Going for class 1?

Hi all, been a lurker for a couple of weeks here now and have enjoyed reading the majority of posts!
I took my class 2 in september 2017 and have been driving them since doing various things but now in with a decent pallet company doing drops and collections, really didnt want do the multidrop thing but its really not that bad.
I did my class 2 with the intention of definatly getting my class 1, also the company im with have great opportunities travelling up and down the uk with class 1s, some tramping some day/night runs and also work over Europe.

I am very comfortable with driving the curtain siders now and its almost like second nature, but seeing these big wagons is pushing me to go for it, but alot of the guys at work are saying its really not worth it…
Im on 10.50 an hour now, mon - fri with saturday work every week at time and a half if i want it, normal day is 9/10 hrs.
The class 1 drivers are on 590 a week before tax

Just want a bit of advise on what you guys do/did and what you would recommend?
Many thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

tomB94:
Im on 10.50 an hour now, mon - fri with saturday work every week at time and a half if i want it, normal day is 9/10 hrs.

I assume you mean every other week if you want it :question:

ROG:

tomB94:

No sorry, its there every week if i want it…

Hi Tom
Simple answer go for your class 1,yes you have found a good gig on class 2 BUT for every job you see on class 2 there is 10 on class 1.
The more opportunity you get with class 1 wether its applying for a job or looking for 1 will outweigh the cost of getting it.
Where abouts are you? Plenty if wise sages on here will point you in the direction of a class 1 job to help you make up your mind,you will be on the road to be a driving god like EagerBeaver he might be along soon to tell you all about class 1 and how fun it is lol.

Daytrunker:
Hi Tom
Simple answer go for your class 1,yes you have found a good gig on class 2 BUT for every job you see on class 2 there is 10 on class 1.
The more opportunity you get with class 1 wether its applying for a job or looking for 1 will outweigh the cost of getting it.
Where abouts are you? Plenty if wise sages on here will point you in the direction of a class 1 job to help you make up your mind,you will be on the road to be a driving god like EagerBeaver he might be along soon to tell you all about class 1 and how fun it is lol.

Thanks Daytrunker, i often drop into places such as 3663, tescoes and brakes and watch the big fellas swinging there wagons into the bays etc and they make it look so easy, ive driven many car and trailers before so understand the basics of reversing with a trailer so would hopefully pick up quickly…
Im based near Slough/heathrow in Berkshire

tomB94:

ROG:

tomB94:

so’s a big fine for insufficient weekly rest :wink:

Hi Tom
You should pick it up easily,the longer the trailer the slower it turns daft as it sounds which can make it easier to put it in a tight space.
I’m sure someone who lives closer will give you a better idea of possible jobs by you,but doesn’t seem like a bad place to find class 1 work,could be cheeky and ask where your tipping if its close to you if any class 1 work going at least you might have a better idea.

Jeff.

Edit. Blue was just thinking the same thing,to the OP get your class 1 and get a proper run job.

blue estate:

tomB94:

ROG:

tomB94:

so’s a big fine for insufficient weekly rest :wink:

Good job ive only done 1, 5 hour shift on a Saturday so far then!
Thanks for the heads up though mate

Daytrunker:
Hi Tom
Simple answer go for your class 1,yes you have found a good gig on class 2 BUT for every job you see on class 2 there is 10 on class 1

And there are 10 class 2 drivers for every class 2 job to 1 class 1 driver for every class 1 job as well (I have made that up but there are a lot more class 2 qualified than 1)

Daytrunker:
Hi Tom
You should pick it up easily,the longer the trailer the slower it turns daft as it sounds which can make it easier to put it in a tight space.
I’m sure someone who lives closer will give you a better idea of possible jobs by you,but doesn’t seem like a bad place to find class 1 work,could be cheeky and ask where your tipping if its close to you if any class 1 work going at least you might have a better idea.

Jeff.

Edit. Blue was just thinking the same thing,to the OP get your class 1 and get a proper run job.

Thanks mate, i tip in brakes, 3663 and tescoes in Reading.
Tom

Jimmy McNulty:

Daytrunker:
Hi Tom
Simple answer go for your class 1,yes you have found a good gig on class 2 BUT for every job you see on class 2 there is 10 on class 1

And there are 10 class 2 drivers for every class 2 job to 1 class 1 driver for every class 1 job as well (I have made that up but there are a lot more class 2 qualified than 1)

Jimmy.
Wasn’t meant as a dig at class 2 jobs sorry if it came over like that just trying to say you will have more opportunities for a new job with class 1.

Daytrunker:

Jimmy McNulty:

Daytrunker:
Hi Tom

Jimmy.
Wasn’t meant as a dig at class 2 jobs sorry if it came over like that just trying to say you will have more opportunities for a new job with class 1.

I agree pal - what i’m saying is there are a lot more people with a Class 2 entitlement than class 1, so only being able to go for class 2 jobs means more competition.

If you have the cash go for class 1 even if you don’t need it straight away

tomB94:
Hi all, been a lurker for a couple of weeks here now and have enjoyed reading the majority of posts!
I took my class 2 in september 2017 and have been driving them since doing various things but now in with a decent pallet company doing drops and collections, really didnt want do the multidrop thing but its really not that bad.
I did my class 2 with the intention of definatly getting my class 1, also the company im with have great opportunities travelling up and down the uk with class 1s, some tramping some day/night runs and also work over Europe.

I am very comfortable with driving the curtain siders now and its almost like second nature, but seeing these big wagons is pushing me to go for it, but alot of the guys at work are saying its really not worth it…

Many thanks

Class 1 work is generally far easier than C2, and more often than not, will pay slightly more.

As said, far more work available to you too and artic’s are much nicer to drive. Better view from being higher up and you would be surprised at how little room is actually needed to spin the thing round.

No more ocean liner steering at junctions, and when all the good looking girls come out in short skirts during summertime, they see you sat up high as a Class 1 jedi master driving God and give you very nice admiring and ■■■■■ looks.

Unlike rigid drivers who they simply give the coffee shaker. Quite rightly too :wink:

eagerbeaver:

tomB94:

Many thanks

Class 1 work is generally far easier than C2, and more often than not, will pay slightly more.

As said, far more work available to you too and artic’s are much nicer to drive. Better view from being higher up and you would be surprised at how little room is actually needed to spin the thing round.

No more ocean liner steering at junctions, and when all the good looking girls come out in short skirts during summertime, they see you sat up high as a Class 1 jedi master driving God and give you very nice admiring and ■■■■■ looks.

Unlike rigid drivers who they simply give the coffee shaker. Quite rightly too :wink:

Lol cheers for the advice mate i love being high up and am thoroughly enjoying driving so far, the lorry i drive is a 10 plate merc curtain sider and although shes lovely to drive the turning circle is shocking and also has a metal bar along the back bottom for the tail lift which you have to watch when manouvering in tight places also when reversing onto bays its so low that it will catch the yellow bars either side if your a couple inches out!

Thanks for the advise buddy

It is worth doing because the quality of work is better. It pays slightly more too.

Don’t think it is the skive it’s made out to be, winding down bent rusty legs in ■■■■■■■ down rain isn’t fun, nor is heaving the twice the size curtains in high winds, they are hard work anyway but now you have twice as much to deal with.

My advice would be to go for it. Another qualification is always good to have, you never know when you will need it. Take my situation, I am a shunter on 14 per hour, but I am on strictly 40 hours and I need more money. I have class one, counterbalance, reach, vna, bendi and telehandler licences, so I can take my pick what I fancy doing next. I can manage financially for a couple of months, so I’m in no rush. I have decided that I want to do artics for the summer, I don’t fancy being stuck inside for the good weather. So that’s what I’m going to do. I will stick where I am for a few weeks until the worst of the winter passes and make my move around April

Get it done. There’s much more work around on class one than class two, but I think it sounds like you have a fairly good number where you are. If you enjoy the job, I would stick with job, believe me, there is much worse out there.

jbaz73:
It is worth doing because the quality of work is better. It pays slightly more too.

Don’t think it is the skive it’s made out to be, winding down bent rusty legs in ■■■■■■■ down rain isn’t fun, nor is heaving the twice the size curtains in high winds, they are hard work anyway but now you have twice as much to deal with.

My advice would be to go for it. Another qualification is always good to have, you never know when you will need it. Take my situation, I am a shunter on 14 per hour, but I am on strictly 40 hours and I need more money. I have class one, counterbalance, reach, vna, bendi and telehandler licences, so I can take my pick what I fancy doing next. I can manage financially for a couple of months, so I’m in no rush. I have decided that I want to do artics for the summer, I don’t fancy being stuck inside for the good weather. So that’s what I’m going to do. I will stick where I am for a few weeks until the worst of the winter passes and make my move around April

Get it done. There’s much more work around on class one than class two, but I think it sounds like you have a fairly good number where you are. If you enjoy the job, I would stick with job, believe me, there is much worse out there.

A good point well made ^^.

Pulling your curtains on a nice warm and calm day in spring is a different proposition than heaving away in a gale whilst it’s ■■■■■■■ down and you are freezing cold in winter.

Artics are far more enjoyable in the warmer/calmer weather :grimacing:

Thanks guys, i totally agree ive helped with unloading and loading and strapping the artics a couple times and the curtains are much bigger and more tricky! Guess its what you get used to…

I got a holiday to pay off first then ill be looking to book the class 1…i can do it with the same company i did my rigid for, for 800 squids… am i right in thinking i dont need to take another theory or medical do i?

Many thanks for your honest opinions and good to look other peoples situations too!
Ta all