Driver hours

Hi I am currently going through my training for class 2 and hopefully if I pass class1.

I think I have a grasp of driver hours including breaks and rest periods.
There are a few questions I have though,
1 when waiting around to be tipped loaded is this POA or other work?
2 can anyone show me a example of a typical week or 2 week period with the whole tachograph information. All the examples online are basic start driving 4.5 hrs later stop for break.
I wanted to see it in everyday use.
Thank you
Ste

kopkings1:
Hi I am currently going through my training for class 2 and hopefully if I pass class1.

2 can anyone show me a example of a typical week or 2 week period with the whole tachograph information. All the examples online are basic start driving 4.5 hrs later stop for break.
Thank you
Ste

1 = break or POA - your choice

2 = example for one day …
0600 start
0600 - 0615 other work
0615 - 0745 drive
0745 - 0800 work
0800 - 0930 drive
0930 - 0945 break (waiting for 15 mins to unload) counted as first split driving break and for WTD
0945 - 1000 work
1000 - 1130 drive
1130 - 1200 break counted as second split driving break and for WTD
1200 - 1230 drive
1230 - 1245 work
1245 = 1345 drive
1245 - 1300 work
1300 - 1500 drive
1500 - 1530 work
1530 - 1600 drive
1600 - 1700 work
1700 end

ROG:

kopkings1:

Thank you
Ste

1 = break or POA - your choice

2 = example for one day …
0600 start
0600 - 0615 other work
0615 - 0745 drive
0745 - 0800 work
0800 - 0930 drive
0930 - 0945 break (waiting for 15 mins to unload) counted as first split driving break and for WTD
0945 - 1000 work
1000 - 1130 drive
1130 - 1200 break counted as second split driving break and for WTD
1200 - 1230 drive
1230 - 1245 work
1245 = 1345 drive
1245 - 1300 work
1300 - 1500 drive
1500 - 1530 work
1530 - 1600 drive
1600 - 1700 work
1700 end

Thank you for this it’s teally helpful

Just to add, be careful with POA.

It resets you Driving Time when you have it set to POA for more than 45 minutes. The Driving Time starts from 0 again while in reality you only have 1:05 Driving Time left and NOT like the Tacho shows 4:30.

I would always use break, only when I’m involded in loading/offloading (i.e. Securing the Load, Opening/Closing the Curtains, Handballing, Operating the Taillift etc.) I put in on other work. Also for doing Vehicle Checks and Paperwork.

One more thing:

I always try to get to the customer with like 15-20 Minutes or more Driving Time left. It’s not worth it arriving at a site, stopping at the gate with 4:29 or 4:30 showing on the Tacho. Because you can’t stop there, block everything because you need your 45 minute break.

If in doubt stop before, have your break, reset your Driving Time and carry on. If you miss your timeslot (who cares) better than driving around the customer premises and going over your time. 1-2 minutes over don’t matter if they rarely occur, but you never know how much driving is involded around RDC’s/Customers premises. [emoji6]

Tipperdipper1:
Just to add, be careful with POA.

It resets you Driving Time when you have it set to POA for more than 45 minutes. The Driving Time starts from 0 again while in reality you only have 1:05 Driving Time left and NOT like the Tacho shows 4:30.

I would always use break, only when I’m involded in loading/offloading (i.e. Securing the Load, Opening/Closing the Curtains, Handballing, Operating the Taillift etc.) I put in on other work. Also for doing Vehicle Checks and Paperwork.

One more thing:

I always try to get to the customer with like 15-20 Minutes or more Driving Time left. It’s not worth it arriving at a site, stopping at the gate with 4:29 or 4:30 showing on the Tacho. Because you can’t stop there, block everything because you need your 45 minute break.

If in doubt stop before, have your break, reset your Driving Time and carry on. If you miss your timeslot (who cares) better than driving around the customer premises and going over your time. 1-2 minutes over don’t matter if they rarely occur, but you never know how much driving is involded around RDC’s/Customers premises. [emoji6]

Thank you very much for your reply. I only work 4 days a week for a car manufacturer so was only planning on getting my license to work weekends. The more I look into it the more o am thinking of doing this full time( if I can get the permanent employment)

Working 4 days a week - say mon to thu - then you can drive for one day one week and two days the next week because every other week you need to have 2 days off in a row for the weekly rest rules

ROG:
Working 4 days a week - say mon to thu - then you can drive for one day one week and two days the next week because every other week you need to have 2 days off in a row for the weekly rest rules

Thank you, that was my plan anyway

Re POA vs Break.
Be aware of how you’re being paid. Some employers pay breaks, some don’t. Lots of breaks makes it easier to stay legal, but you don’t want to loose money.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Re POA vs Break.
Be aware of how you’re being paid. Some employers pay breaks, some don’t. Lots of breaks makes it easier to stay legal, but you don’t want to loose money.

Cheers, got to pass and find a job first and that seems to be the hardest thing about it hahaha
Is it worth paying the extra to do the test through Eddie Stobart and have a interview at the end?

kopkings1:

Franglais:
Re POA vs Break.

Cheers, got to pass and find a job first and that seems to be the hardest thing about it hahaha
Is it worth paying the extra to do the test through Eddie Stobart and have a interview at the end?

Why not give it a go.

But also search on here for Petes Smythe or PSTT on here.

He’s a good and very professional trainer.

Other members from this forum were trained by him and all seem very happy.

He also has good discounts and accomendation (for free when you live further than 70 miles away from his site)

At least have a look at it [emoji848][emoji6][emoji4]

Tipperdipper1:

kopkings1:

Franglais:
Re POA vs Break.

Why not give it a go.

But also search on here for Petes Smythe or PSTT on here.

He’s a good and very professional trainer.

Other members from this forum were trained by him and all seem very happy.

He also has good discounts and accomendation (for free when you live further than 70 miles away from his site)

At least have a look at it [emoji848][emoji6][emoji4]

Thank you

kopkings1:

Franglais:
Re POA vs Break.

They rather craftily promise nothing more than an interview…there’s an excellent alternative training establishment advertising on here with a proprietor who goes the extra mile to help people on their way to becoming an hgv driver.

www.truckdrivertaining.co.uk

TiredAndEmotional:
truckdrivertaining.co.uk

Are you sure about that link??

It looks to be a generic search, but I noticed that the first ‘hit’ goes to what seems to me to be a broker. :confused:

Quite unhelpful, unless you’ve made a typo!

BTW, this is from the OP:

kopkings1:

I’m not the best with computers, but I tried the www.petersmythe.co.uk does it as well. I am aware that there are other www’s that will arrive at the same site also.

Another way of getting there is to click on the banner at the top or side of this page.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks anyway, I have started my training for class 2 with a local company, when I pass will have a look at petes site for class 1.
Fingers crossed

Nothing to do with drivers hours but we have been offered voluntery redundancy in work £12,000. I have only been there 3 years. Very good hourly rate £11.80 an hour ( only 38 hrs per wk)
If I was to pass both class 1 and 2 which I am going for would it be worth taking it with limited job opportunities for new drivers or stay where I am and try work weekends until I have enough experience to apply for a perm job.

I have to make a decision by the end of the week but will not be leaving until end of April.

Sorry to ask this but my heads goosed hahaha

If working mon to fri then you can drive for one day every other weekend due to weekly rest rules

ROG:
If working mon to fri then you can drive for one day every other weekend due to weekly rest rules

Hi sorry wasn’t clear now I work Monday-thur come April that will change 4 days from mon-fri.
I have got my head around the drivers hours now so could only work 1 extra day on the trucks and 2 every two weeks.
Just a massive risk leaving with the money only hoping some one would give me a start with no experience haha

kopkings1:

ROG:

Hi sorry wasn’t clear now I work Monday-thur come April that will change 4 days from mon-fri.
I have got my head around the drivers hours now so could only work 1 extra day on the trucks and 2 every two weeks.
Just a massive risk leaving with the money only hoping some one would give me a start with no experience haha

you are correct - driving 2 one week and 1 the next but the two days off must be together when you drive for 1 day

ROG:

That’s helpful, thank you. I wasn’t sure about this, I have Mon - Fri job, 37.5 hpw so it means I can do 1 day every other week which is not helpful for getting experience.