First full month

Well, I’ve now completed my 1st full month (6 weeks to be precise) on class 1 and my first thoughts are…why the ■■■■ did I wait this long to change career? I love it :slight_smile:

I can’t say it’s been easy though. Learning your new trade in the dark on nightshift (reversing in the dark) has been difficult and challenging but no one has died yet and no trailers have been hurt in the process.

I feel I’ve got to grips with it now and moving containers from the railheads to RDC’s with the best of them all be it with a few shunts on the odd occasion.
What I have found with reversing though is that if I have little to no room, I can fling the trailer into the tightest of spots with ease. Give me a wide open reverse and I’m like a ■■■■■■■ snake on cooking sherry!! I’m all over the shop! It makes no sense I know!

There is an abundance of drivers in the yard that are amazingly friendly and helpful and all of them want to give me advice. The trouble is…it’s too much bloody advice. I’ve been given about 8 different ways to drop a trailer and 10 different ways to reverse. It’s advice overload! Still,I can’t complain. I could have ended up in a nightmare yard where no one gives a toss!

Good to hear you have fallen on your feet , especially after Acriflex posted about his ‘shocking 5 months’. It is often luck of the draw as to where you land up. But , and this isn’t said about Acriflex as I don’t know him, attitude is a huge part of the job as well.

Hope it carries on well for you.

I’m the same with open reverses.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

There’s only one way to drop a trailer regardless of what the old hands tell you.
Do it as you did on the test you’ll have no issues.

harrawaffa:
There’s only one way to drop a trailer regardless of what the old hands tell you.
Do it as you did on the test you’ll have no issues.

Yep, I have my system and stick to it religiously.

The reason a tight reverse is easier than an open reverse? It’s because you have an object to reference yourself with. The trick with an open reverse is to slow it down… stupid slow. We all fell into the habit of speeding up a little at a time since passing the test, and you didn’t even realise you’re doing it.

Great to hear, Rabb.
Certainly makes a change to see a positive post instead of all the salt being thrown around in the “adult/big boys” board!
:slight_smile: