Looking for LGV (C, C+E) in Aberdeen/Dundee area

Hi guys and gals,

As the title suggests I am look for someone reputable to do my C and C+E training with.

I was made redundant 2 years ago and as part of a Scottish government initiative I was able to get finding towards training. So far I have done my CPC, medical and theory test and have had maybe 6 lessons in a class C. However the Aberdeen based company that I have been using useless and keep canceling training or I end up turning up to the lorry park in Dyce to find no-one there. So its time to cut loose and find a real training company.

If anyone knows of any reputable company’s I would be very grateful. I am based in Montrose (DD10) so either Dundee or Aberdeen. But I would consider anywhere.

Thanks

Sent from my VIE-AL10 using Tapatalk

Check out the link in my signature below :bulb:

Hi Calcifur,

Try Andy Urquhart at Whytes Training in Newmachar, their contact number is 01651 862211.

I met him when we were both doing the Mod 4 Assessors Course at DVSA Cardington and he knows his stuff. Tell him I said hello.

Good Luck,

Alex McAra

Thanks Alex,

I will have a look into that.

There is someone based at arbroath does class c and c +e training, I will be honest and state that I have never used him, but I did get a price for my c+e which was very good

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc … ymHwGYd7cZ

There is someone based at arbroath does class c and c +e training, I will be honest and state that I have never used him, but I did get a price for my c+e which was very good

The vehicle shown is a 14 year old MAN fitted with an 8 speed gearbox. Perfectly possible that the vehicle has been updated but not the website, but I struggle to understand why anyone would actually choose to use an 8 speed when passing on auto gives you the same entitlement.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The website does not need updated this is the vehicle combination that this person uses.

Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately because the training has already been paid for Skills Development Scotland are determined that I try and resolve the issue with my current training School. So until that happens I am unable to move. Pain in the arse to be honest cuz this company in Abdn are useless. Looks to me like they are going g bust as the MD has apparently changed, and the new guy isnt replying to emails either.

Calcifur:
Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately because the training has already been paid for Skills Development Scotland are determined that I try and resolve the issue with my current training School. So until that happens I am unable to move. Pain in the arse to be honest cuz this company in Abdn are useless.

Happens too often - Govt funded training seems to go to the cheapest and often below standard schools :exclamation:

Unfortunately in this case it was my fault. I was allowed to pick the training I wanted and they just pay for it. I failed to do enough checking before committing to a provider. I actually can’t fault Skills Development Scotland, so far they have been extremely helpful.

Im guessing you went with the same company I did for training.

Paid at the end of January and lost all the money by Feburary. Company shut shop and big To Let signs up at their Aberdeen premises.
I got the medical out of them and nothing else.
Going through Trading standards to see if anything can be done about getting money back, as I paid for it myself, and the money was supposed to help me retrain, it is a sore loss.

Im not sure what to do now, as I cant really afford to go and pay someone else another £2K+ and Trading Standards say there is not much hope to get my money back.

Hi,

Yeah I guess its the same place… The RHA (Road Haulage Association) has taken over the case for skills development Scotland. They are going to be in Aberdeen on the 12th of April. Not sure if they can help if you have paid for the training yourself but you could always try contacting them to see if they can point you in the right direction.

Hope you get it sorted.

I gather there have been a lot of people in the Aberdeen area affected my this. Hopefully someone can bring them to account and get folks money back.

Peter Smythe:

The vehicle shown is a 14 year old MAN fitted with an 8 speed gearbox. Perfectly possible that the vehicle has been updated but not the website, but I struggle to understand why anyone would actually choose to use an 8 speed when passing on auto gives you the same entitlement.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You fail to mention it’s only a 12 Ton truck which is not intimidating for a trainee. I still run one of these and the gears are easily learnt and at least it moves when you want it to, unlike some modern autos.

Swings and roundabouts Peter

Paul.

Calcifur:
Hi guys and gals,

As the title suggests I am look for someone reputable to do my C and C+E training with.

I was made redundant 2 years ago and as part of a Scottish government initiative I was able to get finding towards training. So far I have done my CPC, medical and theory test and have had maybe 6 lessons in a class C. However the Aberdeen based company that I have been using useless and keep canceling training or I end up turning up to the lorry park in Dyce to find no-one there. So its time to cut loose and find a real training company.

If anyone knows of any reputable company’s I would be very grateful. I am based in Montrose (DD10) so either Dundee or Aberdeen. But I would consider anywhere.

Thanks

Sorry to hear you have been taken the mickey from these guys. Is it the training company up at the Airpark?? Yellow ridge? White renault artic?

I used Whytes at newmachar for my class 2. Gibby was my instructor and a good one too. I then used Aberdeen Trainings Services (Brian Cassie) for my class 1. Same again with Brian he is a very good instructor and shows you everything you need to pass the test.

I hope this is of use if you haven’t managed to get another training provider.

Yeah that’s the ones. Sounds like they have went bust. Road Haulage Association has taken n over training so will see how that pans out.

ALEX MCARA:
The website does not need updated this is the vehicle combination that this person uses.

As Alex pointed out, that is my current vehicle and it is a perfectly serviceable machine, never breaking down in the whole time I have owned it.

Yes, it is a 14 year old, 12 ton, 8 speed with a dual brake for safety. It also comes with a matching drawbar trailer. A far better, comfier drive than some vehicles I have driven. It is leading a fairly pampered life right now, what with getting lots of new stuff fitted and will be getting a full cab and chassis respray in the near future.

On the gear box side, I have met many new drivers that passed in an auto and then got a job driving a 3/3 with half gears and just could not drive efficiently. They never knew what gear was the best to move off in, couldn’t change down to a correct gear going up hill or they didn’t know what the half gears were for, etc. On a similar note, I have met many that do not know how best to utilise an auto box. Swings and roundabouts.

We are a small family owned company (me and the mother) doing cars, car and trailer and HGV. As well as all the training, I was runner up in the UK finals of Scanias Young European Truck Driver comp in 2014/15.

Please skip this bit Alex :slight_smile: I will be doing my pcv soon, so will be able to offer that in the middle of next year.

Ps, my website does need updating but only because we have a different car and trailer.

Pps this just happens to be the first time on hear for a long, long time, hence a reply.

Edit
If you read this and haven’t already completed your training, I am happy to offer a free assessment and more than happy to give you some hints, tips etc.

Also, if its the company I think it is, yes, they went bust.

ulearnschoolofmotoring.co.uk/services/ct/
Your B+E page has some incorrect info on it

The 85% towing ADVICE is for caravans only

There is no law or rule which states that the plated MAM of a trailer cannot be more than the towing capacity of the vehicle

Legal B licence towing set up -

Vehicle
GVW 2000
GTW 3200
Max towing capacity 1200

Trailer
MAM 1500
Empty 500

Max load for trailer 700

ROG:
http://www.ulearnschoolofmotoring.co.uk/services/ct/
Your B+E page has some incorrect info on it

The 85% towing ADVICE is for caravans only

There is no law or rule which states that the plated MAM of a trailer cannot be more than the towing capacity of the vehicle

Legal B licence towing set up -

Vehicle
GVW 2000
GTW 3200
Max towing capacity 1200

Trailer
MAM 1500
Empty 500

Max load for trailer 700

Oh, I’ll be honest in saying I just copied and pasted from someone else. I can’t remember who but I will go have a look and fix it.

bobdebouwer:
Oh, I’ll be honest in saying I just copied and pasted from someone else. I can’t remember who but I will go have a look and fix it.

PM sent

Turns out they didn’t go bust, just that the owner did a runner!! . Or at least that is the story going around the lorry drivers from Aberdeen. Sounds like there are lot of folks left out of pocket now because of this.