Career changer - where do I start?

Hi guys,
I’m looking to become a trucker, tramping interests me.

I’m just looking for any tips along the way.

I’d rather hear from guys on here than a training company with sales targets.

I believe I have to get cat C + E on my licence.

What’s he best way to start these, what should I watch out for, such as ‘qualify in 5 days’ etc.

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne is anyone knows any good courses/agencies in the area.

Thanks in advance

Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question:

Read everything in ROG signature. Avoid training brokers at all costs.

Don’t know any training schools in your area as I’m in the Midlands. But if you’re up for a drive then I’d recommend Peter Smythe transport training near Mansfield. Did my cat C with them and it’s a top notch training school in every way. If nothing else use them as the bench mark when looking at schools more local.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

polly293:
Hi guys,
I’m looking to become a trucker, tramping interests me.

I’m just looking for any tips along the way.

I’d rather hear from guys on here than a training company with sales targets.

I believe I have to get cat C + E on my licence.

What’s he best way to start these, what should I watch out for, such as ‘qualify in 5 days’ etc.

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne is anyone knows any good courses/agencies in the area.

Thanks in advance

I just passed my Class 2 (Cat C) 2 weeks back with TTS at Kingston park (Behind Homebase), office staff are very friendly and accommodating, instructors are very knowledgeable. My instructor has had a 100% pass rate this year so far.

I’m back there on Friday for my Mod 4 test.

As they are part of Gateshead college their prices are cheaper than most places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dan - I looked on their site and the point of contact is an old school friend of mine!
I’ve spoken to them on Facebook to get the ball rolling.

Thank you to the other two people for replying too.

Hi polly! Why tramping? Just curious, for me it was a way to escape family life and all the petty arguments that went with it. I am thinking of returning to driving for a while, but it will be night trunking if anything. I’m done sleeping in a tin box and being away from mrs jbaz. Each to their own I guess :slight_smile:

jbaz73:
Hi polly! Why tramping? Just curious, for me it was a way to escape family life and all the petty arguments that went with it. I am thinking of returning to driving for a while, but it will be night trunking if anything. I’m done sleeping in a tin box and being away from mrs jbaz. Each to their own I guess :slight_smile:

In recent years I’ve been working in education; lecturer, NVQ assessor, teaching assistant and distance learning tutor (as well as a relief support worker for people with disabilities). I’ve found a lot of this unethical and not motivational. All three of my current contracts are casual (zero hour) and I’m sick and want a full time job.

It was pointed out to me that I was good at driving (when being persuaded to hire a car abroad) so I thought I’d look for a career in driving. Driving is something I enjoy, passed my test 15 years ago this week and have clocked up several miles without ever crashing.

Small delivery jobs tend to be a lot of this ‘own your own van and be self employed with unlimited earnings’ on which I’ve read reviews and it look a load of false promises.

So I looked further afield and saw that there’s plenty of trucker jobs. I have no family ties and enjoy spending time alone. Tramping fits the bill. Plus, I’ll see new places, see the job as worthwhile because I’m providing a desired service.

On another note, Polly is the Springer Spaniel - I’m Lee.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever heard of dogs being allowed in their trucks?

polly293:
dogs being allowed in their trucks?

Dipper Dave, will be along to tell you… :laughing:

Hi lee :laughing: (sorry about calling you polly)

Generally speaking, dogs won’t be allowed

Driving is easy, getting lost, securing the load, faffing about with the curtains and the thousand other things that are other work are hard.

It’s not all about driving around, it’s the other stuff that makes the job a bind and don’t forget that vosa can fine you if you get it wrong and get caught. That being said, if you think it’s for you, go for it!

For training companies either TTS at Kingston Park or there is an independent guy called Dave ( Sunderland HGV ) apparently good if I was you stay away from Tyne & Wear on the Felling By pass have heard several bad reports about them if you want more info just ask

Yes there are tramping jobs around there are some companies even take on new drivers there are even some half decent agency in the area

Don’t expect a high wage up here but you probably know this if you have looked ( make sure there not all agency jobs you have looked at )

If on Facebook ask to join "North East Truckers " there is a good bit banter etc on there

Most places won’t allow you to take dogs with you

You will have to do a medical then HPT & 100 multi choice questions then Cat C then CE

A read of this might help

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles

animal:
You will have to do a medical then HPT & 100 multi choice questions then Cat C then CE

Thank you for both your posts.
I find it much easier to learn when interacting with people rather than just reading!

If you want to go driving now to see if you like it these are after drivers have anything form vans upto Cat C

OSE are after drivers based in Gateshead you will have the choice of doing local, UK & European work

Jeff 07989398292

polly293:

animal:

Thank you for both your posts.
I find it much easier to learn when interacting with people rather than just reading!

Maybe but you will need to know all of that it is the driver hours

animal:
If you want to go driving now to see if you like it these are after drivers have anything form vans upto Cat C

OSE are after drivers based in Gateshead you will have the choice of doing local, UK & European work

Jeff 07989398292

Is Jeff an OSE contact?
Googled the number and nothing has come up.
Also, is the first line of the post about OSE as well?

polly293:

animal:

Jeff 07989398292

Is Jeff an OSE contact?
Googled the number and nothing has come up.
Also, is the first line of the post about OSE as well?

Yes or office number 0191 224 6710