Class 1 Assesment

Hi All,

Just got back from a class 1 training assessment and surprised how it felt so similar to the class 2 albeit with a longer trailer.

Assessment was in a 10 year old DAF 4 over 4 manual and I think when I book my training I will do it in the manual purely for the experience.

I would highly recommend any newbie have a go with a manual whilst training so it wont be so scary if presented with one in the real world,

Your choice of course. But I wouldn’t recommend manual routinely. I would suggest that folks should consider an assessment in a truck such as the one you describe, and then try a new auto. Then make a decision based on the experience.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I would suggest waiting until you have passed your test before recommending doing it in a manual.

peterboroughmatt:
I would suggest waiting until you have passed your test before recommending doing it in a manual.

Why? The standard of truck drivers is plummeting as it is :imp:

eagerbeaver:

peterboroughmatt:

Because if he now fails on gears he is going to look a fool, I passed in an auto but drive manuals everyday, there really isn’t much too it but it’s just one less thing to think/worry about on your test.

peterboroughmatt:

eagerbeaver:

peterboroughmatt:

Because if he now fails on gears he is going to look a fool, I passed in an auto but drive manuals everyday, there really isn’t much too it but it’s just one less thing to think/worry about on your test.

I understand what you are saying mate, but isn’t that the very point? The test is getting easier and easier.

Surely there must be some drivers now that have passed CE that would not have if they had to test in a manual. Dumbing the whole job down in my view. If you can’t pass a CE test in a manual, you shouldn’t be a wagon driver.

eagerbeaver:

peterboroughmatt:

eagerbeaver:

peterboroughmatt:

I understand what you are saying mate, but isn’t that the very point? The test is getting easier and easier.

Surely there must be some drivers now that have passed CE that would not have if they had to test in a manual. Dumbing the whole job down in my view. If you can’t pass a CE test in a manual, you shouldn’t be a wagon driver.

Like Glasgow Celtic you can only beat whats in front of you, it’s not their fault that the other teams are ■■■■■■

If the driving test offers you the option to learn and pass in an easier way then why not do it. At one point there was no HGV driving test and at others you could jump straight onto Class 1 without a test in a rigid, so in a way it’s got harder. And then easier again.

Yeah but at the end of the day, any newbie would rather just have a pass certificate I imagine, I know I would. You could always go back afterwards for an hour or two for a short course on the workings of a manual box I suppose? I’d say it’s worth knowing, but I haven’t driven a manual in quite a few years now either… You could always watch a few YouTube videos for free I suppose,

I learned much more after the fact once I got into the real world of trucking. I did my test with an empty flatbed trailer, so no load carrying of any kind or how to secure the load ever came into play. I was taught how to drive it, everything else I had to learn on the job, which wasn’t too bad. I just asked questions if I wasn’t sure.

I look like a fool most days so not worried about failing for gears lol.

I’m just saying give it a go whilst you have the safety blanket of L plates and an experienced instructor with you :laughing:

couldn’t think of much worse than getting to a job seeing a gear knob and thinking :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Maybe it’s time for me to repeat what I’ve mentioned before a few times. Up until around 2005, 99% of training vehicles were fitted with a “straight” 5 or 6 speed box. Then the powers that be (DVSA) decided in their wisdom to impose a requirement for 8 forward gears. Most trainers changed to 4 over 4 whilst others elected to use a 6 speed with a splitter.

So, up to 2005, the huge majority of new drivers had zero experience of anything more than a straight box. Ironically, as the industry was carrying out a major move to auto, the DSVA decided this was the correct time to introduce the “8 speed rule”.

I am not aware of anyone having tuition to transfer their skills from a straight box to something more interesting. Together with many other folks, I learned on a 4 speed. And yet, everyone managed. So are we now saying that current learners are dim and couldn’t cope with the change? I think not. Finally the rules from DVSA reflect the real world to a large extent and this is why the change to auto.

And surely, in this day and age of utube and forums, it’s possible to glean enough knowledge in the event that a new driver is confronted with a manual that is any other to a straight 6 speed.

Together with many other folks, I learned on a 4 speed. It was a single axle 27’ trailer. I now regularly drive 45’ trailers with comparatively huge units. I have managed to drive any gearbox thrown at me over the years without undue stress. I’m no genius; it’s simply not rocket science.

I’m in the business of training new drivers. This does not mean simply squeezing folk through a test. And, by using auto, we are able to concentrate more and more on the finer points and this is raising the level of competence overall. The fact that we see clean sheets most weeks bears this out.

I am not decrying learning on a manual; I just don’t see the point anymore.

As always, the choice is down to the customer.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: