Mod 4 CPC Practical Demo

Hi all

Newbie here, passed my Cat C second time around on the 13th Feb. Need to do the Mod 4 for my work but having looked at the costs of training from a few places and their available dates, I’ve decided to save myself £150/£200 and teach myself, plus I can book my own test sooner. I’ve had a bit of a trawl through the forums and found some good links and PDFs.

Just a few questions - obviously I passed my test using an 18t, does it have to be an 18t for the CPC or will a 7.5t do? The 18t I’ll eventually be using for work is VOR at the moment but my boss has a couple 7.5t that aren’t total wrecks.

Also, does the vehicle have to be loaded as it is in the part 3 practical test or can it be used empty/unladen? If I teach myself I’d have no way of loading it or even anything to put on it in the first place.

Apologies if these questions have already been asked!

A rigid box vehicle such as a 4 tonne GVW van will do

gov.uk/guidance/rules-for-l … ving-tests

Rules for medium-sized lorries: categories C1 and C1+E
A category C1 vehicle is a medium-sized lorry:

with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of at least 4 tonnes
at least 5 metres long
with a closed box cargo compartment at least as wide and as high as the cab
MAM is the maximum weight of the vehicle including the maximum load that can be carried safely while used on the road. This is also known as ‘gross vehicle weight’.

7.5 tonnes or below isn’t loaded for test. A vehicle presented for Mod 4 doesn’t need extra mirrors or L plates. You must be aware of the correct use of ratchet strap (you will need to build it up and strip it), chain tensioner and load-lock bar. You wont be expected to spend time working it out on test.

I wouldn’t recommend your course of action but still wish you all the best with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

There are ratchet straps and ropes I can practise with at the yard, it would just be the chains and tensioner bar I’d need to watch a few vids on YouTube for.

Would I be able to take a curtainsider then? I’m assuming as long as it’s not flatbed I’d be able to use it.

And apologies if I’m being thick - even though my part 3 was with an 18t (cat c), I’d be able to take my part 4 with an unloaded 7.5t (cat c1)? I’ve never actually driven a 7.5t, I jumped straight into class 2.

Many thanks

Rielly

You need a panel van, box or curtainsided vehicle. MAM must be at least 4 tonnes. So all good. Still don’t recommend it but good luck.

videos and Qs for the mod 4 test are included within the link in my signature below

It doesn’t matter that you passed in 18t. A vehicle that I have described will be fine.

As an alternative, why not find a trainer with an in house examiner. eg we could often conduct a test virtually on demand as we have two examiners on staff. So no time wasted there.

Just be aware that this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121468 is out of date. I don’t know if the updated info is on t’internet. I expect so, but don’t know where.

Peter Smythe:
Just be aware that this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121468 is out of date. I don’t know if the updated info is on t’internet. I expect so, but don’t know where.

That is showing the 2017 video so has it been changed since then :question:

Peter. You are wrong. The link to the video that Roger put up is the correct Q and A. Why would you say it is not? I did a video in 2017 to reflect the new questions.

youtube.com/watch?v=xoWh1tY-Pl4

Don’t be so mean Peter. I know this is your website but come on…share the love.

hgvlgvtraining:
Peter. You are wrong. The link to the video that Roger put up is the correct Q and A. Why would you say it is not? I did a video in 2017 to reflect the new questions.

youtube.com/watch?v=xoWh1tY-Pl4

I know - great help especially as you replaced the old one and not simply made a new post so that saves any confusion - thanks :smiley:

I simply looked at the date and made the incorrect assumption that it was out of date. It is a massive help for it to be updated but it would be even better if it was clear that it was the updated version.

Love shared!

Very kind of you to share the love Peter.

But yet again, why the cheeky dig at the and of your post saying I need to make people aware it is the new Q and A.

Peter. The video intro tells people that this is the Q and A for the NEW Mod 4. It also states on YouTube, in the Course Title “This video has been updated to reflect the NEW Module 4 Driver CPC examination”.
I have also linked this new video to the old Mod 4 video.

Not sure what else I can possibly do to tell people that this is the new Q and A. But, as always I am open to suggestion.

No cheeky dig intended. Why so confrontational? I simply looked at the date of posting and, as that was prior to 2017 made a reasonable assumption that the content would be pre- 2017.

Sharing even more love, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Passed 95% :smiley:

congratulations. I have mine next week.