DTP with a company or train privately?

Hi,

I am thinking of a change of career and am wondering what people think of trying to get on a Driver Training Program with a company versus doing it privately with Peter Smythe?
It does sound tempting to go with Peter Smythe but I am worried about not getting a job after passing the test. Where as a few companies in my area (East Anglia) say on their websites that they have driver training programs with a virtually guaranteed job afterwards. I haven’t contacted anyone yet.

TIA and any comments are appreciated

I’d be very cautious of anyone who said there was a guaranteed job at the end of any training. I’d take that with a massive pinch of salt, could be wrong but I was born a cynical ■■■■■■■■

sent using smoke signals

PDubyah:
Hi,

I am thinking of a change of career and am wondering what people think of trying to get on a Driver Training Program with a company versus doing it privately with Peter Smythe?
It does sound tempting to go with Peter Smythe but I am worried about not getting a job after passing the test. Where as a few companies in my area (East Anglia) say on their websites that they have driver training programs with a virtually guaranteed job afterwards. I haven’t contacted anyone yet.

TIA and any comments are appreciated

That is the bit I would be concerned about

Get a guaranteed job in writing before paying for training along with the hours and pay is ok but I bet nobody will give you that :exclamation:

It’s obvious what my answer is!! But, regardless of my vested interests, I would always go private and keep my independence.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Your probably guaranteed to get an interview…much like I believe is the set up is at stobarts training school. from my limited experience of companies is that they like to train in house and recoup there cost.

As I’m doing my class 1 with Peter this week I am slightly biased though.

Below is a quote from one of the job listings, it does sound a bit too good to be true but I guess they won’t take you in the first place if they don’t think you’ll cut it. I’m guessing they pay you peanuts for 6 months and if you don’t make the grade after 6 months then they let you go or something like that.

“You will have to sign up to a 6 month training agreement, but you will have a paid position on the day you pass your test and the opportunity to work locally and nationally delivering the goods to industry.”

Not to mention, they’ll give you the crap the other drivers don’t want

jbaz73:
Not to mention, they’ll give you the crap the other drivers don’t want

Yeah, I’m kind of expecting that wherever I go though.

It’s hard to say, while company a will dump crap on the newbie, company b will give you the good runs to ease you in gently.

PDubyah:
Below is a quote from one of the job listings, it does sound a bit too good to be true but I guess they won’t take you in the first place if they don’t think you’ll cut it. I’m guessing they pay you peanuts for 6 months and if you don’t make the grade after 6 months then they let you go or something like that.

“You will have to sign up to a 6 month training agreement, but you will have a paid position on the day you pass your test and the opportunity to work locally and nationally delivering the goods to industry.”

If during that 6 month period you quit, how much would you have to pay? How much of your wages would they withhold to cover your training?
It could be a good deal, but always look at all possible outcomes.
You’ve said one of the old rules “if it sounds too good…”
Remember the other one too
“A verbal agreement isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on”.
A virtual promise isn’t a promise.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk