Splitting Class 2 training across a few weeks?

Hi guys, sorry not posted for a while.

I’m hoping to organise my Class 2 training soon.

Quick question: assuming it’s OK with the school, is it feasible to spread the training (and cost) across a few weeks? For example do a 4-hour session every week for 5 weeks, instead of an intensive 20 hours in one go?

Or does that not work? Would I forget stuff from one week to the next?

Seems like the other way round from car lessons, where intensive courses are the exception.

Thanks all

In my opinion it’s a better idea to do whole course in one bit. If you can’t afford to have 5 days off at work (in a row) go for a weekend course.
I think it probably depens on your individual abilities but I prefer to see my progress and how I’m dealing with my mistakes hour by hour and day by day. I’m pretty sure I would be forgetting a lot having just 4 hours of training every week.
Also you mentioned about spreading the cost over few weeks. If you struggling to save your money maybe Pete’s newest offer is for you {interest free credit).

Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks, that’s great and I will take a look at Pete’s offer!

How does a weekend course work? How many hours a day (so how many weekends)?

wombleofwimbledon:
Thanks, that’s great and I will take a look at Pete’s offer!

How does a weekend course work? How many hours a day (so how many weekends)?

I didn’t do a weekend course myself. But I know they do it. So let’s wait for Pete to answer.

But I’m pretty sure it is a one weekend course with a test on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I done my C+E over the weekend, but it was still a four day course.

4 hours Sat, Sun, Mon, & Tue morning with a 1 hour drive and test on the Wednesday.

I am unsure that 8 hour training days are available as i dd not ask the provider I went with, but for me personally that would be too much to do in one day.

I was knackered after the four hours, taking in what the instructor was saying, concentrating on the road, taking as much information in as possible etc, I never realised it would be so tiring.

All the best.

Many do car lessons the way you want to so doing LGV in the same way should not cause any major issues - it also allows you to be more flexible as to when the test is booked in case you are not ready

I spoke with a few training providers trying do something similar but none were able to accomodate. Planning instructors and trucks in being the main reason also continuity of learning was also mentioned.

For a good chance of passing you are going to need to learn the test routes intimately. Are you going to be able to do this spread over many weeks?

Thanks guys, all food for thought.

Re the test routes, maybe I could do some of that learning by car?

Incidentally this has probably been asked before but how do the drivers hours rules work if you spend a few days working as a class 2 driver then a few days training for class 1? Does the clock stop when you finish class 2 work, however many hours you’ve done?

wombleofwimbledon:
Thanks guys, all food for thought.

Re the test routes, maybe I could do some of that learning by car?

Incidentally this has probably been asked before but how do the drivers hours rules work if you spend a few days working as a class 2 driver then a few days training for class 1? Does the clock stop when you finish class 2 work, however many hours you’ve done?

If you are paying for C+E on your own time in a training vehicle then it is tacho exempt and the time is rest

IMO there’s nothing wrong with training over a few weeks. But it is difficult for some trainers, us included, to schedule this to ensure the same vehicle and instructor each week. And this is why we don’t encourage it.

If it’s a finance issue, then £1000 free finance is available for the asking. And we ask no questions.

If it’s a time issue, then we train at weekends - 7 hours Sat and 7 hours Sunday with test Monday morning. Some say this is too intensive but in 2017 we achieved a 98% first time pass rate on weekend training so I would take issue with that.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just a quick question can you drive.
If yes do an assessment drive.
That’s what I did then 6 hours 1to1 training test the day after.
Job done.

As people have commented it can be difficult from a trainer/instructor point of view. It’s good to keep continuity and issues raised fresh In your head and to be able to address said issues quickly rather than waiting a few days/weeks between lessons.

I would consider the time in between each lesson if you are driving another vehicle you will get accustomed to the gearbox, brake pedal feel and clutch biting point etc if applicable and need to readjust each time you go out again. I made a point of not driving anything else until after my test when c and e and i think c also, but was doing two 7hr days sat sun and test mon morning, so not a big sacrifice. Most of the time at present i’m driving a six speed box so when I hop in a splitter it doesn’t take long before I’ve stalled at lights.

I had a week and a half between training and my test, due to snow. I absolutely avoided taking out any of our rigids or vans with exception of a 20 minute dart in one to take it for a service.

Also spent the week and a half when driving my car taking the lines I would need to take in an artic and using as much space as a forty foot trailer would need :grimacing: people must have thought I was drunk

My opinion is it’s best to get it done in one hit to keep everything fresh in your mind.

Having said that I failed my C+E first time and had three weeks before retest and went back and it felt like I’d not forgotten anything and I passed so maybe I’m ■■■ pooing my own opinion :laughing:

I went straight to class 1 and did it 2 hours a week, like car driving lessons. I would say that it probably works out more expensive. If that’s your bag, why not? Go for it, why not