Rights as employee in bad weather

I remember my first winter tramping. No one makes the decisions for you. Well, not in those days, perhaps some “logistics” firms micromanage these days. It was left to judgement. If your experience pot is small just give it a go and take it easy. If it gets so your slipping and feel the vehicle is light, go a lot slower. If it gets really bad park up.

Plenty of stopping distance, and do all your slowing down before you turn a corner. If you get stuck in snow don’t forget the diff locks. When you go to stop on lay-bys etc, always think about getting going again, so avoid stopping on hills etc and consider the surface condition.

I was on the M11 in 2003 when the snow was so bad the police parked everyone up and the Army came along dropping food parcels :laughing: (its true I’m not kidding, in the UK?!). Lorries all around were jack knifing at walking pace on solid white ice. It was slow speed carnage. I’d already given up and tried to find the hard shoulder. The Police came along in a 4x4 and started directing everything. I learned a lot that winter :laughing:

You won’t learn without trying it really. Just be careful and do a brief revision of winter driving techniques they probably had in the learning material for the lgv course.