Ok, so what would you do?

Hi all, I won’t name names in this, I have been to the oddest interview of my life. I’ve been to a few agencies interviews but this was by far the fastest, 10 mins door to door.

On the plus side: it’s driving a skip lorry, so there’s a new skill they’re willing to train me on. I start on a class 2, with the option to be let loose on a class 1 should I decide so.

The money is a bit low 9.50 ph to start, more for artics, more after 12 weeks.

On the minus side: the dude interviewing me was covered in prison ink (yes, I recognised it) wearing a shirt didn’t hide it, nor did a bad attempt to laser it off. The guy had definitely done time and didn’t hide it. I think he saw it as something we had in common, I only disclose it because it was 20 years ago and I don’t want getting the sack for not disclosing something in my dim and distant past. That definitely did not put me at ease, quite the opposite.

Then there was the parking. The agency was an in-house place, so I got to see the company. The car park was chock, when I asked I was told the drivers are expected to park on the street. It’s all double yellows. Anyone that knows Leicester knows that this is a bad idea. I can’t afford parking tickets.

I can’t decide what I want to do, the jobs not bad, but I don’t want to get mixed up in something that’s going to cause me problems. I may be worrying about nothing, but if there are any problems, is this a person I want to get on the wrong side of.

jbaz73:
Hi all, I won’t name names in this, I have been to the oddest interview of my life. I’ve been to a few agencies interviews but this was by far the fastest, 10 mins door to door.

On the plus side: it’s driving a skip lorry, so there’s a new skill they’re willing to train me on. I start on a class 2, with the option to be let loose on a class 1 should I decide so.

The money is a bit low 9.50 ph to start, more for artics, more after 12 weeks.

On the minus side: the dude interviewing me was covered in prison ink (yes, I recognised it) wearing a shirt didn’t hide it, nor did a bad attempt to laser it off. The guy had definitely done time and didn’t hide it. I think he saw it as something we had in common, I only disclose it because it was 20 years ago and I don’t want getting the sack for not disclosing something in my dim and distant past. That definitely did not put me at ease, quite the opposite.

Then there was the parking. The agency was an in-house place, so I got to see the company. The car park was chock, when I asked I was told the drivers are expected to park on the street. It’s all double yellows. Anyone that knows Leicester knows that this is a bad idea. I can’t afford parking tickets.

I can’t decide what I want to do, the jobs not bad, but I don’t want to get mixed up in something that’s going to cause me problems. I may be worrying about nothing, but if there are any problems, is this a person I want to get on the wrong side of.

I am not going to ask what you did, it was 20 years ago and not my business anyway! I suggest you look into whether it is classed as “spent”. Unless it was really serious it will be now. You then have no need to declare it and it cannot be held against you if it comes out (not that it should being spent).

It sounds very iffy to me with things like the parking as they won’t care as they won’t be paying. By the time you pay a ticket that would probably be a days pay after tax so could get very expensive very quickly. Is there nothing else around there?

Go with your gut feeling. If it don’t smell right move on. Or if you need the work find a way to set yourself up so you don’t come out worse off.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

private skip firms would tend to be similar to scrapyards and such and notorious for scallywags operating them.
your interview has you casting doubts,so run forrest run.
go with your initial opinion and blinker them.jobs are 10 a penny. pick a better one.

dieseldog999:
private skip firms would tend to be similar to scrapyards and such and notorious for scallywags operating them.
your interview has you casting doubts,so run forrest run.
go with your initial opinion and blinker them.jobs are 10 a penny. pick a better one.

^ this. These doubts won’t leave once you work for them. Go to work for a more professional sounding outfit. Gut instinct is useful. You should work for who you feel comfortable with and it doesn’t sound like this place.

Scallywags, lol. Pretty much sums it up. Worst thing was that it’s temp to perm and the company seems to be ok.

The parking is a major problem, the last thing I need is tickets and fines. The guy was dodgy and I don’t need problems with the wages and then having to deal with him in regards to that.

Doing the skips is fine by me, it’s the job I went for, but now they say it’s doing the bins too. I like working by myself, I don’t fancy the bins.

There are a few things that don’t sit well for me… the search continues