Cat C1E - please clarify

I got my car licence in Nov 1985 and cat C in May 2015.

Looking at the details I am a little confused why C1 has been entered again for May 2015 with a restriction 107 which in effect means that my entitlement has been restricted from 12T to 8.25T. Where does the 8.25T come from - I can only deduce that it is 7.5T + trailer up to 750 kg = 8250kg.

This would appear to be an error (I perceive) - the entry was made by DVLA assuming I was a post 97 licence holder without BE and hence the restriction. Or as I am now cat C with CPC for HIRE & REWARD I can only tow with a vehicle + trailer combination of 8250kg BUT for private use say I could hire a 7.5T and tow a trailer up to 4500kg (total 12000kg). So as a professional driver cat C driver I am penalised on the entitlement I had for private use and C1 is now only valid until 2021.

photos.app.goo.gl/e9oIIBOjVEXpxL2N2
photos.app.goo.gl/G2uYl5pZKJBvtt202
photos.app.goo.gl/DupmLR3auIvFvUx13
(screen snapshots slightly overlap)

Try reading these

viewtopic.php?t=94255

viewtopic.php?t=97429

C1 or C1E post 1996 I think it was you ha e to take separate test for 7.5 Ton trucks.

Because you passed your test before that date you can drive a 7.5ton truck but only with a 750kg trailer hence the 8250kg limit.

To drive any truck with a trailer over 850kg then you need CE entitlement even if you want to drive a rigid draw bar combo.

Adding C to a pre 97 licence gives you an EXTRA C1

Nothing else changes

To change C1E 107 to an unrestricted C1E you need to pass the C1E or CE test

My licence still shows C1E with restriction 107, but I reckon it’s because that expires when I’m 70.
CE entitlement will expire the day before I’m 66, (unless I complete the medical first).

jessejazza:

ROG:
Adding C to a pre 97 licence gives you an EXTRA C1

Nothing else changes

To change C1E 107 to an unrestricted C1E you need to pass the C1E or CE test

Many thanks.

An unrestricted C1E will still only allow one a combination of 12T (so only an extra 3.75T). As you say one needs CE.

I had an interview for a farm machinery firm once and they were interested that I had grandfather rights… I can only think that the tow vehicle was perhaps 4-5T - wasn’t a 7.5T anyway. What I didn’t understand was that I didn’t have more to offer as a holder of Cat C than a younger lad with Cat C (he would have the C1E 107 as well) but perhaps not the BE.