Understanding EU/WTD Rules

Just sitting trying to get my head round the EU/ WTD Rules and I understand most of it up to now, but have come across an example in the DFT Publication: “European Union (EU) rules on drivers’ hours and working time”

So total duty time is 13:15, am I right in thinking this now constitutes a reduced daily rest as you can’t get a full 11 hours rest before the start of the next 24 hour period albeit by 15 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanHill87:
So total duty time is 13:15, am I right in thinking this now constitutes a reduced daily rest as you can’t get a full 11 hours rest before the start of the next 24 hour period albeit by 15 minutes?

Yup.

Reef:

DanHill87:

Yup.

Thanks,

One other thing:

POA: am I right in thinking you count it as part of your overall duty time but you don’t count it as working time when working out when to take breaks?

DanHill87:
POA: am I right in thinking you count it as part of your overall duty time but you don’t count it as working time when working out when to take breaks?

Yes POA counts as part of the overall shift but not as part of the working time.

Sent from my mobile.

tachograph:

DanHill87:

Yes POA counts as part of the overall shift but not as part of the working time.

Sent from my mobile.

Thank you :slight_smile:

DanHill87:

Reef:

DanHill87:

Yup.

Thanks,

One other thing:

Yes. So you sound like you’re aware of the WTD breaks? So you need 15 minutes before 6 hours, another 15 before 9 hours etc etc…

So in that first six hours, starting at 5am for example you’d need a 15min WTD break by 11am latest. If youre on POA for an hour at say 7.30am you’re six hours gets pushed back by an hour and is up at 12pm.

Hope this helps.

toonsy:

DanHill87:

Reef:

DanHill87:

Yup.

Thanks,

One other thing:

Yes. So you sound like you’re aware of the WTD breaks? So you need 15 minutes before 6 hours, another 15 before 9 hours etc etc…

So in that first six hours, starting at 5am for example you’d need a 15min WTD break by 11am latest. If youre on POA for an hour at say 7.30am you’re six hours gets pushed back by an hour and is up at 12pm.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I understand the whole driving breaks and wtd breaks just wasn’t 100% what effect POA had on them, I’ve read in other threads of other people not using POA full stop, is there any reason for this?

toonsy:
So you need 15 minutes before 6 hours, another 15 before 9 hours etc etc…

No rule says the driver must have a second 15 before 9 hours

DanHill87:
Yeah I understand the whole driving breaks and wtd breaks just wasn’t 100% what effect POA had on them, I’ve read in other threads of other people not using POA full stop, is there any reason for this?

Yes, if you were salaried based on a set working week, whatever POA you counted wouldn’t necessarily be counted (depending what your company is like, pound of flesh etc, some companies don’t recognise POA at all), so you could end up working 60 hours actual work (if you booked 12 hours POA) and yet they could book you down as a 48 hour week, so you’ve effectively given them 12 hours free.

Some other companies pay very high wages for stand down time, ie over £100 a day, some pay full average, so twice a year they get an extra week or so paid holiday to bring their hours back down, if they booked POA they might not get that extra time off.

I don’t use POA but if another employer asked me to I would want a good reason as to why. A lot of companies out there will try to make you use POA so they don’t have to pay it.

Juddian:

DanHill87:

Yes, if you were salaried based on a set working week, whatever POA you counted wouldn’t necessarily be counted (depending what your company is like, pound of flesh etc, some companies don’t recognise POA at all), so you could end up working 60 hours actual work (if you booked 12 hours POA) and yet they could book you down as a 48 hour week, so you’ve effectively given them 12 hours free.

Some other companies pay very high wages for stand down time, ie over £100 a day, some pay full average, so twice a year they get an extra week or so paid holiday to bring their hours back down, if they booked POA they might not get that extra time off.

In this case do you just set it as Other Work?

Some that work in Transport offices can’t understand it. We’re getting told now we must have a 30 minute break as soon as we hit the 6 hour mark?! :open_mouth:

ROG:

toonsy:

Or at 9 hours then lol

toonsy:

ROG:

toonsy:

Or at 9 hours then lol

Not a rule to do so

Legal example where driving time breaks are not needed in a 13 hour shift
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 6 hours
break 15 mins
work 10 mins
break 15 mins
work 5 mins