How long did you wait before going for class 1

Interested on how long you waited between doing your class 2 and then going for class 1

I passed my class 2 in November and been doing agency work for the last 3 months getting a bit of experience under my belt.

Starting to think about going for my class 1 so i can start work during the summer, is this too early or should i just go for it?

If you have the cash to do it then get it done,before you pick up all the bad habits :smiley:

I waited 15 years. Go for it when you feel like it and money allows. I really don’t think that you fall into bad habits, as soon as you get behind the wheel, you are back in training mode, rusty perhaps, but you soon pick it up. I do regret leaving it so long.

16 years :open_mouth: and still think why didn’t I do it earlier

Im seriously considering doing it, paid around 1500 for my class 2 licence and the only real work i can find is £9 an hr agency work.

Lots more class 1 jobs advertised its making me want to just take the plunge and do it. :confused:

Its definately worth the long term
investment when you consider the pay difference between class 1 and 2.

Op, it would help if we knew what area you are in. 9 an hour seems low, but if you are in a black spot then it would probably be ok.

The difference between class 1 and 2 is not that much. A lot of it comes from agencies inflating wages by advertising the ltd rates. When you actually enquire about the job, the paye rate magically drops 2 quid an hour.

7 years, and wishing Id moved up to class 1 sooner

I passed class 2 in October and passed class 1 in January. I’d have done it much sooner but working in retail I wouldn’t have got the time off to do it. I picked up agency work in between to build up experience getting out, no matter what I went in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find it curious that after the HGV classes changed to LGV in 1991 that we are still using the out of date terminology 27 years later :exclamation:

ROG:
I find it curious that after the HGV classes changed to LGV in 1991 that we are still using the out of date terminology 27 years later :exclamation:

Well I was only born in 82 and say class 1 so think its just an “old school” industry thing

ROG:

Well I have never taken an LGV test - I passed a HGV test, so to me it’s class 1 still - being an old git and all that

5 weeks after passing my class 2

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

didn’t bother with HGV Class 2 and 3…straight through my Class 1 :smiley: (late 1979)

5 yr gap between (purely to satisfy ROG LGV C and LGV C+E) Class 2 and Class 1 to nearly everyone else on the forum :stuck_out_tongue:

Purely financial reasons for me as I paid for both myself (glad I passed the buggers first time I can tell you)

carryfast-yeti:
didn’t bother with HGV Class 2 and 3…straight through my Class 1 :smiley: (late 1979)

And me but we were lucky in those days you could do it that way.

adammur:
Interested on how long you waited between doing your class 2 and then going for class 1

I passed my class 2 in November and been doing agency work for the last 3 months getting a bit of experience under my belt.

Starting to think about going for my class 1 so i can start work during the summer, is this too early or should i just go for it?

Driverless trucks are a very real threat in the near future. I think that trunking jobs will be the first casualty with other types of work following soon. If you are going to do class 1, then now would be the time to do it

jbaz73:
Driverless trucks are a very real threat in the near future. I think that trunking jobs will be the first casualty with other types of work following soon. If you are going to do class 1, then now would be the time to do it

:laughing:

jbaz73:

Do you actually believe that or have I missed the sarcasm?

They won’t work in towns and cities as they will be bullied by cars/vans.

The space needed to let them “platoon” on motorways isn’t practical in this country either.

Maybe in USA/Australia trunking across country they are viable but it will be a lot of years before that happens

kcrussell25:

jbaz73:

Do you actually believe that or have I missed the sarcasm?

They won’t work in towns and cities as they will be bullied by cars/vans.

The space needed to let them “platoon” on motorways isn’t practical in this country either.

Maybe in USA/Australia trunking across country they are viable but it will be a lot of years before that happens

Lol, sarcasm didn’t come off the way I meant it to. In all seriousness I would say do it sooner rather than later