Beware Dodgy Agencies!

Couldn’t think of a more appropriate title.
Here’s the story:
After months of searching for a job, and after a few unsuccessful interviews, I thought I’d finally found a job! The guy at the agency assured me that, despite being a newbie without any experience, this was it!
Got up at 4am for a 5am start, drove to the depot, got in to the office, only to be told that they were looking for EXPERIENCED drivers! (Insurance purposes, you see?).
They were understandably ■■■■■■■■■■■ of course, cos they were now down a driver. They phoned the agency and the “agent” lied, saying I’d told him I HAD experience! This was despite what I’d told him AND what I’d put on the form (NO experience - only passed my Cat C 2 months ago!). Obviously he thought he’d get away with it and would have another easy commission. Drove home ■■■■■■■■■■ and with my tail between my legs.
Lessons learned: DON’T get your hopes up until you’re actually behind the wheel, DON’T be so quick to believe that all agencies are there to help - it’s a business like anything else and they want to get their commissions, and when you get the details of the company from your agency, phone 'em first to clarify!
Well, that’s life I guess. :frowning:

That’s a shame mate, a REAL shame. :frowning:

Unfortunately, this kind of thing does happen from time to time.

Please don’t be tempted to name and shame publicly because they’re not exactly going to come on here to explain that it was all a ‘misunderstanding’ are they?

:bulb: PMs are the way to go for those who need to know. :wink:

Make sure that next time you get it in writing that you will be paid for the day if you turn up on time at the clients premises

That way if you get sent away you will get paid and the agency will take the financial hit

If the agency will not give you that in writing do not work for them

That’s rubbish.

I’m a new agency driver. Can I ask how they knew you had never worked before? If they scanned your card then fair enough. But if you walked into the transport office and said “im so new this is my first ever job please show me how to use my tacho card” I think you need to get some street smarts.

On my first job I tried to blag it and seem none bothered in the office. That worked up to the when I crashed the week old 1000km truck reversing into a skip and pulling it into another wagon smashing the window and door on my first ever drop!

There are people to let know you are green and new. Forkilift dricers, other drivers even guys loading you. Transport are not in the list of people who will help you so dint tell them nothing.

This may sound harsh - but agency drivers are brought in to do a job. If you need training or help the companies won’t be interested. Look at my posting history to see how Badly I’ve struggled. But dont ever talk yourself out of a days work.

sammym:
That’s rubbish.

I’m a new agency driver. Can I ask how they knew you had never worked before? If they scanned your card then fair enough. But if you walked into the transport office and said “im so new this is my first ever job please show me how to use my tacho card” I think you need to get some street smarts.

On my first job I tried to blag it and seem none bothered in the office. That worked up to the when I crashed the week old 1000km truck reversing into a skip and pulling it into another wagon smashing the window and door on my first ever drop!

There are people to let know you are green and new. Forkilift dricers, other drivers even guys loading you. Transport are not in the list of people who will help you so dint tell them nothing.

This may sound harsh - but agency drivers are brought in to do a job. If you need training or help the companies won’t be interested. Look at my posting history to see how Badly I’ve struggled. But dont ever talk yourself out of a days work.

Maybe the pass date/start date on the licence gave it away that he hadnt been driving LGVs for the required period? EDIT And if it is a company that does a download of the Drivers card to ensure the agency driver has available hours to work for them before the shift, he`ll be caught out in a lie before he even starts.

Franglais:

sammym:
That’s rubbish.

Maybe the pass date/start date on the licence gave it away that he hadnt been driving LGVs for the required period? EDIT And if it is a company that does a download of the Drivers card to ensure the agency driver has available hours to work for them before the shift, he`ll be caught out in a lie before he even starts.

I agree. But it’s very very rare for either you card to be scanned before a shift, or for them to ask to see your licence. The agencies job is to check the license etc.

I’ll have to wait to see what the OP says - and it’s rubbish for him either way. But my guess is he could have said something and I’m trying to give him advice to stop it happening in the future.

sammym:

Franglais:

sammym:
That’s rubbish.

I agree. But it’s very very rare for either you card to be scanned before a shift, or for them to ask to see your licence. The agencies job is to check the license etc.

I’ll have to wait to see what the OP says - and it’s rubbish for him either way. But my guess is he could have said something and I’m trying to give him advice to stop it happening in the future.

Who provides the insurance?
Who checks the driver is covered by the insurance?
Who carries the can if the driver tells lies about his experience and so tries to gain insurance cover through a false statement?

Franglais:
EDIT And if it is a company that does a download of the Drivers card to ensure the agency driver has available hours to work for them before the shift, hell be caught out in a lie before he even starts.

UK domestic regs :bulb: = nowt on card

sammym:

What complete and utter nonsense, it’s the companies responsibility to ensure that their drivers are licenced and legal to drive, when I was on agency most of the companies I drove for downloaded driver cards at the start of the shift and many would also check driving licenses.

I’m not sure whether or not you actually drive HGVs but if you do you’re hardly in a good position to give anyone advise, in the few weeks you claim to have been driving HGVs you’ve hardly covered yourself in glory have you :unamused:

ROG:

Franglais:
EDIT And if it is a company that does a download of the Drivers card to ensure the agency driver has available hours to work for them before the shift, hell be caught out in a lie before he even starts.

UK domestic regs :bulb: = nowt on card

True. Drivers card could be virginal with even an experienced driver.
However with a pass date only two months ago the date on the licence should be a giveaway shouldn`t it?

Thanks for all your replies, guys. They’ve ALL been helpful, and I guess that’s why I posted - I do need advice on this!
When I got into the office they asked me if I’d brought my licences - I said yes, and started to pull 'em out of me wallet. They then asked me if I’d driven a 7.5 tonne lorry before. In a split second I had the choice of lying or telling the truth. I told the truth. That’s what lost me the job. The point is, I was told by the agency that I didn’t have to have experience as “training would be given”…
Well, I’ve learnt a few valuable lessons from the experience, so I guess that’s something. And I appreciate all of your replies, home truths, and words of advice. If they hadn’t asked me any questions I would’ve kept quiet and gone with the flow, but lying (esp in a situation like that) went right against the grain - also I was caught off guard.
Anyway, thanks for all of your input. I’ll just keep on trying. And, no, I’m not tempted to name or shame anybody. As tough as it is, it’s all a good learning experience! :neutral_face:

Sounds like youre taking a philosophical attitude to your experience. Youll be much more aware of what to look out for next time. As a newbie, the first few jobs are often hard to get, but ALL of us out here were new at some point. Keep at it. Dont take a job that puts your licence at risk. Itll come right in the end.

Most agency bods will lie to you but this one seems particularly stupid, even if he was going to lie to the company about your experience he should have at-least told you that the company was expecting an experienced driver.

Keep going and register with a few agencies, if possible be prepared to take a job at short notice because there’s a good chance that phone call will come when someone lets a company/agency down at the last minute.

As you turned up for work before the job was cancelled I’d ask the agency for 8 hours pay, you may not get it but they may be inclined to put extra effort into getting you work as compensation :wink:

You do not need to name them…They are all liars imo.

I wonder how many have taken an agency to a small claims court to get the 8 hours pay they were promised ?

sammym:

In your limited experience, maybe. But many (or even most) of the big operators routinely download agency drivers’ digicards at both ends of every shift, simply so they can confirm that the driver has enough driving and duty time available to cover the proposed run and that his licence is valid on that day.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

sammym:

In your limited experience, maybe. But many (or even most) of the big operators routinely download agency drivers’ digicards at both ends of every shift, simply so they can confirm that the driver has enough driving and duty time available to cover the proposed run and that his licence is valid on that day.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I totally agree. And I was giving my experience based as a new pass. My last job was working for a sub contractor to dhl. And I did need to downals cards for that. However most new pass agency class 2 work is not that sort of company.

I’m not going to quote taxhograph, but I’m guessing he or she is an experienced class 1 driver working for blue chips. He or she needs to get into the real world of new pass jobs before throwing insults around.

SheldonWhyte:
Thanks for all your replies, guys. They’ve ALL been helpful, and I guess that’s why I posted - I do need advice on this!
When I got into the office they asked me if I’d brought my licences - I said yes, and started to pull 'em out of me wallet. They then asked me if I’d driven a 7.5 tonne lorry before. In a split second I had the choice of lying or telling the truth. I told the truth. That’s what lost me the job. The point is, I was told by the agency that I didn’t have to have experience as “training would be given”…
Well, I’ve learnt a few valuable lessons from the experience, so I guess that’s something. And I appreciate all of your replies, home truths, and words of advice. If they hadn’t asked me any questions I would’ve kept quiet and gone with the flow, but lying (esp in a situation like that) went right against the grain - also I was caught off guard.
Anyway, thanks for all of your input. I’ll just keep on trying. And, no, I’m not tempted to name or shame anybody. As tough as it is, it’s all a good learning experience! :neutral_face:

Take the lesson and move on. I learned it all on the job. How to reverse, how to open curtains, how to use pump trolley, how to use taillift. Even how to deal with deliveries and rdcs.

You need to keep plugging. After your first job you do have experience. I’m now 2 months in mainly working for the same clients who I originally blagged. Going forward - accept you won’t be perfect and lie through your teeth. Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

I’d have probably been honest to. It’s in my nature and given the agency knew I’m green I wouldn’t be expecting to need to lie.

Glad I avoided all this agency ■■■■■■■■.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sammym:

SheldonWhyte:

Take the lesson and move on. I learned it all on the job. How to reverse, how to open curtains, how to use pump trolley, how to use taillift. Even how to deal with deliveries and rdcs.

You need to keep plugging. After your first job you do have experience. I’m now 2 months in mainly working for the same clients who I originally blagged. Going forward - accept you won’t be perfect and lie through your teeth. Forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

And I can`t see anyone insulting you anywhere?
I saw someone point out the faults in one of your previous posts though.