Rights as employee in bad weather

Hi all,

Just a quick question as a newbie driver – this is my first winter driving and as they predict heavy snow for parts of the country can I say I’m not confident to go out in this weather?

Thanks in advance

Either phone in sick this week or go and experience it if you dont drive in the bad weather you will always worry about it.Speak to someone see what they say and tell them your worried due to yourself not feeling confident happy trucking.

mmeessii:
Hi all,

Just a quick question as a newbie driver – this is my first winter driving and as they predict heavy snow for parts of the country can I say I’m not confident to go out in this weather?

Thanks in advance

Quite frankly, grow some balls mate. Be confident of your ability to be level headed, careful and assess conditions on the go.

Just remember that braking distances are hugely increased. Anticipate an accident more than you normally would. Dont let Transport dictate whether you can or cannot get to a delivery point. YOU are in control.

Take provisions, a travel kettle, sleeping bag, spare clothes and get your arse on the road. Take your time, drive steady. Dont rush or panic. Remember your break times for driving and WTD; take a 15 and a 30 to keep the shift moving instead of a block 45 if you are within the 6 hour WTD. Dont drive up to 4hr 30, pull over at 4 hour; Anticipate bad weather and rammed services.

It may sound odd, but I feel it is easier to drive a truck in snow than a car.

As Colin says if you Never drive in it, you’ll Never learn how to drive in it.
Use common sense and judgement. You can legitimately say that you think conditions are too bad to safely drive. As a professional driver that is your right. As a newbie if everyone else says it’s only a few flakes and don’t fret: listen to them, but the final choice is yours.
Stay home because the forecast is iffy? Not me.
Drive a mountain pass with 6 foot drifts? Not me.
Your judgement may be different than an older driver’s but it’s still Your licence.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

As the others have said until you try it you will never learn.

This is also my first winter. Took it slow. Bigger gaps, no cruise or exhaust brake. You will be fine when you get going.

Also make sure you take night out kit in case you get caught in an accident. Also that the night heater works. If it doesn’t plenty of fuel for the engine

mmeessii:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Yes! It’s perfectly ‘reasonable’ for you to refuse to drive in ANY circumstances your not confident with. Any reasonable employer would agree.

I am aware of one instance involving 10 experienced drivers who turned into work one winter, out of around 120 employees. Six out of the 10 drivers were involved in accidents, which resulted in all 6 of them being dismissed.

I remember my first winter tramping. No one makes the decisions for you. Well, not in those days, perhaps some “logistics” firms micromanage these days. It was left to judgement. If your experience pot is small just give it a go and take it easy. If it gets so your slipping and feel the vehicle is light, go a lot slower. If it gets really bad park up.

Plenty of stopping distance, and do all your slowing down before you turn a corner. If you get stuck in snow don’t forget the diff locks. When you go to stop on lay-bys etc, always think about getting going again, so avoid stopping on hills etc and consider the surface condition.

I was on the M11 in 2003 when the snow was so bad the police parked everyone up and the Army came along dropping food parcels :laughing: (its true I’m not kidding, in the UK?!). Lorries all around were jack knifing at walking pace on solid white ice. It was slow speed carnage. I’d already given up and tried to find the hard shoulder. The Police came along in a 4x4 and started directing everything. I learned a lot that winter :laughing:

You won’t learn without trying it really. Just be careful and do a brief revision of winter driving techniques they probably had in the learning material for the lgv course.