Class 1 Assesment

Maybe it’s time for me to repeat what I’ve mentioned before a few times. Up until around 2005, 99% of training vehicles were fitted with a “straight” 5 or 6 speed box. Then the powers that be (DVSA) decided in their wisdom to impose a requirement for 8 forward gears. Most trainers changed to 4 over 4 whilst others elected to use a 6 speed with a splitter.

So, up to 2005, the huge majority of new drivers had zero experience of anything more than a straight box. Ironically, as the industry was carrying out a major move to auto, the DSVA decided this was the correct time to introduce the “8 speed rule”.

I am not aware of anyone having tuition to transfer their skills from a straight box to something more interesting. Together with many other folks, I learned on a 4 speed. And yet, everyone managed. So are we now saying that current learners are dim and couldn’t cope with the change? I think not. Finally the rules from DVSA reflect the real world to a large extent and this is why the change to auto.

And surely, in this day and age of utube and forums, it’s possible to glean enough knowledge in the event that a new driver is confronted with a manual that is any other to a straight 6 speed.

Together with many other folks, I learned on a 4 speed. It was a single axle 27’ trailer. I now regularly drive 45’ trailers with comparatively huge units. I have managed to drive any gearbox thrown at me over the years without undue stress. I’m no genius; it’s simply not rocket science.

I’m in the business of training new drivers. This does not mean simply squeezing folk through a test. And, by using auto, we are able to concentrate more and more on the finer points and this is raising the level of competence overall. The fact that we see clean sheets most weeks bears this out.

I am not decrying learning on a manual; I just don’t see the point anymore.

As always, the choice is down to the customer.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: