Assessment tips for new passer?

Well, I’m now fully qualified and waiting for my taco card and updated license.

Next step is to find a job and get cracking!

There seem to be a fair few companies locally which will take on new passers around my area (Brum) and I’m fairly confident in my general driving ability. However, daft as this may sound, I’ve gotta admit that my biggest concern is the reversing part of the inevitable assessments I’m going to be doing soon.

Whilst learning the ‘reverse into a bay’ manoeuvre I was taught to reverse hard left until I could see all five cones in the right mirror and then start turning the other way. Doing this I found the manoeuvre easy and literally didn’t mess it up once after I’d nailed it the first time. However, I’ve not sat behind the wheel in a few weeks now and worry that without the visual cue I’m accustomed to and the inevitable nerves I could turn a bit too early/late.

I’ve always been good at judging reversing manoeuvres in my car and as a driver for JLR I’m backing Range Rovers into tight spaces all day, but I still worry that this is the part which I might fluff on the day.

Any advice from you old timers would be much appreciated.

The assessor will know the crack .
Why would you leave jlr to drive lorrys though :confused:

Beetlejuice:

I’m sick of driving around mainly the same site and the pay is atrocious (I work through an agency). This is just a temporary job after leaving office work which I’ve hated for years. The DHL guys driving the lorries onsite are on almost double the hourly rate I am.

Standard advice is to let the assessor know that you are a new pass. Ask for information on the vehicle that isn’t obvious. Carry out a proper walk round check - even if you’ve been told it’s been done and ready to go.

Make sensible progress; no prizes for pottering about. But remember the word “sensible”. If it’s not safe or legal to go any quicker, then don’t even think about it.

Reversing is everyone’s worry. Give yourself loads of room. Don’t be afraid to get out and check. Don’t rush. The assessor knows that you have no experience; if I was him I would be looking for safety and composure before speed and accuracy.

Many, many folks have been in this position. Try not to worry about it and you might actually enjoy it!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

BigStu81:

Beetlejuice:

I’m sick of driving around mainly the same site and the pay is atrocious (I work through an agency). This is just a temporary job after leaving office work which I’ve hated for years. The DHL guys driving the lorries onsite are on almost double the hourly rate I am.

Everythings agency now ,Pays being crippled by them.

P.S i had an assessment in an artic the other week,And i took 6 shunts and passed it … :laughing: I dont like being watched from in the cab reversing ,Just remember everyones done them .
Take your time pal
All the best

Take your time, you probably won’t do a blindside reverse, it will probably be good side. I have an assessment next week too. Take it very slow and methodically swapping the trailer, remember black and you won’t go far wrong. And DONT FORGET the number plate, I do every time!

Cheers for all the good advice guys!

Had an assessment other day was easy nice & relaxed yep he knew had passed but this is not a test it is to see if you are competent of driving & not going to throw the vehicle around had a few roundabouts some left & right corners some tight but just nice & steady got back couple reverse there was plenty space so used all of it took 1 shunt to straighten up then round into another bay could have had in 1 as all had to do was position right then would have gone straight back but no took 2 shunts as messed up a bit but he knew that so do I

As long as you don’t hit anything & are happy behind the wheel then nothing to worry about even though the roads were a bit ice & slippy just took time slowed down a bit more

Yep passed assessment just had to pass interview & small test on drivers hours load security took about 10 min simple

I had an assessment the other day and had to reverse next to another trailer. Cramped for room at the front but not too bad. Took it all a bit quick and made a right ■■■■■■■ hash of it, eventually getting it parallel with the trailer that I needed to but at least a trailer width away from it.

My advice is take it as slow as you need and don’t rush. Get out and look if required. Other bit of advice if you do make a balls up of it or even if you don’t, learn from it.

Anyway as I finished I said to the assessor I have made a right ■■■■■■■ pig’s ear of that. He said no you haven’t I had someone reverse into a tanker a month ago. Subsequently I was offered a job.