1st couple of nights away

Hi all,

Got my first 2 or maybe 3 night stay away next week. Probably north Devon area by the looks of it. Could someone give me some advice please? Do you leave you tacho in over night on break or do you take it out and start the next day as you normally would?

Secondly does anybody know the best places to park up for the night in the north Devon area?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cant help you with parking, apart from good old Google, but leave your card in overnight.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Cant help you with parking, apart from good old Google, but leave your card in overnight.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Go on the main forum to ask about parking, or firstly have a look in the Overnight Parking section.

I find it easier to eject the card at night. Put it on rest, leave it a couple minutes, (printout for my records) enter place of ending and eject.
On some trucks switching on key to open window etc will send it onto duty so this avoids that. In morning push tray in and book on.
As Pete says you can leave the card in, either method is legal.

EDIT. Im assuming youre using a digital tacho. On an older analogue (disc) type I`d leave the tacho disc in.

Unless you’re familiar with confirming the End Country, without ejecting your card, I’d say you would be better off ejecting your card and starting the day as normal.

Parking depends on whether your firm pay for parking or insist you use “free” areas, e.g lay-bys…

mardybum:
Unless you’re familiar with confirming the End Country, without ejecting your card, I’d say you would be better off ejecting your card and starting the day as normal.

Parking depends on whether your firm pay for parking or insist you use “free” areas, e.g lay-bys…

Who bothers with end country?.I sure don’t.Used to when doing Euro.As you might well be in a different country that night.Never have here though.And never had anything mentioned about it.

daftvader:

mardybum:

Who bothers with end country?.I sure don’t.Used to when doing Euro.As you might well be in a different country that night.Never have here though.And never had anything mentioned about it.

135euros says it`s a good habit to get into.
Takes a coupla seconds.

The potential fixed penalty for not entering the country symbol for the start or end of the shift is £50.

As has been said, it’s up-to you whether you take the driver card out or leave it in, I’ve always taken mine out but it is a matter of personal preference.

tachograph:
The potential fixed penalty for not entering the country symbol for the start or end of the shift is £50.

As has been said, it’s up-to you whether you take the driver card out or leave it in, I’ve always taken mine out but it is a matter of personal preference.

Fair enough.Learn something new everday.Never been done for it in this country yet though.But as it only takes seconds.And to save myself a few quid maybe i’ll start.

Franglais:

daftvader:

mardybum:

135euros says it`s a good habit to get into.
Takes a coupla seconds.

Like i said.When i done euro work then yeah i done it.But as Tachograph said.Its £50 here.So i’ll get bsck into the habit.

daftvader:

tachograph:

Fair enough.Learn something new everday.Never been done for it in this country yet though.But as it only takes seconds.And to save myself a few quid maybe i’ll start.

When the tacho is inserted it asks for your start country with UK as the default.

When the tacho is ejected it asks for end country with UK as default.

You have to press okay to get past or acknowledge both of these. So how are you not?

Jimmy McNulty:

daftvader:

tachograph:

When the tacho is inserted it asks for your start country with UK as the default.

You have to press okay to get past or acknowledge both of these. So how are you not?

Perhaps he leaves the card in at night :wink:

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:

Jimmy McNulty:

daftvader:

tachograph:

Perhaps he leaves the card in at night :wink:

Sent from my mobile.

Yeah i tramp Monday to friday.And leave card in.

Also, if you make no entry the display changes to
“Timeout No Key Pressed”.
You can drive off without entering anything.

Edited for typo.

I always use hgvparking.com for finding quite trading estates where I think my last drop may be on day one. As you may make better headway than thought, it works well for me.