Private hire

My friend is wanting to hire a 18t ridged to collect some stock for his shop. He doesn’t have the license but I do. I won’t be getting paid for the work, just doing him a favour.
So he’s asked me if I could drive it for him.
So we’re do I stand on my tacho card. Do I have to use it?
Thank you.

He needs to have an operators licence to hire an 18t biggest he can hire without is 7.5t…

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

jamieh1990:
My friend is wanting to hire a 18t ridged to collect some stock for his shop. He doesn’t have the license but I do. I won’t be getting paid for the work, just doing him a favour.
So he’s asked me if I could drive it for him.
So we’re do I stand on my tacho card. Do I have to use it?
Thank you.

Private LGV is for max 7.5 tonners - there is no exception for LGVs over 7.5 so yes a tacho record will be required

pbc453:
He needs to have an operators licence to hire an 18t biggest he can hire without is 7.5t…

Well that’s ended that one for him. Thank you [emoji106]

He hasn’t got a O/L so what’s the biggest vehicle he could hire?
Thank you.

7.5t

The largest vehicle he can hire and remain legal in all respects is 3.5 tonnes. Above that weight he will need an operator’s licence, albeit restricted as they are his own goods.

Encourage him to use a haulier. This keeps bona fide drivers in work amongst other issues.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Moat hire companies won’t hire anything larger than a 3.5ton van to a private individual these days.

I managed to get a 7.5 Ton truck to move house about 11 years ago from Ryder but the company I worked for hired them regularly at the time. They did it for me as a favour.

I wasn’t driving g trucks back then for a living and we were on analog tachos still back then.

So I’ve spoken to my friend. He has spoken to the hire company and they are willing to let him hire a 18ton drop side vehicle. They want to see my drivers licence, dcqc and tacho card.
Now I’ve told him to ask about the O/L when he gets home tonight.
The last thing I want to be doing is driving the vehicle and me get punished for it. Is that possible? Points fines etc on me?

if your doing it on your day off,just do a manual entry and bin it when your home…you must keep those cards perfect…

jamieh1990:
So I’ve spoken to my friend. He has spoken to the hire company and they are willing to let him hire a 18ton drop side vehicle. They want to see my drivers licence, dcqc and tacho card.
The last thing I want to be doing is driving the vehicle and me get punished for it. Is that possible? Points fines etc on me?

As someone who was pulled by the DVSA driving for a company without an operators license I can confirm there is no comeback on the driver if you are tugged. You could probably blag the DVSA if it were a hire truck - but I wouldn’t try and play those games.

I’m not sure who would be responsible. Probably the person hiring the truck… And if they want to see all your cards be careful that they don’t put you down on the paperwork.

I’ve picked up hire trucks for genuine companies - and they have never asked to see all my cards. So this all sounds a bit dodgy. If it were me I’d avoid it. Sounds like hassle to me.

dieseldog999:
if your doing it on your day off,just do a manual entry and bin it when your home…you must keep those cards perfect…

Manual entry as in not putting my card in? I only work 4 days in my job anyway so it won’t make me illegal when I return back to work.

sammym:

jamieh1990:

As someone who was pulled by the DVSA driving for a company without an operators license I can confirm there is no comeback on the driver if you are tugged. You could probably blag the DVSA if it were a hire truck - but I wouldn’t try and play those games.

I’m not sure who would be responsible. Probably the person hiring the truck… And if they want to see all your cards be careful that they don’t put you down on the paperwork.

I’ve picked up hire trucks for genuine companies - and they have never asked to see all my cards. So this all sounds a bit dodgy. If it were me I’d avoid it. Sounds like hassle to me.

I think they just want to see my cards to prove whoever is driving it has the relevant licence. I’m not sure but I can only ask if and when it was to go ahead. Aslong as my licence isn’t tarnished for me doing someone a favour I’m more than happy to do it.

jamieh1990:

dieseldog999:

Manual entry as in not putting my card in? I only work 4 days in my job anyway so it won’t make me illegal when I return back to work.

happy days for you then.
i did similar a wee while ago and just did a manual for the last days shift,which left the remainder free for the rental.

jamieh1990:

sammym:

jamieh1990:

I think they just want to see my cards to prove whoever is driving it has the relevant licence. I’m not sure but I can only ask if and when it was to go ahead. Aslong as my licence isn’t tarnished for me doing someone a favour I’m more than happy to do it.

I was stopped driving a vehicle with a few defects. And the company didn’t have an o licence. And none of it came back on me. The company were reported for not having an o licence. But the owner didn’t seem overly bothered so I can’t imagine the fine is too much.

But as a driver absolutely no come back on you or your licence. DVSA let me carry on to make the delivery. And said if I were stopped again that the company could be reported twice for the same offence. I did ask if there was anyway it could hurt me and was told no. If there was any chance of my being in trouble I’d have left the vehicle there and got a taxi back.

Let’s be honest the chances of being stopped are ridiculously low. So I would crack on if I were you.

Yeah well I thought the same about being stopped. It’s 160 mile round trip from picking it up from the company to doing the job and back to place.

jamieh1990:

According to the DVSA enforcement sanctions policy booklet it is an offence to run a HGV vehicle without an operators licence but for a single offence the penalty is nothing more than an advisory letter :open_mouth:

I would assume that penalty (if you can call it that) would be against the person operating the vehicle i.e. the hirer, so as long as your mate hires the vehicle in his name rather than you hiring the vehicle I don’t see a big problem, technically it is illegal to transport goods for hire or reward without an operators licence but there is no comeback on the driver, it’s the operator who will be prosecuted if it’s done on a regular basis or if the DVSA believe the operator knows it’s illegal.

On the other hand, if your mate wants to hire the vehicle in your name you have to decide whether or not you’re willing to risk being on the DVSA bad boy database.

tachograph:

jamieh1990:

According to the DVSA enforcement sanctions policy booklet it is an offence to run a HGV vehicle without an operators licence but for a single offence the penalty is nothing more than an advisory letter :open_mouth:

I would assume that penalty (if you can call it that) would be against the person operating the vehicle i.e. the hirer, so as long as your mate hires the vehicle in his name rather than you hiring the vehicle I don’t see a big problem, technically it is illegal to transport goods for hire or reward without an operators licence but there is no comeback on the driver, it’s the operator who will be prosecuted if it’s done on a regular basis or if the DVSA believe the operator knows it’s illegal.

On the other hand, if your mate wants to hire the vehicle in your name you have to decide whether or not you’re willing to risk being on the DVSA bad boy database.

Bad boy database haha I’ll keep off that one. He’s said he’s going to hire it pay relevant fees etc. I’m just a driver and I told him that from the off.
Can I use the ‘out of scope’ Setting on the tacho whilst I do the driving? Than do a manual entry as I’m going?

jamieh1990:
Can I use the ‘out of scope’ Setting on the tacho whilst I do the driving? Than do a manual entry as I’m going?

Not legally no.

You will be driving in-scope of EU regulations so legally you’re required to use your driver card, putting the tachograph on out of scope won’t make any difference to that, in fact it could look like you’re deliberately trying to avoid complying with the regulations.

When in scope of EU regulations the only time you can drive a vehicle that is fitted with a digital tachograph without using a driver card is if your card is lost/stolen or faulty, or in certain defined circumstances when the tachograph is faulty, I suppose some people would say you could lose your driver card for a day or two then find it before going back to your usual job but that’s up-to you to decide :wink:.

By the way, when driving without a card because it’s lost/stolen or faulty you should do a printout at the start of the shift and another printout at the end of the shift, both printouts should have your name on them and be signed.

tachograph:

jamieh1990:

Not legally no.

You will be driving in-scope of EU regulations so legally you’re required to use your driver card, putting the tachograph on out of scope won’t make any difference to that, in fact it could look like you’re deliberately trying to avoid complying with the regulations.

When in scope of EU regulations the only time you can drive a vehicle that is fitted with a digital tachograph without using a driver card is if your card is lost/stolen or faulty, or in certain defined circumstances when the tachograph is faulty, I suppose some people would say you could lose your driver card for a day or two then find it before going back to your usual job but that’s up-to you to decide :wink:.

By the way, when driving without a card because it’s lost/stolen or faulty you should do a printout at the start of the shift and another printout at the end of the shift, both printouts should have your name on them and be signed.

I’ll just put it in. I only work 4 days anyway and I’ll speak to the boss at work so when I download my card at the end of my week he will know why and what else I’ve been driving.
I did a Cpc course other week and it was on about lost and stolen cards and I would have to ring up and get a code from Dvsa to say it’s been reported and I can still drive so I’m guessing I would get asked for the code.
All this for a few bales of hay!
Thanks for everyones input to this thread =)