ADR?

I have an interview tomorrow for a company that fills gas canisters. From what I can gather, it will be inert gas. Do I need an adr for this? It will be delivering pressurised bottles. ADR was not mentioned in the advert and it’s something I will be taking up with them tomorrow. Also if you drive without one, what is the potential penalty? That is for information only, if the job requires adr, there’s no way I’m going on the road without

jbaz73:
I have an interview tomorrow for a company that fills gas canisters. From what I can gather, it will be inert gas. Do I need an adr for this? It will be delivering pressurised bottles. ADR was not mentioned in the advert and it’s something I will be taking up with them tomorrow. Also if you drive without one, what is the potential penalty? That is for information only, if the job requires adr, there’s no way I’m going on the road without

Hi jbaz73,

Thanks for the nice easy question. :smiley:

It was your mention of inert gases that made it easy for me to answer.

When a gas is described as an inert gas, it is in UN Class 2.2

Class 2.2 label:

2_2.gif

You are allowed to carry a certain amount of these substances without an ADR licence or orange plates etc, which is calculated as follows:

For a straightforward compressed gas ( = not liquefied, refrigerated or dissolved) find the water capacity of the cylinder(s) and add them together. You can carry total per load of 1,000 or less.
(The water capacity must be stamped onto the cylinder(s.)

For liquefied, refridgerated and dissolved gases, tally up the stated nett Kgs on the paperwork. Again, the limit is 1,000.

If you’re carrying both kinds, then the total still cannot exceed 1,000 when they’re all added together.

The above is your boss’ responsibility, and even if he misleads you… it’s not down to you.

This is from the part of ADR that deals with the Carrier’s ( = vehicle owner) responsibilities:

ADR 1.4.2.2.1 (a) Ascertain that the dangerous goods to be carried are authorized for carriage in accordance with ADR

And that’s whether the boss likes it or not!! :smiley:

Thank you for the comprehensive answer, it is much appreciated