Got a start at the Tesco Widnes rdc (new pass)

Hi everyone

I passed my test just last week and have a start with the challenge group agency working full time out of the Tesco rdc in Widnes. I’m told it’s stobart who have the contract to deliver to the Tesco stores (I didn’t know this until I was told) so I will be driving stobart units pulling stobart trailers.

This is my first job driving and I’m a bit worried. I’m going to be partnered with an older driver (was told it could be a stobart driver or someone from within the agency) so that has settled my nerves. I was told that mistakes are to be expected since I’m a new pass and stobart are understanding of this.

I’ve been told to expect a single delivery per shift and I will only to be delivering to the big Tesco stores. The job sounds really easy but I’m open to disappointment.

I started tonight so I will update on how my entire week goes. Meanwhile, does anybody have any tips or have worked here before?

Although the big tesco stores are big getting into them can be tricky mainly due to the crap in the yard.
Usually fairy easy though.
All I can say is they don’t rush and you can expect to sit outside or by a gate for ages before they let you in even if the yard is empty.

Also I wouldn’t believe them when they say you will, only have one delivery a day or are only delivering to the big stores. They will send you wherever they need you.
Bring a 3ds or a book to keep you entertained while you wait.

Congratulations on passing and welcome.

Not worked for Tesco but my advice is to ask the guy your with as many questions as you can. Hopefully they will be offering advice but get asking questions as well.

As above take your time and get out and look as many times as you need to.

adam277:
Although the big tesco stores are big getting into them can be tricky mainly due to the crap in the yard.
All I can say is they don’t rush and you can expect to sit outside or by a gate for ages before they let you in even if the yard is empty.

Also I wouldn’t believe them when they say you will, only have one delivery a day or are only delivering to the big stores. They will send you wherever they need you.

Thanks for this, and sorry if I don’t use quotes properly as I’m still getting used to the forum features!

So what you’ve said is pretty much right. The driver I’m partnered with has told me a realistic shift is 2-3 deliveries per shift with a shift expected to last upwards of 12 hours.

A few things I wasn’t aware of was that you’re required to bring rubbish back from the stores to the rdc recycling plant and you have to unload the rubbish yourself and then load cages. I don’t mind getting my hands dirty but this is not what I expected driving lorries would entail.

The agency told me stobarts only have modern units (I was worried about gear boxes as I passed in an automatic) but the units here range are mostly old 11 and 12 plate manuals. My trainer has said I will have to use a manual sooner rather than later as I will most likely get one.

Working on rigids is also required which I was not told about. My trainer says he wants to show me everything and not to worry. It seems like an awful lot to take in.

Also what’s up with the people behind the desk at the place where you get a job? They all look stressed out running around like headless chickens!

The stobart drivers seem to stick with each other around the rdc but another driver that my trainer knows told me to expect it. Also it seems stobart drivers get the best drops? My trainer said they all get the decker runs which last all shift.

I’m not too sure this job is for me but I’m going to crack on with it and learn something.

NicholasFromWidnes:

adam277:

Thanks for this, and sorry if I don’t use quotes properly as I’m still getting used to the forum features!

So what you’ve said is pretty much right. The driver I’m partnered with has told me a realistic shift is 2-3 deliveries per shift with a shift expected to last upwards of 12 hours.

A few things I wasn’t aware of was that you’re required to bring rubbish back from the stores to the rdc recycling plant and you have to unload the rubbish yourself and then load cages. I don’t mind getting my hands dirty but this is not what I expected driving lorries would entail.

The agency told me stobarts only have modern units (I was worried about gear boxes as I passed in an automatic) but the units here range are mostly old 11 and 12 plate manuals. My trainer has said I will have to use a manual sooner rather than later as I will most likely get one.

Working on rigids is also required which I was not told about. My trainer says he wants to show me everything and not to worry. It seems like an awful lot to take in.

Also what’s up with the people behind the desk at the place where you get a job? They all look stressed out running around like headless chickens!

The stobart drivers seem to stick with each other around the rdc but another driver that my trainer knows told me to expect it. Also it seems stobart drivers get the best drops? My trainer said they all get the decker runs which last all shift.

I’m not too sure this job is for me but I’m going to crack on with it and learn something.

hi nick, I cant offer much advice as I haven’t achieved my class 1 yet, but from what you say so far, the job don’t sound to bad to me!. i think collecting cages and empty boxes etc, is pretty much standard at most places, the aldi/lidil drivers are loading and unloading at all drops, so its something to bare in mind whilst starting your new career, from reading posts on here there are a lot worse, id take the positives personally… A) as a new starter you have been given a start. B.) you are training with an driver that’s willing to help and show you the ropes. and C.) you got a start, as a new pass that’s the most important thing here. give it time and if its really not for you them move on, as your ,moving on with experience that you didn’t have before. but I think you need to be realistic when it comes to interaction with the loads being delivered! good look and enjoy it, id love to be in your position right now :slight_smile:

To be fair to Tesco a major cororate company If you are new they don’t care how long you take there trucks are limited to 49.5mph so this really says it all and they’ve all been new themselves. They give you the maps at the start of the shift if it’s a double decker take your time to prepare your route before starting invest in a map and double check the route it’s really easy work though.
Do your checks and have a break on the way up if you want never had an issue with that once you get to the store take your time to read through the turning in the yard if there’s anything in the way be prepared to move it away. To make life a bit easier once your in the store say you are due a break and say I’ll be back in 30mins make full use of there facility’s and they usually unload it for you don’t hang about after though as they will tell the depot. Again on the way back you can take another break and don’t forget the 10 mins vehicle compliance checks after the breaks and at end on the shift

NicholasFromWidnes:

Out of curiosity, what did you think it would entail? Not being funny, just curious about your expectations; did you go for HGV driving because you knew someone, or is it something completely new to you?

You’ve got someone with you, way better than having some keys thrown at you and told to get on with it :open_mouth: . Once you get the first day over and done with, you’ll find yourself wondering why you were so worried.

Good luck and as I live in Runcorn, I’ll be giving the Stobarts motors a wide berth today ( just joking :wink: )

Don’t be carried along by the moaners who worry themselves more about what run someone else has got than their own work.
There are always cliques, some drivers ( i among them) will treat and speak to an agency lad the same as anyone else, some will either ignore the agency lads or barely speak to them, don’t worry about those in the second tier ain’t worth bothering with anyway.

On agency you’ll be on hourly pay, as such there is no good or bad work because it all pays the same rate, if the work is harder as such you just take your time so you don’t do so much of it.
When you’ve been around a while you can find that the jobs some of those others don’t want can be both interesting and £rewarding.

Always remember schedules are approximate, you will get there when you get there, and you will get back when you get back, there are no prizes for being finished first (and take no bloody notice when you hear billy whizz being congratulated for getting back in record time, you’ll learn why in the fullness of time), there are definately no prizes for causing damage at the store nor for stuffing the trailer into a low bridge, so take your time and do the job at a speed you are happy with, you’ll naturally become swifter as time progresses, but remember if you can knock a 13 hour job off in 10 hours don’t be surprised when they start giving you second jobs and expect that 10 hour turn around to be your new schedule.

Having to dekit returns and empties varies from job to job, just as being prepared to help load your own outgoing cages, its all part of the job.
Some drivers can’t cope with this, the chauffeurs that is and other’s who believe their own propaganda that they’re above such menial tasks :unamused: , but again you’re being paid for every minute you are at work so what’s the problem in working steadily doing what has been asked of you.

One supermarket i used to do agency for, if they were really behind and say a dozen or drivers, agency or full time, were waiting for loads, they would ask politely if we’d help the loaders put cages on our own particular runs, i never minded doing so as did most others, but i’ve seen other agency bods sent home when they refused to do help, and no they didn’t get their fabled 8 hours pay simply for turning up :laughing:

Juddian:
Having to dekit returns and empties varies from job to job, just as being prepared to help load your own outgoing cages, its all part of the job.
Some drivers can’t cope with this, the chauffeurs that is and other’s who believe their own propaganda that they’re above such menial tasks :unamused: , but again you’re being paid for every minute you are at work so what’s the problem in working steadily doing what has been asked of you.

One supermarket i used to do agency for, if they were really behind and say a dozen or drivers, agency or full time, were waiting for loads, they would ask politely if we’d help the loaders put cages on our own particular runs, i never minded doing so as did most others, but i’ve seen other agency bods sent home when they refused to do help, and no they didn’t get their fabled 8 hours pay simply for turning up :laughing:

And the other point is being helpful may bag you another better job. We employed someone who was working casual at another firm because he was a pleasant helpful lad and looking for full time with one company. Driving is only half the job really.

As for “rubbish” it’s recycling cardboard & plastics so in theory it should be in cages and relatively clean it’s not like they are gonna send you round the car park litter picking whilst unloading you :smiley:

albion:

Juddian:

And the other point is being helpful may bag you another better job. We employed someone who was working casual at another firm because he was a pleasant helpful lad and looking for full time with one company. Driving is only half the job really.

Spot on, it all goes to making that all important reputation in the transport game, which as any fule nose :wink: is a far smaller world than some think, it’s no coincidence that those who go the extra mile and do what needs to be done have a habit of ending up on the better jobs.

The open road driving part has become quite a minor sideshow now, unless like some here( :blush: :sunglasses: ) you refuse to be automated, then all the modern driver does is sit on ample behind and steer.

Thank you for the replies guys :smiley:

I think my problem was that I was told a different story in the office than what the actual reality of the job was which took me by surprise even though I did think it was too good to be true in the first place.

The job is extremely physical, unloading those cages at store and especially the cages filled with drinks that are heavy along with dollies of meat which are poorly stacked and always fall. The worst culprit is the frozen stuff, the straps are frozen along with the wheels on the cages9 Staff at the Tesco stores haven’t helped us so far with unloading. They just stand there watching you but my trainer says a lot of Tesco staff won’t help you whereas a small minority will be on the back unloading before you get out of the cab. Then when you get to the recycling place you have to unload the cages and then reload with empty cages to drop off at the rdc.

I think I just need to lower my expectations and be grateful I’ve been given a job as a new pass and the stobart planner said I can be with my trainer as long as I want until I feel comfortable on my own which I thought was really nice of him. And funny enough I did speak with a stobart driver when ending my shift this morning, he was really nice and said he’s been working there for years. He says that stobart know it’s a job with a high turnover of staff and want to make it easier on the drivers so have employed staff at the recycling place to help unload and reload the trailers.

I’ll start my shift soon and to be honest I felt a lot better now than I did when going to bed. I know what to expect now so no more surprises.

It’s rare for a new pass to land the better jobs, just count it as part of your learning experience on your way to a better job.

And after a couple of weeks, you’ll have learnt the techniques that make pushing the trolleys around easier.

Good luck.

Around Glasgow city centre Tesco and Sainsbury’s & Gist ( M&S) drivers don’t leave the truck put cages on tail lift store staff take into store and put empties back on tail lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostSomeWhere:
Around Glasgow city centre Tesco and Sainsbury’s & Gist ( M&S) drivers don’t leave the truck put cages on tail lift store staff take into store and put empties back on tail lift

Only because some thieving toerag would be in the back [emoji23][emoji23][emoji38]

blue estate:

LostSomeWhere:

Only because some thieving toerag would be in the back [emoji23][emoji23][emoji38]

[emoji41]

Ah guys I feel like crap at the moment. Have just finished a job and was told by a shunter to park the trailer up on the bay and because I was taking a while a shunter pulls in front of me and tells me to get it on or he will do it for me. I ended up panicking and lost my head. Had to park outside the goods out and wait for my trainer who had went inside to use the toilet. My confidence is shot now :blush:

There isn’t a driver alive that doesn’t have some stories to tell about the day they felt like an idiot , mostly it’ll be a reversing story. Just keep going, some people get their kicks out of knocking people down, they are little people. Most people will help you out, remembering that 34 shunt day in their first week.

The shunter is a merchant ****** (rhymes with banker) bigging himself up in what loosely passes for his tiny mind, take no notice.

The first weeks and months are a nightmare for everyone, anyone who reckons they had it all sussed from day one is deluded, you’ll look back on this and laugh at it soon enough, but that shunter will still be a merchant…

Shunters can be dicks. There job involves periods of rushing around and they can get annoyed if someone slows them down, that being said that is no reason to be rude. Just explain to him that your a new driver next time and trying to learn if that fails tell him to F-OFF.

I currently have to reverse a-frame tailers a lot to customers and I still struggle with them although I can reverse them. I get a few people get annoyed waiting for me to back in to a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ but I know for a fact they couldn’t do it.
Even let an artic driver attempt the reverse once as he needed me out of the way; couldn’t even reverse it 10 meters back in a straight line.