house so would be ideal haha

daftvader:

kopkings1:

First of all congrats on the pass.And for getting an interview so quickly.Does the firm have class 1 trucks.If so might be worth seeing if they will put you through it.After a period on class 2.Might tie you to them for a period of time of course.So normally better to get it yourself.So that if it does’nt work out you can leave.As for the interview.Definately smart casual.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

First off, Congratulations on the pass. (It’s a great feeling)
Personally from my experience I’d stay on class 2 for atleast a year, just to get that know how on driving a class 2 lorry as opposed to a car/van. Also gaining experience in the meanwhile.
If your company can put you through your class 1 like they did with me, then that’s a bonus because otherwise you’ll have to pay for it yourself and it’s not cheap. Good luck anyway.

:smiley: :smiley:

I always wear my steelies and hi vis coat for interviews, I guess it looks like you’re ready to go and you can take a tour of the place without falling foul of the H&S nazis. After my tour of duty on the skips, they ain’t the cleanest, but that didn’t stop Aldi offering me a job yesterday

Thank you all for your reply’s

Hi thanks again for all your messages and replies, can anyone tell me what a starting hourly rate would be for a class 2 driving in the northwest area and class 1 as well please.

Would just like to work out what is acceptable before my interview on Monday. It didn’t advertise and I cannot see anywhere on the internet what this company offer as an hourly rate.

Hard to say really, depends how the job fits with what you want. I wanted 4/4 with reasonable hours and no nights out. I got exactly what I asked for, so was willing to drop 2 quid an hour from my shunting job. I get more hours and ot rate so in the long game it works out better for me. I wouldn’t touch class two for less than 10.50 ph or class one for less than 12. But I live in a thriving area and not everyone is so lucky. Look on the web for your area and work out what you’re willing to take, is the only answer I can give.

jbaz73:
Hard to say really, depends how the job fits with what you want. I wanted 4/4 with reasonable hours and no nights out. I got exactly what I asked for, so was willing to drop 2 quid an hour from my shunting job. I get more hours and ot rate so in the long game it works out better for me. I wouldn’t touch class two for less than 10.50 ph or class one for less than 12. But I live in a thriving area and not everyone is so lucky. Look on the web for your area and work out what you’re willing to take, is the only answer I can give.

Jbaz73 thank you for your reply, would you drop down a bit just to get that first bit of experience?
I will definitely look round to compare price before going for my interview.

ok so went for the interview today, within an hour they had rang me back offering me the job, the job will be a lower hourly rate then i am on in my current job but with the guaranteed 48 hour week the difference wouldn’t be that much.
they did mention that they have helped drivers onto class 1 after been employed for a while.

i did think my starting hourly rate would be a bit higher but it is all experience in my head.

decisions decisions decisions

kopkings1:
ok so went for the interview today, within an hour they had rang me back offering me the job, the job will be a lower hourly rate then i am on in my current job but with the guaranteed 48 hour week the difference wouldn’t be that much.
they did mention that they have helped drivers onto class 1 after been employed for a while.

i did think my starting hourly rate would be a bit higher but it is all experience in my head.

What’s the hourly rate?

Unless you hate what you do you’d be a fool to leave it to work more hours for less money.

sammym:

kopkings1:

What’s the hourly rate?

Unless you hate what you do you’d be a fool to leave it to work more hours for less

money.

The job I am in now is going through tough times at the min and we will be dropping shifts this year just to keep the place open.
Like I said above I am thinking as only using it to gain experience.
Cheers for ur reply

Got the job start next tue. Had the driving assessment on sat and really enjoyed it.

How long should I stick around before going for class 1