Curtainsiders?

I had a good couple of days with the roro’s, but the agency rang me today to offer me something longer term. I had to pop in after work to fill out some paperwork and met the driver I will be with tomorrow night.

I am shamed to admit that I’ve never done curtainsiders before, only boxes. What tips do you guys have? I know that strapping the load is a major bone of contention. The only couple of days that I was on a curtainsider at Swains, the guy I was with didn’t strap anything. It’s surprising how many drivers don’t strap and how many trucks rely on internals and don’t even carry straps. Usually when I start, it is a ghost town, there is no one around to ask for straps. When I start, it’s a case of pick up the truck and go.

So what tips can you give me? I am looking forward to it, but don’t want to be labelled as a troublemaker if the general consensus is use the internals (you would be surprised how many trucks are running about without) I just want to do the job right and not rack up any fines. The cards are stacked against the new drivers anyway because it will take longer and if you count in the time to open the curtains and climb up to do the straps, it will take considerably longer than the experienced driver does.

If there are no straps don’t take it out. It’s part of the working tools. And strap pretty much everything. You are probably paid by the hour. I say pretty much everything as I had a lad try and strap a roll of tape down at a well-known builders merchants. After I stopped laughing I told him I’d carry it in the cab.

I’ve had stuff move and it’s not fun. I’ve had one argument with a women from DHL who said I was wasting time rather than getting her ‘priority load’ moving (this was when it was snowing badly recently - and were metal cages of alloy parts for cars). I told her to drive it herself and I’d sit in the office and fiddle with paperwork. She went away after that. You need to stand up for yourself sometimes.

Just play it by the book and don’t worry about what anyone else thinks.

Thanks mate, I think I’m guilty of overthinking things

Sorry mate but it’s your license and you’re the professional driver.
Like robroy and others said on here, they strap everything nowadays. It’s not worth it, taking a trailer out and the load hangs or breaks through the curtains.

IMHO your not trouble just because you want to do the job properly.

That’s why I try to work on boxes or frigdes when I worked on agency. Because a few of the companies who use agencies, do it because it’s easier to get rid of a driver who wants to do things by the book.
Also a few agency drivers will just believe what a customer tells them…“Nah driver, that doesn’t need strapping. Just carry on” “No DVSA checks on nights. Get the job done”

I think it’s sometimes a thin line to keep both sides happy
Legal vs. Customer
Depending on the outfit you work for.

If you not happy who they handle things ask the agency to not send you there.

Like I said, don’t risk your license and do it right.

But you make that choice.

Edit:
Just read about your time issue.

Sorry but if done properly than it takes longer. Simple.

Of course more expierienced guys do it faster. Any good haulage outfit understands if you take longer as a newbie.

If they want it “schnell,schnell” than it will result in some kind of incident at some point.

Focus on the job,Take your time and do it in a safe way. You’re the professional.

Internals for pallets that weigh below 400 kgs each pallet.
Over 400 kgs then use ratchet straps.
Trailers with load bearing curtains xl1264 marking, do not need strapping but the load must be a positive fit of no less than 80 cms.

If on multiple drop with a load bearing trailer, you need to strap as you go.

In general, the load needs securing from side, frontwards and backwards movement.
Dvsa see a curtain sider as a flat bed with weather protection.

Thanks, I really would prefer a flatbed to a curtainsider. Then there’s no argument.

I wonder how many times a driver has pulled the curtains closed and thought thatl be ok ,it wont move, and a few miles down the road they are looking at a great big bulge in the curtains,or worst still ending up blocking a roundabout with a shed load. Strap It.!!! :smiley:

While working as a shunter at my old place, I think I counted once, in 6 months that a driver properly strapped a load, maybe 6 times they cross strapped at the back, but didn’t bother with the rest of the load. Vast majority just didn’t bother at all. Culina and pawsons are terrible!

It makes me wonder just how many actual loads are driving round unfettered? Is it purely driver negligence and laziness? Or has this decision come about from pressure from the management? If vosa saw what I’ve seen, they would have an ■■■■■■! :grimacing: