Passed Aug '17 - Had Shocking Start To Industry

I would tell everyone my story, but it gets quite depressing.

However, I will say this. Agencies are the spawn of Satan.

I currently have 5 months experience. And in that time, I have learnt to never trust agencies, curtain siders, 18t, 16t, 15t, 12t, 7.5t, box backs, multidrop, palletised goods.

Been out of work since Christmas Eve, due to an agency not paying me, so I left. Because I see it as, if not getting paid, I am not a slave.

I have applied to 139 jobs online, offline, and in person. Maybe dressed too nicely, as was in shirt and tie. And all I am getting is, “We will get back to you”. I even spent the whole of Christmas day looking for work, even though I have a family.

I am in a prime location as well, for this industry. I live in Barnsley, so I have Sheffield, Leeds, Doncaster, Rotherham and many other areas. And yet, still getting no where.

I even live down the road from Ken Mallisons, 2 minute walk, and they have a big sign out asking for Class 1 and Class 2 work.

So what I am asking is for some help as to what to do further to get my foot in the door?

It is a shame I can not use my previous experience on top of my Class 2 licence to get work. I have tonnes of experience on driving nationwide, just not with Hgv work.

Thank you for the time you spent reading this,

Cheers,

Acriflex

It’s a bit difficult to know why you aren’t getting work without knowing far more info, as in too much to write and too much for us to read. :smiley:

It’s a bit disconcerting to read that you can’t trust curtainsiders or boxes - I think you learn that low loaders and flats are a lot harder to load and secure. Though everyone will understand not trusting agencies, though some are decent enough.

Have you had any interviews? Any feedback as to why you weren’t suitable?

Shirt and tie isn’t over the top, but I’d stick with shirt and no tie and smart work style trousers if you have those, if not clean jeans or normal trousers.

Do you have any mates in this industry; that is the general route into our firm, we don’t advertise.

Unfortunately a lot of it is down to luck and being in the right place at the right time. I would try and make sure that your experiences so far haven’t soured you so much that it comes across when you meet prospective employers - not saying that is happening, but sometimes we carry a negativity about us that we aren’t aware of. I always say that when I employ someone, I don’t want someone that only has a driving license, I want someone that looks like they are the kind of person we can work with and I’m happy to let loose on my customers.

Hope someone can give you some heads up in your area.

albion:
It’s a bit disconcerting to read that you can’t trust curtainsiders or boxes - I think you learn that low loaders and flats are a lot harder to load and secure. Though everyone will understand not trusting agencies, though some are decent enough.

Sorry, got that far carried away writing it.

Can’t trust agencies, but have experience in all those, curtain siders, box, etc.

The reasons I keep getting is experience or insurance reasons.

Age is not a problem, I am 36. Loved the jobs I have had. I have done multidrop, and done it to clothes stores (Peacocks, Woollen Mill), parcels (Nights - Hermes) and animal feed (big and little stores).

And each job I have had, has had a tail lift.

My apologies to not being clearer.

Thank you

Is there a brakes bidvest or local .they will give you work .Also try skip work at local waste firms .
I agree on agencies they are a grey area bunch …

Brakes are in Leeds and they have nothing at the moment in the area.

Bidvest needs minimum 6 months experience.

As for local, I’ll give them a try. Did not think of those, thank you

Sorry to hear you have had such a shocking start to the industry. It does seem that companies are not at all welcoming to a newly qualified. My 20 year old passed in September 2017 and our insurance broker just laughed and would not even quote for him to be covered without experience etc, I managed to get him covered elsewhere for a better price than I had previously paid (same cover etc). I think a lot of companies just assume a newly qualified person will a nightmare and are not willing to invest time to give them a try.

Maritime are advertising that they will give drivers with limited experience a go and they have depots local to you. Possibly try going into some companies in person and ask if they are willing to give you a start. I hope all goes well for you in the future.

Thank you, did not think Maritime did Class 2 work, but will certainly give them a try, thank you

Tried Maritime, spoke to David Bowden, the person who is in charge there for driver recruitment.

Nothing going there at the moment.

Acriflex:

Then tell them you’ve got 6 MTHS experience, driving various classes

Sign up to Talstaff who will get you into Londis/Booker at South Elmsall or go direct. There is also JM Holling at Thorne, same agency will get you in although they were advertising for employed drivers.

If the agency hasn’t paid you and you have either a signed timesheet or a tacho printout (or neither of these things neccesarily) send them a letter before action and if nothing then put a county court claim. That is unless they have a justifiable reason for witholding pay

biggriffin:

Acriflex:

Then tell them you’ve got 6 MTHS experience, driving various classes

Exactly this.

When you get another interview, try dressing down, only the shirt and tie could put them off in my opinion, when I started 2 yr back I went to, 2 x interviews and done well in steel toe caps, work fleece and gloves to hand, both queried the gloves as it was an interview, the answer, I thought I may get a trial drive and require them, Both gave me trial drives on the day, took the breaks job but hated that, then took day tramping plastic facia delivery etc, love it, although away, phone never goes if you crack on. Worked for me go in work gear.
The nights out are also only averaging 2 a week, good luck with work hunting, hope something comes up soon.

I thought bidvest did consider new passes. Must have changed their stance. 5 months experience is almost 6 months. Deffinately be creative.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
I thought bidvest did consider new passes. Must have changed their stance. 5 months experience is almost 6 months. Deffinately be creative.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If you have 5 months experience but need 6, alter your cv. Make your start date a month earlier. You can later claim an honest mistake.

Maybe you should let them know that you have only recently moved to the area.

And after working at P&H Haydock for two years, (you were living there with your ex and now have met someone else from Barnsley and moved in with her), you wish to continue with the Class 2 tail lift work that you are used to, and thoroughly enjoy…

Just a shame that you lost your previous tacho card :frowning: Must have left it in a truck which then got auctioned off at Manheim auctions around the corner from the yard in Haydock, along with the other 50+ trucks.

Also a crying shame about not being able to produce a reference with the firm going under. Never mind…

eagerbeaver:

And after working at P&H Haydock for two years, (you were living there with your ex and now have met someone else from Barnsley and moved in with her), you wish to continue with the Class 2 tail lift work that you are used to, and thoroughly enjoy…

Just a shame that you lost your previous tacho card :frowning: Must have left it in a truck which then got auctioned off at Manheim auctions around the corner from the yard in Haydock, along with the other 50+ trucks.

Also a crying shame about not being able to produce a reference with the firm going under. Never mind…

You, mister beaver, are truly evil! I like your style mate :imp:

jbaz73:

eagerbeaver:

Truckers should stick together Jb :wink:

Now you mention it though, my memory isn’t quite what it used to be.

Maybe it was P&H’s Leeds depot he worked at…

jbaz73:

eagerbeaver:

Which works until they check his licence pass date and see he’s been driving without the valid licence category for those two years!

m1cks:

jbaz73:

eagerbeaver:

Which works until they check his licence pass date and see he’s been driving without the valid licence category for those two years!

Who said anything about driving for the 2 years. Maybe he was a warehouse worker until August when they paid for his class 2 training and then moved him onto driving.

^ Correct. What I meant was that he thoroughly enjoyed loading the wagons (hence using the tail lifts), and then parking the wagons up in the yard ready for the drivers to come in the following morning.

I seem to remember he was ready to start being a driver the very week that the company went bust. And all his 7 children now cannot eat.

And the dog’s just died too… :frowning: