The struggles of a 19 year old, inexperienced driver

Hey, so a little backstory. While at college studying I saved up for a class 2 course. I did the course in August and passed. I went to do an apprenticeship however it really wasn’t my thing and I had a few issues with management so I just left before Christmas.

Since then I have been job hunting. I have signed up with agencies however I don’t really expect them to find me anything (I’m sure I’m at the bottom of the pile) Obviously after Christmas vacancies will be a tad dry but unfortunately the jobs that I do find, require driving experience or a 21-25 minimum age, or both! After knocking on doors I almost bagged a job with a local company that is part of palletways network however before assessment drive I was told that their insurance doesn’t cover my age! I was gutted.

I live in Swanley, Kent. So there is the advantage of being real close to distribution centres, especially ones in Thurrock which is only 20-30 mins away. However most of these have security at the entrance. After a bit of research I tried contacting agencies affiliated with the supermarket distribution centres however with no experience they didn’t want to know me.

At the moment I am a bit demotivated from getting a job denied due to my age. It seems like I have to wait until I’m 21 or even 25 to be able to get insured driving a truck! I will however continue my search. If anyone has any suggestions that they could throw my way that would be greatly appreciated.

To clarify and perhaps the employers don’t know ( or they might just not want to chance a 19 year old!), it’s generally an uplift in the excess. Our excess is £1000.00, if an under 25 year old driver has an accident then the excess is £1500.00 - that uplift will vary from insurance company to insurance company.

I have made this suggestion before, if you feel it’s appropriate, then offer to pay the £500.00 extra in the extremely unlikely chance you have an accident.

Please note, I’m not suggesting that this is the way it should be, but if you were happy to do it and it gets you a foot in the door then crack on. And I’d say if I were to do that, I’d put a limit on it as well - six months no accidents then no paying the extra excess.

It’s not something I’ve ever asked my under 25 year old drivers to do, then again we do a lot of double manning, so I have the luxury of feedback from an experienced driver and the chance for the newbie to learn on the job.

Good luck Luke.

Just to add, I think small companies are the way forward, hauliers remember starting out themselves.

One suggestion if you get an interview, at no point ever say that you had issues with the management. The management may have been complete tw@ts, (or not), but if I hear that phrase, I automatically think - this one’s going to be trouble.

More and more companies are taking on young drivers via apprenticeships. If a company is running one of these schemes it would suggest to me that they will have the required cover to take young & inexperienced drivers

Do a google search for companies that run apprenticeships and apply direct

You will hit this problem over and over. Don’t give up, there are jobs out there that will overlook your age, it’s just a matter of finding them.

I started at my place in September 2017. I was 18 years and 6 months old then. So it is possible for a youngster to get their foot in the door. Don’t stop looking!

Drop me a PM if you’d like to hear about what my experience was like and I may be able to give you a helping hand :slight_smile:

Good luck

Just out of interest, what was the apprenticeship doing?

This time of year is quiet anyway for everyone. I highly doubt that you will have much joy with agencies, you will probably have more success applying direct.

Try local waste firms pal…Good luck

I was in a similar position, visit firms with a bit of research, a keen attitude and gear within reach, that should put you near the top of the pile. Family firms are probably your best bet.

Have you seen Shakespeare Transport? They look like they are looking for drivers and accept new passes. I’d download the application form and see if you can deliver it in person. Possibly call them and see if you can deliver it in person first.

shakespearetransport.co.uk